never thought I'd have THIS issue...

Options
So, I'm baffled (and happy!) at the position I've found myself in the last little while. My cals have been reduced as I'm shrinking (yay!) and at first I thought 'I'm going to have to work out all day every day to survive this!' since at first, I NEEDED my exercise calories because without I would really feel starving. Now my cals are 1330 a day, net. I work out between 300 and 700 calories on the average day and I'm really finding it hard to get enough calories into me! I've still got about 1400 cals to eat today and that seems like so much. For those of you in this strange club where now eating ENOUGH is the issue, what are your tricks?? I don't want to use those calories for treats every day because it doesn't feel good in my body (I'm sorry, who the hell is posting this and what have you done with the Rhiannon I know?!?) and I would really like to fill up on good clean calories. Can I mutter again about how freaked out I am that I don't WANT to opt for a cookie or something?! lol

Replies

• PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So, I'm baffled (and happy!) at the position I've found myself in the last little while. My cals have been reduced as I'm shrinking (yay!) and at first I thought 'I'm going to have to work out all day every day to survive this!' since at first, I NEEDED my exercise calories because without I would really feel starving. Now my cals are 1330 a day, net. I work out between 300 and 700 calories on the average day and I'm really finding it hard to get enough calories into me! I've still got about 1400 cals to eat today and that seems like so much. For those of you in this strange club where now eating ENOUGH is the issue, what are your tricks?? I don't want to use those calories for treats every day because it doesn't feel good in my body (I'm sorry, who the hell is posting this and what have you done with the Rhiannon I know?!?) and I would really like to fill up on good clean calories. Can I mutter again about how freaked out I am that I don't WANT to opt for a cookie or something?! lol
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was having this issue, too. Quite a few people suggested nuts, peanut butter, trail mix, avocadoes, etc. Things that are good for you nutritionally and high in calories. I hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and once I added an extra 300-400 calories I started losing. My favorite, easy snack was an apple and 2 Tbsp of peanut butter. That was about 300 calories and it was filling as well as healthy and satisfying! Also try to change some of the things you usually eat "fat free" or "low fat" up to "low fat" or regular. I now eat regular cheese (same portion control) and low fat sour cream. Much tastier and it fits in my calories!
  • chibimimi
    chibimimi Posts: 12
    Options
    I was actually really surprised when I saw that when you exercised on this site, it added the amount of calories you could eat during the day. I always thought this was a really bad idea, since I've heard it called "compensating." I'm not sure if you know what this is, but basically it's when you're dieting and exercising. When you exercise, you take the amount of calories you burned and then eat with those. So you're compensating what calories you "lost" during exercising and just eating them back. I thought this was a bad thing so I was surprised when I saw it on the site.

This is a link to a study that was done about compensating: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/10/10/exercise_be_wary_of_compensating_with_diet.php

Any ideas about this? It kind of confused me some. Thanks for your time in advance.
    :wink:
  • PedalHound
    Options
    I was actually really surprised when I saw that when you exercised on this site, it added the amount of calories you could eat during the day. I always thought this was a really bad idea, since I've heard it called "compensating." I'm not sure if you know what this is, but basically it's when you're dieting and exercising. When you exercise, you take the amount of calories you burned and then eat with those. So you're compensating what calories you "lost" during exercising and just eating them back. I thought this was a bad thing so I was surprised when I saw it on the site.

This is a link to a study that was done about compensating: http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2007/10/10/exercise_be_wary_of_compensating_with_diet.php

Any ideas about this? It kind of confused me some. Thanks for your time in advance.

Disregard this article. The reference to compensation was, in my interpretation, people who exercise and therefore blindly consume a bit more food. There is strong research that shows that one of the obstacles to fat loss is that obese people experience some hormone and chemical discrepancy that causes hunger after exercise rather than a period of aversion to eating immediately following exercise than non-obese people experience. The article you linked (which itself admits the fundamental flaw of a small-scale research group) doesn't make reference in any way to the principles here which make excellent scientific sense. Because your net calories already equal the deficit that allows you to lose weight, if you expend even more calories and don't replace them your body will shut down your metabolism. It sounds to me like the people in the study were moreso eating a regular diet and, when exercising, ended up eating a little more. Whole different ball of wax. Does that make any more sense? :tongue:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

It's not "compensating" because MFP already has built in a deficit for you into the daily calorie intake suggestions. So, you are already eating less-eating less enough to lose whatever you choose as your goal weight loss per week. You eat the exercise calories to avoid going below a healthy level.

There are TONS of posts on this site about this--search and you'll find plenty to keep you reading. Here's one of the best ones:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Oh and yes, it works--47 pounds loss in 15 weeks during just that.
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Thanks shore - so much more concise than mine :laugh:
  • chibimimi
    chibimimi Posts: 12
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot! I was really shocked when I saw that. Ty.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Only because I've typed the same answer about 100 times in the last 15 weeks. :wink:
  • PedalHound
    Options

Only because I've typed the same answer about 100 times in the last 15 weeks. :wink:

Yes, I've noticed that I type out the summary often but it's only been 4 weeks for me :laugh: I'm sure I'll get to the "read this" stage soon! lol
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot! I was really shocked when I saw that. Ty.

Absolutely! There is SO MUCH information out there to decipher when it comes to fitness and nutrition. I think this is an area where it's best not to poke around too much - anyone can post anything on the internet and there's a lot out there to confuse us!
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    LOVE your (well, the one you found from HG Wells) quote Shorerider!!!

I do want to join the chorus on two things: (1) eating calorie dense food (that is healthy) is an awesome way to load up on good calories; (2) eating your exercise calories is necessary for all the reasons you MFP pros have discussed.

I also want to congratulate you, PedalHound!!!! YOU GOOOOOO!!!! That is awesome that you are not craving junk and that you're making good, nutritious choices. We all get so caught up in the numbers on the scale and on the measuring tape but, in my humble opinion, the true measure of success is that mind twist that says that you are doing this b/c it feels good and it feels right to treat your body this way!!!!!

Whoooo hoooooo to you!!!!!
  • PedalHound
    Options
    LOVE your (well, the one you found from HG Wells) quote Shorerider!!!

I do want to join the chorus on two things: (1) eating calorie dense food (that is healthy) is an awesome way to load up on good calories; (2) eating your exercise calories is necessary for all the reasons you MFP pros have discussed.

I also want to congratulate you, PedalHound!!!! YOU GOOOOOO!!!! That is awesome that you are not craving junk and that you're making good, nutritious choices. We all get so caught up in the numbers on the scale and on the measuring tape but, in my humble opinion, the true measure of success is that mind twist that says that you are doing this b/c it feels good and it feels right to treat your body this way!!!!!

Whoooo hoooooo to you!!!!!

Yay! Thanks :happy: Pats on the back always feel great :flowerforyou: