Overwhelmed

Options
Hello everyone!
I am new to MFP but I have been trying to lose weight for about 10 years. I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of information out there and how to get started so I thought I'd do this with support and offer support to other people. Please help me and I can also help you!
How do I get started? What's the best way to begin?
I'm also looking to meet new people too =)
Hayley :drinker:

Replies

• maryh1974
    maryh1974 Posts: 41
    Options
    You can do it , I to feel overwhelmed with all the info ,for now all I am trying to do is stay in my calorie range and working out...Hey ! that's a good start :)
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    What really helped me get started was reading the Eat This, Not That books! They gave me a completely different outlook, not only about what I was eating, but how I shopped for groceries. I learned how to really read labels!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat healthy foods. Not too much. There isn't an easy way.

You can do it, Hayley.
  • mamacath
    mamacath Posts: 51
    Options
    Hello & welcome to MFP .. You can do this .. good luck in your journey and we are all here to help.. I agree with Mary I stick with my calorie goal for the day or lower and workout .. it is the best place to start :flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest way to get started is to look at what you eat, and mark it down here in the food journal. After a few weeks, try to get the numbers on your home page to show a big ol ZERO at the end of the day! Then add in some exercise... then add in fresh fruits/veggies... amp up your exercise... months down the road you will be eating so healthy and exercising and feeling great!!

First, easy step, just mark down what you eat. :smile: Let us all know whats going on! Be active, post your thoughts, your day, anything! Stick around and you WILL succeed! :)
  • whitneyrenae
    whitneyrenae Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just take small steps!! Start out working out only twice a week, and when your body feels ready add a day all the way up until you can do 5-6 days a week. And dont go on any crash diets... slowly cut the sweets and sodas out. Trust me I know from experience... you cant quit cold turkey on anything or you will bot succeed!! Good luck girl!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    im pretty new to and sometimes feel pretty overwhelmed but right now im just focusing on eating better, staying under my calorie allotment and exercising. i think its just a matter of taking it all in and learning from day to day. today was not a great day with eating and i only got in a half hour at the gym but because of that i will do better tomorrow. hang in there u will do good request me as friend if ud like id love to help motivate you
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is to start where you are. Eat what you are used to eating, but record it. See clearly what kinds of fuel you are giving yourself. After a few days you will probably start to want to make some changes to the foods. Visit the recipe section here. There is a lower calorie version of almost everything. Starting tomorrow make it a point to move a bit more than you are used to moving. If you can get outside and walk the kids to a park, super! If that's not possible just be sure to move around the house more. As you move more you will want to move more. Start where you are and build on your successes. Weight will never come off as quickly as you wish, but if you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight!
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I felt the same exact way! Here is what I did...
    For the first few days I simply just logged what I ate. (I added any normal exercise I did which was minimal when I did it).
    Once I started doing that I naturally started looking at what I was eating and changing it a little at a time. I was itching to add exercise soon after and did. I had various videos, walked my dog and kids in the stroller, and did what I could when I could to add more places to exercise.
    You will know when to push yourself and as you get the hang of MFP you will find that the info people can give is amazing and then you can choose what you listen to and what you don't.
    Above all do what works for you and enjoy yourself. It's not about quick results but a life change!
    Good Luck!!!!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thinking a little more about this:

It is expensive, by the biggest motivator and EASIEST thing I did for myself, was purchase a heart rate monitor. I use a Polar FT7 and it was $85 on amazon. It motivates me to run faster, try harder, and basically to get it done!! It really helped me fall in love with working out, and to think, just buying this thing is all that I changed. :smile: It is a really big purchase for many of us, but when you have the finances available, please look into it.
  • Erica925
    Erica925 Posts: 2
    Options
    JOURNAL, JOURNAL,JOURNAL...EACH AND EVERY CALORIE YOU EAT.

Do this for 1 week- what you would eat on any normal day.

After the first week, use the calculator to determine how many calories you SHOULD be eating to lose 1-2 pounds per week.

This is the best way to lose weight quicker. Also invest $20 and get a pedometer. Aim for 10k steps/day.

Drink WATER!!!

If you do these 3 small changes..I guarentee you will lose weight. This is what I have been doing and I lost 15 pounds in 2 months by doing the above.

This goes to anyone else reading this. If you need help figuring out your daily calories/day..sent me a message. I would be glad to help you.

Good Luck!!

Erica.