lunch?

Options
i usually pack a lunch for work.... what do you guys like best to bring for lunch...

i recently found out how many grams of fat and calories were in peanuts... needless to say that has been eliminated from my lunch

also, i always hear it's good to eat lots of little things throughout the day to keep your metabolism up.... what are some good snacks for throughout the day that are low in fat?

Replies

• lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    i usually pack a lunch for work.... what do you guys like best to bring for lunch...

i recently found out how many grams of fat and calories were in peanuts... needless to say that has been eliminated from my lunch

also, i always hear it's good to eat lots of little things throughout the day to keep your metabolism up.... what are some good snacks for throughout the day that are low in fat?
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nuts are really good at keeping you full longer and keeping your metabolism up. Yes, they have a lot of calories and fat, but it's the good kind. Seriously. I don't know if you care or not, but Dr. Oz talks a lot about nuts and why they're sooo good for you.

I will bring some sort of sandwich, nuts, 100 calorie pack (probably not all that great, but it's a good tasting snack and only 100 calories. After these packs are gone though I won't buy more). Some sort of fruit (usually an apple, it's easy and not messy to bring) and a veggie (like carrot sticks). Now, I eat more because I work 12 hour shifts, so it might be different for you.

For me it's like>
    First break- Nuts
    Lunch- Sandwich and veggies
    Last break- Apple and maybe 100 calorie pack
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i have a lean cuisine or salad every day for lunch i bring a yogurt and fiber one bar and 2 friuts to get me threw the day

9am yougurt
    1030 fiber one bar or friut
    1230 lean cuisine
    230 friut
    4pm friut or fiber one bar
    630 dinner
    830 snack

i do munch on trail mix even though its high calories its good calories i just dont over do it
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Here are my lunches:

Tuna Salad Sandwich--
    Single-size can of tuna in water (80 cal), 1 tbsp reduced fat Hellmans Mayo (20 cal), 1 sl Fat Free American cheese (25 cal), 2 sl Village Hearth Wheat Bread (80 cal). =205 calories

Egg Salad Sandwich--
    2 hard boiled eggs (140 cal), 1 tbsp reduced fat Hellmans Mayo (20 cal), 2 sl Village Hearth Wheat Bread (80 cal). =240 calories

Lenders whole wheat bagel (180 cal) with 2 tbsp fat free cream cheese (30 cal)=210 calories

1/2 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese (90 cal) with 3 Melba Toast crackers (60 calories)=150 calories

Turkey Sandwich--
    2 sl Village Hearth Wheat Bread (80 cal), 1 sl. fat free American cheese (25 cal), 3 sl. turkey lunchmeat (30 cal)=135 calories

1 Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat fajita (80 cal), 3 sl. turkey lunchmeat (30 cal), 2 tbsp fat free cream cheese (30 cal)=140 calories

All of these I pair with 14 baby carrots (35 cal) and a AE Yo Lite Yogurt (80 cal). A very filling and low calorie lunch!

My snacks are about the same every day:
    AM snack--Kashi TLC soft-baked bar
    Afternoon--Some type of fruit with either 2 Multi-grain rice cakes, a 100 cal pack of Almonds, or Pretzels. I also have a Nature Valley Pecan Crunch granola bar before I head to the gym after work.
    PM snack--Sugar Free popsicle, and depending on how many calories I have left, maybe a Sugar free pudding, 1/2 cup of sugar free ice cream, or fruit and string cheese.

Hopefully this helps with ideas!!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Today's lunch is a super simple taco salad:
    2 cups lettuce, 1/3 can vegetarian chili, 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded mexican cheese, 4 tbsp ff sour cream, 4 tbsp salsa, 1/3 red bell pepper, 1/3 small/med onion, 1/2 oz crushed baked tostitos

Frequently I'll have a lean cuisine or leftovers from dinner from the night before. I tend to eat a lot of chicken or lean pork chops (4 oz) and either spaghetti or butternut squash with salsa and parmean cheese mixed in (2 cups squash). I also like to make a big meal from time to time and portion it out into single serve containers so that I can freeze them and have my own frozen meals to bring to work for lunch.

Snacks...Typically I have a piece of fruit and a string cheese in the morning and, in the afternoon, I have two snacks. Generally it'll be carrot and celery sticks with ranch dip made from blending fat free cottage cheese with dip mix (another MFP's idea...love it!), a serving of fiber filled crackers with a laughing cow cheese wedge, an All Bran bar, a sugar free pudding cup, a couple pickles, 1 serving baked tostios with salsa...the list goes on!
  • lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    thanks that's those are a lot of great ideas!

except I heard those lean cuisine dinners were really high in salt or something? I'm not sure I just heard they weren't super healthy for you...what do you guys think?
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    They are high in sodium and I do prefer to bring my own "frozen meals" that I prep myself, but sometimes when options are slim, time is short, and you have to eat they're great in a pinch.
  • damselfly25
    Options
    Besides the obvious veggies (like baby carrots) I like Hormel turkey pepperoni....good and low in fat. It's like 17 pieces in one serving plus it will give you some of the protein the peanuts were.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I take lots of little snacks to eat throughout the day...I usually have with me some yogurt, a peach or plum, a FiberOne bar, and some low-fat string cheese. They keep me going between meals and don't add a lot of calories to my food for the day.