Is 1500 calories too much?

Options
I have my calorie goal set at 1500 but daily I always have calories left over even when I dont excercise. Should I think about reducing them? Or would I be resticting myself too much??

Replies

• tho0505
    tho0505 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on your height a lot. MFP says that I can intake 1640 calories to reach my goal and I'm 5'7' male.

1500 isnt a lot of calories at all, so I'd keep doing what you're doing to keep under the calories without starving yourself and make sure your cutting out soda out of the diet. Remember, just because we want to lose weight, doesnt mean that we CANT eat things we love, we just have to have control over the intake of them.
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    make sure your cutting out soda out of the diet.

I have done that. I feel tons better. I was drinking diet caffiene free but wasn't getting any water. I feel a ton better! Thanks!
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm the same....MFP set my goal at 1540. I changed it to 1500 and today 1400. Many days I accidently come in at 1300-1400. I would aim for 1200-1500, no lower than 1200.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1600 and am losing weight slowly (which is the way I want it) but it really depends on your current weight, your height and your goals. I don't always eat up to 1600 but I make sure that the net is around 1400.
    I know that I wouldn't stick with a 1200 cal/day diet, I would be grumpy and taking it out on my husband which wouldn't work out well for either of us :)

I think the key is to make sure that you are eating healthy meals for your 1500 cals - try eating this amount and if it isn't working for you, change it up or down.
  • silkystarfish
    Options
    I have 2000cals a day, and if I added exercise cals on, would need to eat 2500-3000 a day. I dont do this, but on 2000-2200 I am still loosing 1-2kilos, or 2-4lbs a week!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No way I do 1600-1800 , as long as there healthy calories you still lose weight
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    No way! Definitely not.

I have found that if I cut my calories to much more below 1400 calories NET that I get headaches, and become cranky, tired, and even a little cloudy.

MFP set mine at 1200 calories to lose 2lbs. I did it for about 2 months and lost 2 lbs total, and was soooo not like myself. I upped it to 1400 and the weight started to steadily come off. Not a lot at a time, mind you, but steadily.

Some people have success with calorie cycling, and I guess that's kinda what I unintentionally do at this time.

There was this recent post on whether or not starvation mode was a myth and it had some excellent info on calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/193753-don-t-believe-in-starvation-mode

Definitely read this, drink the water, make SMART calorie choices and the weight WILL come off!!!!

GOOD LUCK!
  • CristineB29
    Options
    I've been eating really well and exercising lots in the past 2 weeks and I've dropped 3 pounds in the first 4 days (Weighed myself Friday morning and again on Monday) . I eat well (whole grains, lots of veggies and fruit, smaller portions and eating every 3 hrs) and I started running, biking and strength training. It's been two weeks and I haven't dropped one pound in the second week. I eat about 1400 -1500 calories a day and I'm 5'4. Am I just impatient or am I eating too much?
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been eating really well and exercising lots in the past 2 weeks and I've dropped 3 pounds in the first 4 days (Weighed myself Friday morning and again on Monday) . I eat well (whole grains, lots of veggies and fruit, smaller portions and eating every 3 hrs) and I started running, biking and strength training. It's been two weeks and I haven't dropped one pound in the second week. I eat about 1400 -1500 calories a day and I'm 5'4. Am I just impatient or am I eating too much?

You're just impatient. Give it another 2 weeks and if you're still not losing weight, then consider dropping your calories.
  • CristineB29
    Options
    Haha! That's what I thought :) My husband told me the other day " Do you feel healthier, do you feel good? Then don't worry about the rest!" I think he was tired of my asking and complaining about my weight not going down.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i am eating 1800-2000 and still losing... im only 5'5 146 lbs and medium active.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat at 2,000 or more when I am trying to lose weight. Im 5'4 and 128 lbs. SO I would say don't restrict low!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You should eat 1501 calories. You'll start losing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Without more info about you, I can't say for sure, however. I personally think it's probably a pretty nice number to start with. Trying to restrict too much can result in stress and giving up. I think a slow and steady approach will get you the results you want! Try it for a while and see how things are going, then adjust accordingly if you are not happy!