Strategic running with a 35.7 BMI

Options
I've been running now for almost 2 months. This Saturday I have my first 5K of the year (my only other one was in May 2008).

So up till now it's been just kind of a matter of getting going. I'm using the "Smart Coach" training tool at runnersworld.com to train for a 10K on May 7. In between now and then is the aforementioned 5K plus another one in another 4 weeks. I plan on another 10K at the 4th of July, and to maintain that level of fitness until I drop a bunch more weight.

I have the fancy Garmin 205 (no HRM with this model) that tells me all the data I need to know about my run: elevation, average pace, pace on the current mile, calories burned, etc. It also has a "virtual partner" function that allows you to set a specific goal pace. At any moment I can see how far I am ahead of or behind this virtual partner.

Monday and Wednesday this week I was prescribed three mile runs. Monday I ran splits of 10:06, 11:11, and 12:00. An average pace of 11:05, which was my fastest 3 mile run to date, but I had nothing left for a final kick at the end. I knew that if I conserved some of the energy in the earlier part of the run that I'd have enough for a final kick.

Wednesday I set the VP at a 10:57 pace, figuring I'd cut some time off with the new strategy, and had in mind to never get more than 25 feet away (ahead or behind) the virtual partner. In the first quarter-mile I was about 45 feet ahead, so I slowed down, and never again were more than 25 feet separating us. Until the final kick, that is.

My splits were 10:56, 10:54, and 10:37. So I didn't run my fastest individual mile, but I did run my fastest *three* miles. Now that I know I can sustain a pace throughout an entire race, it's going to be fun to try and push myself a little bit at a time.

What's also helping is gradually losing weight. By my estimate, my 263-pound body would be running 7:58 miles at my goal weight of 195. (I posted a thread several weeks ago about how I came up with this). I can't wait for a combination of fitness and weight-loss to get me to much faster times.

I still don't "look" like a runner, but I sure do feel like one!

Replies

• MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Congratulations! It sounds like you're doing really well. I wish you all the best for your upcoming races and your health and fitness journey in general :flowerforyou:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    wow you sound like you are doing great! my one comment/question is are you keeping yourself properly "fueld" my husband ran his first half marathon last year and never listened to me about encouraging hydration and electrolytes etc- he finally started listening (he is now training for a marathon) and since using a very water- y energy drink (isostar) - even on his shorter runs- he is less likely to run out of steam before the end and his recovery seems to be better

( I will be walking a half marathon this May and hope just to finish :-) but then again my BMI is about a billion!)
  • OhItsOn
    OhItsOn Posts: 36
    Options
    congrats. If you are looking to shave time off your longer runs... 10K or 15K or if you move on to half marathons and marathons.... you might also want to consider the run/walk method.

Say you run for 3 minutes and then walk for one... then run for 3 minutes and walk for one. Or even run a minute walk a minute until mile _____ whatever... 7? then you have conserved enough energy that you can really kick it out for the last part of the race if need be.

Just an option.

You might want to check out Jeff Galloway's site. 5 of my friends just completed a half marathon by using his run/walk method. Their training simply consisted of run/walking for 30 minutes twice a week and a long walk/run on Saturdays. In under 6 months they were ready for a half marathon. One friend even trained/ completed a marathon on the same basic program. Just 3 days a week.

Anyway.... just throwing it out there. (Oh... and there is info. out there for free without having to buy his books or paying for on line coaching, etc... He also is affiliated with Run Disney (the marathons and half marathons hosted by Disney.)

Again... great job. Keep up the good work.

I'll have to check out the smart coach thing. smile.
  • pinksoldier
    Options
    keep up the great work! you have such fantastic and realistic goals.......good luck to you!
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    [...] are you keeping yourself properly "fueld" my husband ran his first half marathon last year and never listened to me about encouraging hydration and electrolytes etc- he finally started listening (he is now training for a marathon) and since using a very water- y energy drink (isostar) - even on his shorter runs- he is less likely to run out of steam before the end and his recovery seems to be better [...]

Thanks for the question. Right now my runs are short enough where I just make sure I'm hydrated before and after. However, once I start climbing in to the 5+ mile length of my weekly "long runs" (about 3 weeks away), I'll need to have some extra boost on the run itself. I know there's gel shots and Gu's and other things like that. But I also read that keeping gummi bears on hand can do the trick. I'll be seeking some advice on that soon, as well.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    I always carry a gel on my long runs. I'm 6'4", 300+ and can still kick 6 or 7 miles without stopping, but if I don't pop a gel that last mile is usually torture. :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Good luck on you race - kick some butt!!!
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    Awesome! Cant wait til I "feel" like a runner! Havent ran more than 2 miles straight since field hockey practice in high school! Hope I can make it happen...thanks for the inspiration. :)
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Beat my goal pace by over 20 seconds! Can't wait for the next one!!!