Vibram FiveFingers

Options
2»

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of Sprints when they first came out years ago. Then I killed a pair of KSOs. Now I have a new pair of Bikilas which are fab too. Love Vibrams.
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    I love love love my Vibs!! !! ! ! Good Luck! As others have said, they take some time to "break-in" your legs and feet, but they are so worth it! i would wear mine full time if i didn't work in a business atmosphere.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Can you get them anywhere? Where do you buy them?
    People say it takes time to break them in, well, does it help build muscle too?
  • IanGiles
    IanGiles Posts: 54
    Options
    I have 3 pairs now and wear them (much to the dismay of my partner) almost 24/7 during the summer. They are great, got my from a place called the Kayak Shed.
  • hotelsierra
    Options
    People say it takes time to break them in, well, does it help build muscle too?

Yes, it helps to build/strengthen the muscles, tendons in your legs and feet-
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have the new women's merrells. So far so good. Minimalist running is different, so take it easy to get used to the form. You will strike more mid to fore foot vs. Your running shoes which is generally more of a heel strike for most folks. Because of this, your calves will hurt like he'll for a few weeks of running...
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    I ordered my merrells from zappos so that I could ensure a good fit since they have free shipping both ways.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    I can't wait to go VFF! I have the NB Ultra minimalist Trail Runner right now for my runs, which are so light it's ridiculous! Just ran my first half in them. Goal is to be able to do the same in Vibrams (or similar) by September. Also- for those of you who can't wear vibrams to work and need a dress shoe- this can be tough! I originally tried to buy off of Terra plana. LOVED the company's enviro-friendly outlook and set up, was squirmish about the price but decided to buy anyways (about $100 for cheapest shoe), only to get them and say - uhm I don't think so. They feel FANTASTIC (I bought the Kali flat). But if you care about looks at all they were so wide (yes I get that's part of the point)- and I have a wide foot so that's saying a lot. Couldn't do it. Returned them (tried to exchange for smaller size but they don't have any 8 in stock- ANY!) and Amazon searched ballet flats. SCORE! Found a company called Ballasox- most comfortable shoe ever and Yosi Samra- very trendy fun shoes. They are just as minimalist as terra Plana flats, but look cute and come in awesome colors (if you're adventurous)- and normal colors too). Both are around $50/pair. Plus they actually have stock- which terra Plana did not. If you've ever worn a ballet shoe these are the same thing except they have a thin plastic sole instead of suede. Happy Barefooting! (Or as close to it as your job will allow).
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've done some barefoot running in the past. But actual barefoot, no Vibrams. More often now I'll just put on something that I can find that's minimal. The improvement in my form has been amazing. No more shin pain.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Hi, I got mine from footwearetc online. I'm from Australia and they haven't released the Bikila LS's here yet and when I fitted the regular Bikila's they were too tight at the top of my foot (I have wide feet).

I would suggest though that if you were to buy them online, to do some research first as there are alot of sites out there that sell fakes. If you have the choice of trying them on for size first, that would also be better... good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these, but I have some Inov8 barefoot shoes and have unfortunately damaged my ankle running too far in them. You need to be very careful running long distances in barefoot shoes as the lack of support can lead to impact/tendon injuries. I am fine with 10k in them, but currently have a tendon injury from doing 17k.
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    Is there something like the vibram without the spaces for the toes....where all 5 appendages could just be.... like a sock?

Yes. the Minimus Trail. Its made by New Balance so its a regular shoe. but has the Vibrams tech of a wide foot bed so you strike as if barefoot.

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/2010/11/17/new-balance-minimus-trail-review/
  • Flyntiggr
    Options

Is there something like the vibram without the spaces for the toes....where all 5 appendages could just be....

Yes, the new merrells have been called Vibram one fingers by quite a few reviewers, meaning they feel just like the VFFs but look like a normal shoe.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've spent alot of my weekend in these shoes... I've been walking in them and have done a couple of very short runs... they are extremely comfy and I am so happy I could cry... have gotten a lot of odd looks (I wore them while doing the supermarket run) but I don't care :) - i have no pain anywhere and my pf has disappeared!