Diet Vs Regular

Options
mydogmesa2
mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
I personally dont drink soda, but I recently heard that artificial sweeteners like the ones used in diet sodas can actually make you GAIN weight. Just wondering what others think

:heart: Krystal

Replies

• mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I personally dont drink soda, but I recently heard that artificial sweeteners like the ones used in diet sodas can actually make you GAIN weight. Just wondering what others think

:heart: Krystal
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have heard this too... MY bf is SO against diet pop... he'd rather me drink regular if I do at all.... BUT thats just what I have read and heard.. I read the book SKINNY BI**H and they talk really bad about it... so its up to you... :bigsmile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same....that it affects part of your brain.

It's a struggle to give up a calorie free soda.....
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    I read that the reason it can actually make you gain weight is because of those artificial sweeteners..your brain thinks that its going to get calories along with the sweetness and when it doesn't..it causes some people to overeat. This is the number one reason why I avoid drinking diet pop on an empty stomach.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080211/artificial-sweeteners-increase-weight
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    that's interesting.. i only drink pop if their is liquor with it... otherwise, i don't drink it at all..
    now i'm kinda glad i don't. lol
  • damselfly25
    Options
    I personally do drink 1 diet soda a day. I heard that it had to do with the fact that people think that they're drinking diet soda so they say to themselves "I can't supersize the rest of my food intake, because my trash can sized soda is diet." :tongue:

63986.png
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you guys are correct! thats the reason most of it happens. people think they can eat more because they are saving calories on thier drink, and also because the sweetness of the artificial sweetener can make you crave MORE sweet foods. And there are recent studies coming out showing that the body is actually storing some of the artificial sweeteners just as it would regular sugar. No solid definitive research to my knowledge YET, but looks like the body is treating the sweeteners as it would plain old sugar. and caffine in soda also inhibits the absorbtion of calcium, so women especially beware of caffine consumption!!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I used to drink pop at the movies and when eating out (which was all the time) but never at home.

I haven't in well over 3 weeks and I don't even miss it.

I have never trusted artificial sweeteners anyway, doesn't seam "natural" lol.