Quinoa

2»

Replies

• TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Quinoa bread is also one of my faves..... you can buy it at Tradrer Joes or I have used this recipe ( made with agave nectar)

http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/05/red-quinoa-bread.html
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 983 Member
    hmmmm... I'll have to try some of these
  • Tip for steel cut oats - soak them over night and microwave them! I've been struggling to eat them because they just didn't seem to cook enough, but last night I soaked a 1/4 cup in 1/2 cup of water - by morning they had absorbed most of the water and plumped up - I just popped them in the microwave with some diced apple and some cinnamon and they were MUCH better than my stove top attempts.
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    For Quinoa, I love it with shredded chicken breast, avocado, tomato, cucumber and feta. Usually top it with oil and vinager dressing.

For my Steel cut oats, I cook them and near the end add liquid egg whites, raisins, cinamon and vanilla extract.

For greek yogurt - I eat it as is with some Kashi go Lean crunch on top and fruit mixed in. My fave is to let a mix of frozen peaches and raspberries defrost and mix that in. I have greek yogurt daily.
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    I cooked mine in just water incase I wanted to incorporate it into different recipes. I usually eat mine cold with honey & cinnamon or raspberry agave nectar.
  • soarinup
    soarinup Posts: 20
    The recipes I have seen for Quinoa all seem to be like pasta salads. They are all delicious. But I think you use it like pasta.
  • Gymrat13
    Gymrat13 Posts: 4
    Greek Yogurt w 1/2 cup Kashi GoLean & 1/2 cup bluberries...mixed together..great FILLING breakfast!!

Trader Joes makes already cooked, steel cut oats in a frozen microwavable pouch. 2 indivivual servings in each box. 3 minutes in the microwave....doesnt get much easier than that!!

For instant oats, (no sugar)...1/2 cup oats in 1 cup water. Put in blender bottle (GNC) & put in refrigerator before bed. Leave overnight, in the morning add 2 scoops of protein powder & shake. Looks a bit funky, but a perfect breakfast before heading to the gym!!

Thanks for the quinoa tips, everyone!!
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    I actually just bought some quinoa yesterday at the store...now I've got a few ideas, thanks!!!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Be sure to rinse the quinoa really well in a strainer before you cook it. This will alleviate the bitterness. I like to cook it in chicken broth, then add curry and garlic. But you can experiement. Use it in place of rice or potato. Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.