Fiber 'goal' numbers, I'm confused ...

Options
BunnyHop
BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
I'm tracking fiber in my food diary, because I want to be sure to get enough, but the 'goal' number listed for me is just 16g.

I'd thought that it was considered healthy to have something more like 30g of fiber per day.

Does anyone have some insight on why my listed goal number for fiber is so small??

Replies

• BunnyHop
    Options
    I'm tracking fiber in my food diary, because I want to be sure to get enough, but the 'goal' number listed for me is just 16g.

I'd thought that it was considered healthy to have something more like 30g of fiber per day.

Does anyone have some insight on why my listed goal number for fiber is so small??
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Yes people dont get enough fiber in their diets-- the recommended amount that a person should get is 25g a day but if you aren't already eating that many then dont try and jump right into eating that much fiber or it will back fire on you cause you will become constipated- how ever if you slowly raise the amount every day to the recommended amount then you will be fine-- also you can customize your diary to what you need
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I go into my goals and change the fiber on my own. Just make sure that you click custom goals and you can adjust any of the setting to what you need them to be. Personally I shoot for 25-35 grams of fiber per day.
  • BunnyHop
    Options
    Thanks Eve23, I didn't realize it was possible to customize my goals.

I've been getting plenty of fiber, but as I say, the automatic setting seemed awfully low to me, so I've ignored it in favor of my usual amount.

I'm feeling like SUCH a newbie, LOL!!

Every time I think I've understood something, I find ten new things to add to the mix.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions.
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    I go into my goals and change the fiber on my own. Just make sure that you click custom goals and you can adjust any of the setting to what you need them to be. Personally I shoot for 25-35 grams of fiber per day.

Wow, thanks, I had no idea also that you could change them. I was confused when i read Fiber when I didn't have fiber in my list. Now I do, and how do you know how many you should have?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    No problem. Personally I took my fiber amounts from the Fiber 35 diet. Since most fiber rich foods are low in calories and low in fats. They help keep you feeling satisfied for a longer period of time and most vegetables, fruits and grains all have fiber.

Hope that helps you:bigsmile:
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i too changed mine manually and i have to say i think all the fiber is what really keeps me on track with the weight loss even if i do slip up and eat something not so great like the KFC i had last night the extra fiber doesnt allow it to stick so well if you know what i mean.

i get prevention magazine and it swears by lots of fiber i eat 30-35g a day

and there are some great tasting things too fiber one apple struessal bar and caramel delight yummy
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I consider the fiber and protein goals to be minimums. The fat and calorie goals are maximums.
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    I too am watching my fiber count now. I changed one of the columns to show me the fiber count. After reading about the 35+ Fiber diet I have been trying to get 35+ in every day. My weight loss completely stopped and I wanted something to push me in the right direction. It is REALLY tough to get my count to 35+ so always looking for new foods to introduce.

As I introduce the higher fiber foods and I have a mid morning and mid afternoon snack to increase my fiber content, I find that I am not hungry or have the cravings. I hope to see some weight loss from this great diet since the foods I need to eat to get to my goal every day are "GOOD" foods that are "GOOD" for me.

The more fiber you add to your diet the less constipated you are, I think some said the opposite. More fruits and veggies will keep you regular. I do refuse to eat prunes but it has the most fiber compared to other fruits and veggies. Some fiber eating too much of it might cash stomach cramps but no problems here. I decided yesterday's snack of grapes was a waste of stomach space because it was only worth 1 gram but an apple is worth 5-7grams. Today I ate an apple instead.

Good luck everyone!!!