My scale went up after weight lifting weights.. HELP!

:sad: OK here is my question for the day.. i started on Monday to lift weights now i see that i have gained 4lb i know that is impossible i have gained 4lb of fat or muscle is 2 soon.. i spoke to my trainer and he told me the reason is because as i am working my muscles i have water and glycogen(what ever that mean) and that is why i see the scale up! to no give up and after my swelling goes away i should be back in track... now the question i have for you guys is... has anyone else that started lifting weights has gain water weigh for a little while and if you have how long for this to be back to normal.. My trainer said not to give up as lifting weights is part of weight loss. What do you guys think? Thanks

Replies

• taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    I would listen to your trainer...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    It is water retention. When starting out or increasing intensity your muscles retain water to protect them from damage and to aid in recovery. Once you get use to the exercises and intensity your muscles will shed the excess water. My advice would be to stay off the scale for the next 2-3 weeks until the water works its way out.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Its just normal flucutation. Has nothing to do with body mass wether it be fat or muscle, gained. Stick to your plan and you will see the results you are after. In other words, ignore it!
  • emoyeno
    emoyeno Posts: 2 Member
    That happened to me once. I was only a 10lbs short of reaching my goal weight. I was sooo motivated I started to do weight training + cardio and was really into it. Then I started to gain!! I was frustrated, but I noticed that even though I had gained weight my clothes were very, very loose (it took me 2 weeks to see the difference in the clothes). Everyone was saying I was skinny, but when I weighed myself, the pounds were still there. It was all muscle.

So yes, please listen to your trainer and be patient.!!!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Forget the scale!!!! You didn't gain 4 pounds of fat!!! That is the important thing. When I do not train for a few days, I lose about 2 pounds.....and they come back when I start again. I do not care what the stupid scale say. I am getting healthier!!! and so should you. Take a mesuring tape.
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    I worked out twice yesterday and got on the scales this morning and it registered a gain of .6

Thanks for checking with your trainer for the answer! Now I can rest at ease, knowing that the numbers are not always going to reflect what I like to see because of water fluctuation!!

It's hard not to get discouraged, but don't give up and keep on going! Your body should balance itself out if you feed it well, and exercise regularly!

The best of luck! Looks like you've done well thus far!!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Your trainer is right!!! Stay the course. You will retain water for a week or two when you start lifting, but you will shed the water as your muscles get accustomed to the weight lifting.
  • marianpp
    marianpp Posts: 35 Member
    Ohhh! thank you guys.. this really helped!.. no scale for 2 weeks and then we will see.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    He's ....or She's totally right. Don't stop. It pays off!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    I agree with what others said. Your trainer seems to know what he/she is talking about and I wouldn't get discouraged. You are doing great, and weight training is so good for fat loss. Keep it up, the results are coming!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Maybe that was my problem, too. My eating is 100% spot on. I am walking once or twice every single day. I am working with weights but only 3, 5, and 8 pounds. I got off to a good start losing over a pound a week for the first few weeks and then it stopped for a couple of weeks. I had sore muscles in the beginning, but now I am getting used to the 8 pound weight, and I am breezing through my crunches now. I only have 30 pounds to lose. Finally yesterday I lost about a pound and today I lost about a pound. Before I would lose that pound and 2 wouild come back! I am hoping that I am used to it now. DO NOT GIVE UP. That is my new slogan. Our bodies don't like all of these changes, so they don't cooperate as we'd like them too. Water is heavy. If you drink a couple of glasses or even weigh a couple of glasses on a kitchen scale, you'll see. Holding a quart of water on board is probably not even enough to notice because it is distributed throughout. Hang in there, it will pass. I can't wait to measure in a few days because my pants are hanging on me now! = D It's just been 5 weeks or so since I've been faithfully doing my weights. You'll love your new body if you keep it up! 've done it before and let it slide away. This time is for keeps! Can't wait for my new body!
  • nirsky
    nirsky Posts: 38 Member
    4lb. difference can be seen even when you weight yourself in the morning and in the evening. All the water and we food we take in.

Lifting weight will increase your metabolism and will make your body burn calories up to 48 hours after you finish working out even if you sit and do nothing.

The combination of weight lifting and cardio is the best combo you can get.
    If you only do cardio, you will burn fat and muscles.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Glycogen is a type of starch made by your body to store energy for short term use. It tends to be stored in your liver and muscles. Hungry muscles demand food! It's not fat, so that's all that matters. Your trainer sounds like a good one. Best of luck!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Be sure to take your measurements. It's sometimes a better way to gauge your progress when the scale isn't being friendly. Keep up the good work!
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    For sure!!! The scale was up 4lbs on me for 2wks and then it was gone. And I've lost an addt'l 20+ pounds w/ strength training and cardio. You will too! Keep at it!!!
  • danny2123
    danny2123 Posts: 2
    I lost 16lbs thru diet and cardio in 6 weeks , then started weight training 4x a week and dropped
    Only 2lbs over next 4 weeks , but lost inches off my waist. My chest , abs , arms and legs looked better , I was also worried about why am I not losing weight anymore but thru much research and talking to trainers and nutritionist the simple answer is muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less space . Eventually the number on the scale will go down , might take even a few months but then you will look and feel a lot better than just losing weight and having flab or being soft like a marshmallow . So keep going with both weights and cardio , will pay off in the end , even though though number on the scale will take longer to come down
  • Vavettes
    Vavettes Posts: 4
    That's the best news I've heard all my life! I was always afraid of of any strength training for fear I would bulk up as a woman. Your trainer definitely has shed some light to all my fears. Every time I would start gaining weight from strength training I would get discouraged and stop working out all together not understanding the chemistry of it all. Now I'm more eager than before to continue on with my journey to a healthier new me :D thanks to everyone's comments and encouragement.
  • SamZ10
    SamZ10 Posts: 49 Member
    I was so stressed this morning! I weigh once a week and Saturday I started adding a more hardcore workout routine, including weight lifting.. I weighed myself yesterday and was up 6 pounds. I figured it was water weight & would come off through the day but weighed again this morning and no change. I know it's impossible to gain that much in a week but I have been working so hard I really was expecting to see a loss. Thank God for this post, made my day!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat... don't stress. If your gonna lift then its better to track using measurements rather than a scale. This way you dont get discouraged when you gain muscle and loose fat :wink:
  • suzmedder
    suzmedder Posts: 49 Member
    Forget the scale and start with the tape measure....you'll lose inches rather than pounds lifting weights :)