Polar F 11 HRM versus gym monitor- who is right?

Options
I've been training on trademill at my gym every morning for an hour. According to trademiil monitor (different ones occasionally), I've reached 600 cals at a time and I've been adding those 600 cals to my meals. Now I've got myself Polar F11-Heart monitor and I wore it for the first time today. It tells me that my workout was only 460 cals :explode: So, who do I beleive? Few different trademills or my personal HRM?
If my HRM is right, I' ve been eating EVERY day more than I should of :sad: I haven't been able to loose an oz for the past 3 weeks.
Did anybody had similar experience? What did you do?

Replies

• natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been training on trademill at my gym every morning for an hour. According to trademiil monitor (different ones occasionally), I've reached 600 cals at a time and I've been adding those 600 cals to my meals. Now I've got myself Polar F11-Heart monitor and I wore it for the first time today. It tells me that my workout was only 460 cals :explode: So, who do I beleive? Few different trademills or my personal HRM?
    If my HRM is right, I' ve been eating EVERY day more than I should of :sad: I haven't been able to loose an oz for the past 3 weeks.
    Did anybody had similar experience? What did you do?
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go with your HRM, as much as you don't want to miss those 150 cals. But in truth, regardless of what the machine says you're only burning what you're burning and your HRM is FULL of info about YOU. Some activities come up shy, and for some the HRM shows more cals. This may be the key to your plateau :wink:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have an F11 & it always reads way less than both the Elliptical & Treadmill. I go by the F11.

I have been also told by the trainers at my gym to usually cut the cals in half from what the machines say & that is more of the true cals burned, which turns out a lot closer to what my F11 says. So I do go by my HRM.

Hope that helps a little.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Don't need to add to what has already been said! your HRM is the correct answer!! Sorry for what has happened in the past, but just think about how much progress you will make now knowing the actual!
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow, if not for my new "toy " HRM-gadget, I would of never known.:noway:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    That's why everyone has always suggested to invest in a HRM if you're serious about your exercise. I hate to think what would have happened over the last three months if I relied on websites to get my calories burned from my bike rides :sick: MFP is over its estimate by usually at LEAST 400 and sometimes as high as 800 calories.

But websites and machines can only give you an estimate--it all comes down to how hard you are working during the time you're working out; and as you discovered, only a HRM can tell that.
  • delpha2
    delpha2 Posts: 42
    Options
    Yeah...I always estimate on the low side with the website's estimates. I always subtract warm up and cool down times from the workout too.

Hmmm...thinking about that heart rate monitor now...I really want one!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I go was the HRM, I was wondering the same before...

If the HRM is setup correctly it'll be spot on no question but then what if its not quite setup right, by that i mean if the fitness test was done while the heart rate was slightly elevated...

I also thought then that surly the machine is correct after all it measuring the accual work done by the body... however, (and this is why i thought even a HRM with a slightly out fitness test would be better), the accual work done recorded by the machine is only part of the bodies excertion, so the rest is an estimate... did i over think this? lol

anyway in short HRM everytime lol
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I've always heard machines over estimate cals burned...go with the watch
    I usually burn 350-400 cals on the treadmill but usually only add 250 cals to my day (for cals burned)

Good luck, Kim
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    yep i agree go with the F11. i have one (different brand) and just love it. i was told that machines use a standard weight, height, age, fitness level. to come up with the cals burned. i don't fit into that range, i am short, fat, old, and getting fit. LOL.
    have a good day, chipper