Tea and coffee

Options
Anyone out there big tea and coffee drinkers ... I count mine in my 1200 cal a day allowance and they are killing me, coming in at 200 calories per day :-(( but they are my comfort and stop me from eating, when I need something hot and comforting ... I can ask for suggestions, but I know what you are all gonna say - drink more water, and that's true, but it does not have the same comforting effect.

but 200 calories out of 1200 is a massive chunk of calories not being used on food ... any ideas, for low cal drinks, lower than tea / coffee .... if I got used to drinking them without skimmed milk, or tried ... that would make the difference I guess.

I kinda know the answers, jsut thinking out loud lol xxx

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    how is it 200 cals?
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I just count the calories in my milk. I don't take sugar. At the start of every day add 3/4 cup of milk to my diary, some days I may use more some days less, but I'm fairly sure it must even out over time.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    Coffee and tea themselves are nearly calorie free. What are you adding to them?
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    try decaf flavored teas like Constant Comment or even decaf coffee after that initial cup. Then you're just drinking flavored water. :smile:

Also, try something like vanilla almond milk or skim milk instead of whole or cream to cut down on the calories. I started out with milk and sugar, switched to milk and splenda, then stepped down to just coffee and almond milk with no sweetner. It took a couple of days to get used to, but it really saves on the calories.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use sugar free creamer. I didn't use to it and I used so many calories!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    im a major coffee drinker, but have at least halved mine since being on the water, but only drink it black with no sugar
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you tried herbal tea/infusions? I drink them all the time - only 2 cals a cup and no need for milk or sugar.

Sue :smile: x
  • traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    with skimmed milk .. in the MFP calorie database generic coffee with skimmed milk is 30 calories, I drink up to 6 a day and countless cupos of tea, also with skimmed milk ..
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    wow
    i love my teas i have about 4 a day at 15 cals ago and thats with sweetner and milk.
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    don't use any milk and use a sugar free sweetener. Stevia is what i think is the best
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea that has 0 calories and Yogi Detox tea that is 0 cals. I drink coffee once in a great while but just black.
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've switched to green tea, as I drink it straight. Thus, 0 calories.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I love my cups of tea especially when the weather is a bit mild/cold and adding a couple of those to the meal plan whisks away the calories.

I'm lucky in a way though as I drink my coffee unsweetened and black so I have swapped a few cups of my tea to that. What about trying different teas like Green tea etc where you don't need milk or sugar?
  • heidipalmquist
    Options
    That's me, too. I tried Almond Milk in my tea, and it's not bad and less calories than 1%. I allow 1-2 tsp. sugar per day in my tea (somtimes 3), but switched to black coffee, which was difficult, but I'm finally used to it. I tried Splenda and Stevia in my tea, but don't like it. Nothing like real sugar.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    with skimmed milk .. in the MFP calorie database generic coffee with skimmed milk is 30 calories, I drink up to 6 a day and countless cupos of tea, also with skimmed milk ..

After a quick tot up in my head I drink 8+ cups of tea or coffee a day, (mainly tea) I guess the 110 cals I log just isn't covering it:frown:
  • neyes67
    neyes67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You may want to reduce the number of cups you drink each day (2-3 instead of 6) and increase the amount of water you drink which you should do especially when drinking caffinated coffee/tea.
  • ElovelyMe
    ElovelyMe Posts: 10
    Options
    Maybe you should try to sweeten your teas with natural honey or nectar that may help.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee all but intravenously. And I am with you...sometimes it is a good substitute for a snack.
    Coffee has virtually zero calories. I don't use sugar or milk or cream. I use IDEAL NO CALORIE SWEETENER. IMO, it is better and healthier than using an artificial sweetener. And, unlike stevia, it has no after taste!

Got to go...coffee time.....
  • whealybin
    Options
    I know - I'm a coffee lover - I had three cups this morning and only have 300 calories left for the rest of the day! The programme like you has only given me 1200 calories a day and yet it tells me my BMR is over 1600 - is it trying to kill me or something!
  • Chyrita
    Chyrita Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I drink about 3 cups of tea a day and I add a little Agave Nectar, it's 60 cals per tablespoon. I use less than a teaspoon a day. Good flavor in all teas that I've tried.:smile: