What is the most you have gone over?

Options
I am not feeling all that great about myself right now. I have been going over on calories way too much lately, and though I lose weight each week, it isn't enough for me because I know that it should be more. I see people going over by a hundred or so and going on about how horrible they did, so I was wondering how much you have gone over?

Replies

• bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I have a completely free day, I have been known to go over by 1000-1500 calories. I stopped logging those days because it only made me feel bad and I wanted the mental break from it too.

I may have a week that I don't lose, but it doesn't last long before I'm back on track.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've had one day where I doubled my calorie goal and another 2 where I had 50% more than my goal, weight still came off until this past 10-14 days where I've had more sodium / processed stuff as life was happening but I'm refocusing. When they happen I log them so I can go back over my "history" here and see what happened based on my calorie intake.

With my weight reaching what it did I know that these high calorie days used to be much more common via nutritionally empty processed junk.
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    I also tend not to track on my free day, but have been known to go over 300+ at times, I just try and do the exercise to counteract for what its worth.

Try not to get too down on your self when you go over, tomorrow is a new day to start a fresh. Try starting the day with a plan, then if you deviate from your plan a little maybe it won't be quite a bad :)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to go way over. On days that I go over, I still try to stay within my 'maintenance calorie' limit. No more than 500 over my goal+exercise calories. I also try to ensure I log everything all days, over or not. "Free" days are anything but - you pay for them. I practice daily indulgences and very rarely feel the need to binge since I haven't been depriving myself of anything.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I went 3,104 calories over last Friday & 3,427 over the next day. I was on vacation & I said the hell with it. I worked out hella hard this week. I jumped on the scale today, and gained like 1lbs. I laughed and told myself, YAY that's not that bad.

Maybe I should have not ate the entire buffet, but I'm still a WIP.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I went 3,104 calories over last Friday & 3,427 over the next day. I was on vacation & I said the hell with it. I worked out hella hard this week. I jumped on the scale today, and gained like 1lbs. I laughed and told myself, YAY that's not that bad.

Maybe I should have not ate the entire buffet, but I'm still a WIP.

You're a Woman In Power? :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've only been tracking it for about 2 weeks and I haven't gone over on my cals yet, but I've gone wayyyyy over on my sodium. 2000 mgs over today. Which is really bad because I have high blood pressure.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    the most I have gone over is 250 calories and that was on valentines day......I try very hard to stay within my calories
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've gone over like 10 calories and then up to 650 calories. Don't feel bad.....it just takes getting refocused and back on track! I would still log it and then see where you are really going over, and make small changes from there =D Best wishes!
  • MissWait
    Options
    Just to clarify I don't sit in the fridge and eat all day on my free day!! I'm not under any illusions that I don't pay for the food I consume :)
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well I had Chinese take out one weekend....enough said. ;) But I just chalk those days up to an indulgence. Like a wedding or any other event where healthy choices are few and far between. That is life, it happens. Just may have to work a little harder the following week. No big deal. :) Just try to make those days few and far between as well. :)
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    I love you guys!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i went way over last sat night, probably by 1000 or more.

i ended up having the 2nd best weightloss week ive ever had.
  • Life0nMars86
    Life0nMars86 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I just started last friday on 03-11 n I've went over a few times by prob 1,000-1,500. I felt horrible, I'm a recovering bulemic so seeing those numbers sadly made me puke. But even if I go over by a few hundred I still get dissapointed with myself but not nearly as much. I realize that I'm new at this and I'm learning, so it'll take some time to change my old ways. Plus I changed my goals from losing 2 lbs per week to 1 lb per week n it upped me from 1,200 cals to 1,420 cals....I know it may not be be quickest way to lose weight but on 1,200 i was so hungry all the time and i just kept going over and it made me so upset and increased my bulemia habits. So this way I can eat a little more and not feel so horrible for right now.
    No matter what though, I think we all get a little too obsessed with the numbers from my perspective, even if u go over 100 cals ur still prob way below what the # of cals per day that u used to eat b4 u started MFP was. So I say one step at a time, and we're only human...we're bound to have a few "cheat" days here or there esp. if we go out to eat or something and go over our goal cals, point is to realize how many cals those foods include and learn how to make smarter, healthier choices in the future.
    I'm nowhere near an expert on this subject but this is just my point of view because I know I've beaten myself up over these things and that's not really healthy, u just need to learn from ur mistakes.
    Hope this helped a bit =o)

