birth control

Options
Ok everyone bear with me through all my posts, like I said in some of my earlier postings I am new to self motivated weight loss and wil have lots of questions. So here is my latest one.........

My DD is turning one soon and I don't want to get preggers again anytime soon, but I'm terrified about going on birthcontrol because of the weight gain. Do yall have any suggestion about the best BC that causes the least amount of weight gain so I can talk to the dr about my options. Thanks for hanging in there through all my inquiries.

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 40 pounds after I had my son when I was on the depo shot, so don't do it! I'm on the nuvaring and love it. Plus because its located there I don't get nearly the amount of headaches that I got on the pill
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have opted to not be on birth control at all. We use other (non-hormonal) methods. There are plenty over the counter options that aren't just condoms. I feel so much better not being on it & we haven't gotten pregnant yet so I'd say it's working...considering we've been married 7 years at the end of this month & for the last year + I haven't been on anything. Talk to your doctor & decide what's best for you, but don't let your doctor talk you into anything that you don't want to do.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have a plain copper IUD, no hormones so no weight gain, break outs etc and It lasts for 10 years, or if you want more children your fertility returns to normal as soon as its removed. I was told I'd likely have heavier periods for the first 2-3- months, which I did, but since then they are back to normal, if not a bit lighter. I lOVE mine!
  • stillbill85
    Options
    There is always the "day after" pill, also abstinance (LOL).
  • RheaIzar
    RheaIzar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo now and have lost 22lbs since January. I have to stress that everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE'S body is different. You and your doctor have to find out what's best for you.

All the best!
  • bethymay123
    Options

The "morning after pill" isn't an option I would be willing to take. Althouh I am not cathlic or even very religoius I see theMA pill as a form of abortion. It is just my belief and I wouldn't fill right taking that route, but thank you for taking the time to answer my post
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    I'm on Depo now and have lost 22lbs since January. I have to stress that everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE'S body is different. You and your doctor have to find out what's best for you.

All the best!
    I got on depo after I had my son, because I was on it earlier in life and LOVED it, no period, no weight gain...all that jazz...pretty sure my body changed dramatically after having babies! Super frustrating! Good for you for losing that weight! I'm still trying to lose that weight from the darn depo! Lol
  • bethymay123
    Options
    I have opted to not be on birth control at all. We use other (non-hormonal) methods. There are plenty over the counter options that aren't just condoms. I feel so much better not being on it & we haven't gotten pregnant yet so I'd say it's working...considering we've been married 7 years at the end of this month & for the last year + I haven't been on anything. Talk to your doctor & decide what's best for you, but don't let your doctor talk you into anything that you don't want to do.

Could you message me with some of the OTC options you know of. Thanks
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Well...I did the depo shot once..and I will never do it again....The side effects suck..a lot...

I actually asked my doctor about the weight gain and I will never forget what she said..."There really isnt a lot of issues with weight when using Birth Control". I thought she was out of her mind, or had been practicing under a rock on fake patients or something..But it makes a little sense..she went on to explain her theory that a lot of women start birth control during major milestones in their lives (starting college, finishing college, in your 20s and 30s (everything's a milestone then..lol; getting married, blah blah blah) and your body is going through changes anyway..she may have a point..I'm not sure..

I agree with RheaIzar...everyone's body is different and what works for someone may not work for you...the generic 28 day pill may work just fine...
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    A lot of women get on birth control and when they gain weight, it MUST have been the birth control. This isn't the case all the time, and even half the time, but it happens. I am on Implanon, an implant in my arm, and it is okay.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just started Beyaz and honestly my Dr brought up the weight gain thing before I could even ask and said its not an issue...she said lots of girls who go on BC are usually doing it because they are sexually active with a partner, and being with someone can have other implications aside from being on bc, such as so many relationships being centered at least in the beginning around eating a drinking. who knows. The insert in my prescription did say gaining was a side effect, but its too soon for me to see anything yet. fingers crossed.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options

The "morning after pill" isn't an option I would be willing to take. Althouh I am not cathlic or even very religoius I see theMA pill as a form of abortion. It is just my belief and I wouldn't fill right taking that route, but thank you for taking the time to answer my post
    I understand your opinion, but just wanted to let you know that the morning after pill (Plan B pill) simply creates an environment where the sperm cannot penetrate the egg, so conception cannot take place. It does not abort or kill an already concieved baby. I agree that it should not be an option for birth control, especially since it's only 80% effective.

I've heard good things about Paragard, the copper IUD. No hormones should = no weight gain.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced weight gain with any form of birth control.
  • Ninetta
    Ninetta Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Could you message me with some of the OTC options you know of. Thanks

Yes. I would be interested in this too!!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    BC is tricky as every body is different. After having my fourth child and nearly dying with a strange heart failure situation the doctors swore they would never mess with my hormnes again. Two years later when I was having crazy PMDD mood swings, migraines, very unpredictable cycles that would where I would nearly hemorage for 2 weeks then go 6 weeks with no cycle then have a spotting for a month straight etc tc etc they put me back on the pill...I have been on 4 different kinds. They are all "great options" and I have done research and there are people who love the ones that made me feel the worst and people who hate the ones I had little problems with...etc...talk to your doc Tell the doc your goals and your concerns. When I mentioned the hormonal acne to my doc she considered that when decided between a few different options this last time around.....t
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tri Cyclen (switched to it from Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, which wasn't enough to control my irregular periods) and it's been really good. I asked my doctor about weight gain when she prescribed it and she said it wasn't likely I would *gain* weight, but it was possible I might have trouble losing it. Which has been pretty much the case... my weight loss has been pretty slow and I'm thinking it might be related to that. However, the benefits for me have outweighed the negatives and I'm willing to stick to it.

My friend is on the Nuva Ring after switching from the same pill I was on and she loves it. No weight gain for her either, but she's also relatively active and is already thin.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't know for sure about all the different types and their side effects but I did hear before that it wasn't the birth control directly causing weight gain but rather that it can cause you to feel more hungry and end up therefore making people eat a bit more and gain weight.
    I certainly wouldn't let it stop you from taking any at all, especially if you don't want to get pregnant again yet. If one form of birth control doesn't work for you and you feel it's causing unwanted side effects you can always ask to try another one. I'm on Cilest right now, this is my third kind I've tried as it's the only one that hasn't caused (not weight related) side effects.
  • RunOnSentence
    Options
    I have been on both Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, as well as Loestrin. To be perfectly honest, I have not gained weight from either, but I know that everyone is different, but thought I'd put that out there. On a side note, I DID think I had gained weight from the first one, but it turns out that my chronic allergies were the culprit.
    (I only know this b/c my strange 'starving' and eating got better once I found a better antihistamine. Turns out that if you have severe allergies, you sometimes develop strange gastric side effects that make you feel hungry all the time. By severe allergies, I mean that my allergist joked, ' I don't know how you've lived like this for so long! ' when I finally went in for testing in my 30s!! He acted like I should be banned to live inside a bubble :laugh: :wink: Ridonkulous!! )
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    A lot of women get on birth control and when they gain weight, it MUST have been the birth control. This isn't the case all the time, and even half the time, but it happens. I am on Implanon, an implant in my arm, and it is okay.
    I understand its not the case all the time, But for me it was. I was working out 6 days a week, kept my calories low, but healthy. When my doc saw that I had gained 35 pounds in 3 months he was like GET OFF THIS BC! Thank goodness he said it, because I needed to get off it! :) I do understand what you are saying though, a lot of people blame it on the birth control but really they should blame it on the beer, food and non exercise.