Financial guidance

Options
Hi guys, I know this is not fitness related but is anyone else here following dave ramsey financial guidance? If you don't know who he is you can google "dave ramsey the total money makeover".

He is my financial mentor and had help me tremendously not only financially but on almost all aspects of my life. I'm not selling anything on his behalf but his advices had been so helpful to me and my family that I feel is only right to pass his information around. and hope I can help you take control of your life just like Dave helped me.

Replies

• Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I'm not really following it, but I listen to his show on the radio quite a bit and I'm learning a lot.
  • Tuplatano
    Tuplatano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great, yes I also listen to his radio and sno w on fox business .Also read his too books. Boy it feel good being both financially and physically healthy.
  • sax_singer52
    sax_singer52 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are huge fans of Dave Ramsey. We are not strictly following his plans yet but are hoping to implement them soon. That is awesome that he is helping you become financially free.. it will be amazing when we are too!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    Can someone outline what kind of tips he offers?

Thank you in advance.
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    YES! We are very big fans of Dave Ramsey. We just 2 weeks ago paid off our car, and we are 'debt free except for our house'. He is very motivating to listen to and really knows his stuff.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Thank you I wish you well too.feel free to add me and be my Dave ramsey buddy.
  • Tuplatano
    Options

Thank you in advance.

I'm traveling now and typing from my phone but once I get home on my computer I will give you the outline
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The hubby and I will be screaming "I'm DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEE" in about 15 months!! :bigsmile: :heart: I love Dave!! :heart: I listen to his radio show all the time. :tongue: We've been on the program for about 2 years. We've fell off the bandwagon here and there but always manage to get back on it! He's been a saving grace for us and our future! :flowerforyou:
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Huge fans of Dave Ramsey. We have paid off our credit cards, husbands car will be paid off in 3 months (2 yrs early) and my car will be paid off in next 6mths (3.5yrs early) and then we will be debt free! WOOOHOOO Wish we would have started listening to him earlier
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    LOVE< LOVE< LOVE Dave Ramsey! I think like he does, even before I heard of him. I love his advice! My husband and I often say " what would Dave say?" when considering a financial decision or purchase.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    The hubby and I will be screaming "I'm DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEEE" in about 15 months!! :bigsmile: :heart: I love Dave!! :heart: I listen to his radio show all the time. :tongue: We've been on the program for about 2 years. We've fell off the bandwagon here and there but always manage to get back on it! He's been a saving grace for us and our future! :flowerforyou:

Nice to hear that. Congratulation guys, I be joining you on the"I'm debt freeeeer" scream in about 9 more months once I finish up with my student loan. That's my only debt left and can't wait to scream I'm debt freee! Are you calling the show on friday's?
  • boomstick13s
    Options
    we used dave ramsey's book to get out of $26,000 debt in 3 years, If you're willing to make the adjustments it goes fast!
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    Huge fans of Dave Ramsey. We have paid off our credit cards, husbands car will be paid off in 3 months (2 yrs early) and my car will be paid off in next 6mths (3.5yrs early) and then we will be debt free! WOOOHOOO Wish we would have started listening to him earlier

Congratulation guys. Yes I think we all wish we had discovered dave earliest. But I'm glad we all did. That's why I'm passing the words around.
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    LOVE< LOVE< LOVE Dave Ramsey! I think like he does, even before I heard of him. I love his advice! My husband and I often say " what would Dave say?" when considering a financial decision or purchase.

I know that's a great way to remind you "what will dave say ?" Your brain automatically picture him telling you " don't do it, don't pay stupid taxes with stupid tax". Lol
  • Tuplatano
    Options
    we used dave ramsey's book to get out of $26,000 debt in 3 years, If you're willing to make the adjustments it goes fast!

totally agreed, we paid off about the same amount in the same amount of time. And not on the best salary. Got $8k and about 9 more months to be totally debt free. Does baby steps sure help you see that there is light at the end. Luv the snow ball
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Nice to hear that. Congratulation guys, I be joining you on the"I'm debt freeeeer" scream in about 9 more months once I finish up with my student loan. That's my only debt left and can't wait to scream I'm debt freee! Are you calling the show on friday's?

I've never actually called in before. However, we will definitely be calling once the rest of our debt is GONE (everything minus the mortgage, anyway)!! We seen him live two years ago here in Atlanta! I just love Dave!! :heart:
  • Tuplatano
    Options

Thank you in advance.

Hi, If you are still interested here is an Outline of the Dave Ramsey plan. THis is a very nice outline put together by another member on his forums. If you need to find more information feel freen to check his site. There are 7 main steps as outlined below. Onece you complete step #1 , you go to step 2, after you complete step 2 you go to step 3, and so on.

"Getting started is a lot easier than you think... and a lot tougher. You have to want to do this.

First, do you have a budget? If not, GET ONE NOW. As in yesterday! You need to do what is called a "zero-based budget." In a zero-based budget, you take every dollar you have coming in and you assign it a place. Cover everything! House, electricity, phone, internet, newspaper, pets, medical, gas, insurances (do you have all the coverages you need?), groceries, EVERYTHING. As far as your creditors go, list the minimums payments. Once you assign every dollar a home, then start the baby steps. If you have an irregular income, take a good look at this form. The idea about "if I only had x dollars, what would I spend it on?" is a good one. Remember to cover the "four walls" first: house, food, utilities and transportation. Use this form to help you figure out the budget.

Second, start the baby steps. Once you have accounted for all your expenses, look for places to cut back and just plain squeeze. Eating out three times a week? No longer! Fire up that stove and oven! Brown bag your lunch. New wardrobe every month? Not anymore! Allocate a reasonable amount each month! Buying power toys everytime you stop in Home Depot? Sorry, but maybe your project needs to be put on hold. I can almost guarantee that you can find TONS of money that you didn't even know you had been spending without a plan. But don't stop there! Get radical... sell stuff and get extra jobs if you need to get extra traction. Deliver papers and throw pizzas. Load trucks for UPS. Work the night shift at the grocery store checking stock. However you do it, once you find this extra money, use it to attack whatever baby step you are on.
    1) Get $1000 in the bank as your baby emergency fund. This is the cushion for when life happens. Once you have this step done, CUT UP THE PLASTIC. You don't need it anymore.
    2) Work the snowball. List your debts, smallest to largest, and throw every extra penny at the smallest debt while paying minimums on the rest.
    3) Set aside 3-6 months of expenses into a money market account or good savings account. This is your fully funded emergency fund.
    4) Put 15% of your income into retirement accounts (Roth IRA, 401k, etc). Up to this point, you don't put anything into retirement.
    5) Start saving for the kids college fund (if applicable).
    6) Pay off the home mortgage early.
    7) Build wealth.

Trust me when I say this stuff works. I had just finished my debt snowball when I was laid off. The severance package finished up baby step 3 for me, but I was now in a full fledged emergency. But with that big EF in place, I had time to find another job without losing everything. "