5603738.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MissWait
    Options
    I just started last friday on 03-11 n I've went over a few times by prob 1,000-1,500. I felt horrible, I'm a recovering bulemic so seeing those numbers sadly made me puke. But even if I go over by a few hundred I still get dissapointed with myself but not nearly as much. I realize that I'm new at this and I'm learning, so it'll take some time to change my old ways. Plus I changed my goals from losing 2 lbs per week to 1 lb per week n it upped me from 1,200 cals to 1,420 cals....I know it may not be be quickest way to lose weight but on 1,200 i was so hungry all the time and i just kept going over and it made me so upset and increased my bulemia habits. So this way I can eat a little more and not feel so horrible for right now.
    No matter what though, I think we all get a little too obsessed with the numbers from my perspective, even if u go over 100 cals ur still prob way below what the # of cals per day that u used to eat b4 u started MFP was. So I say one step at a time, and we're only human...we're bound to have a few "cheat" days here or there esp. if we go out to eat or something and go over our goal cals, point is to realize how many cals those foods include and learn how to make smarter, healthier choices in the future.
    I'm nowhere near an expert on this subject but this is just my point of view because I know I've beaten myself up over these things and that's not really healthy, u just need to learn from ur mistakes.
    Hope this helped a bit =o)

5603738.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Well said :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Unplanned (i.e. something prevented me from getting my workout I went over my calorie goal simply to be able to eat dinner that night) - yesterday was the first time I ever had an unplanned over day and I was just under 300 over (but still had a 549 calorie deficit to what I actually burned, so I was over my MFP goal only)

Planned (i.e. dinners out w/friends, vacations, or when I go to Disneyland I eat from about 9am until I finally leave the park at midnight) - last Saturday we were in Disneyland for a friends engagement and the hubby was determined to "beat" the last time were in Disneyland as far as how many calories I was able to consume. I was over my MFP goal by 6,077 calories and had a calorie overage to what i actually burned that day of 4612 calories. I have a collage of every single thing I ate that day, if you want to see what 7,277 calories look like. lol http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfchild59/5525055307/
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Planned (i.e. dinners out w/friends, vacations, or when I go to Disneyland I eat from about 9am until I finally leave the park at midnight) - last Saturday we were in Disneyland for a friends engagement and the hubby was determined to "beat" the last time were in Disneyland as far as how many calories I was able to consume. I was over my MFP goal by 6,077 calories and had a calorie overage to what i actually burned that day of 4612 calories. I have a collage of every single thing I ate that day, if you want to see what 7,277 calories look like. lol http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfchild59/5525055307/

That is so awesome.

On a planned free day (once a week) I make a good effort to eat 500-1000 over.
    On on day that just ends up being a bad food day, it's probably around the same range, but I would try to keep it to ~300 over. I wish I could query the data I've logged and find out :/.

Karley, no reason to beat yourself up. If you're consistently losing week after week then you must be on the right trajectory. Of course, there's always room for improvement. If you want to get more strict about things, just do it. But if you stayed at the same consistent pace, you would still get to your goal. It doesn't seem like you've lost control. You've made great progress and I know you're keeping at it.
  • LukeEalden
    Options
    I think about 50 calories over is my high, I've only been over for 2 days this year since I've started.

If I'm desperate to eat something I know will take me over, I go to the gym first and 'earn' the food I've craved.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i went over by about 700 yesterday but then busted my butt for an hour to try to even it out lol
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Probably about 4000-5000 calories. :| Back in my cycling training days haha. Lately I've been averaging 2500-3000 calories per day though.