but but but...

Options
But i eat just fine...why is my protein always in the negatives?
Is that bad? What does it even mean. lol

Replies

• knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is set up so that the protein amount is the minimum you should be eating. Mine is generally in the negatives as well. I don't find it hindering me, and I would THINK that its better to have a little more protein than too little.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Negative sign in front of a nutrient you are tracking means you went over your goal.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    It's very difficult to eat too much protein. If your body doesn't use it then it just becomes waste and your body gets rid of it. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    It's very difficult to eat too much protein. If your body doesn't use it then it just becomes waste and your body gets rid of it. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    MFP protein goal is set to 15% of your daily calories. That is pretty low. Most weight lss diets reccommend up to 30 or 40% protein. You can change your percentages manually in your goals settings. I use 55% carbs, 30% protein and 15% fat
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I was worried about protein a while back and some of the feedback I got was 1g of protein for every pound of your goal weight. So for example, 145lbs =145g is fine. MFP has mine set way lower so I dont worry about it too much.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    mine was over yesterday, but i read it is not a major issue as long as its not high levels so im not worried about it, high levels are meant to create ammonia which is poisonous, can also affect ur kidneys, calcium loss etc, better to have low protein in the long run:smile:
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    Agreed. I was worried about protein a while back and some of the feedback I got was 1g of protein for every pound of your goal weight. So for example, 145lbs =145g is fine. MFP has mine set way lower so I dont worry about it too much.
    [/quote
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I had to go and customize my goals. The goals MFP put were not what my doctor/ registered dietician recommended. Also, here is a website where you can calculate what your daily protein intake should be:

http://www.calculatorslive.com/Daily-Protein-Intake-Calculator.aspx

Going over in protein is not a bad thing. It isn't like going over in calories, carbs, or sodium. I hope this helps.

Angela
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Agreed, I did some research and reset my goals to suit my needs, lower sodium and fat higher protein.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Agreed, I did some research and reset my goals to suit my needs, lower sodium and fat higher protein.

Lower sodium? Is there a way to calculate how much of this you need daily?
  • octoberschilde
    Options
    I also am ALWAYS over on my protein. I've decided not to worry about it. I have more concern for calories and sodium right now. Gotta keep those in check!