Myths about fitness

Options
Interesting article concerning some myths about working out.......

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/03/17/10-fitness-myths/?test=faces

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I would take all of that (as well as almost anything you read online) with a grain of salt. Articles like that are usually written for the "wow" factor and don't necessarily represent all sides of an issue. The items that particularly caught my eye were the ones about static stretching being harmful (which directly goes against what I've seen seasoned, professional runners say) and about long-distance cardio & fat loss (while HIIT might be "better" for fat loss in certain respects, I don't think anyone would seriously argue that long-distance cardio is "bad" for fat loss... I just posted a blog about the inches I've lost this year, mostly by running longer distances - I'm training for a 10k).

These type of articles can raise important issues/thoughts/conversations, but no one should take all of it as absolute truth (or anything resembling such).
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I like how the banner says "Breaking News Men's Health" but the picture is of 4 skinny girls holding little dumbells...
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same about static stretching, so I avoid it. I think stretching post exercise is the best bet, while the muscles are warm. Then again, I've heard that stretching after a strength-training session could undo the gains made.

Anyway, the science behind all this is fascinating. I think it mostly comes down to what works for each individual.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would take all of that (as well as almost anything you read online) with a grain of salt. Articles like that are usually written for the "wow" factor and don't necessarily represent all sides of an issue. The items that particularly caught my eye were the ones about static stretching being harmful (which directly goes against what I've seen seasoned, professional runners say) and about long-distance cardio & fat loss (while HIIT might be "better" for fat loss in certain respects, I don't think anyone would seriously argue that long-distance cardio is "bad" for fat loss... I just posted a blog about the inches I've lost this year, mostly by running longer distances - I'm training for a 10k).

These type of articles can raise important issues/thoughts/conversations, but no one should take all of it as absolute truth (or anything resembling such).

I agree with this. I also take anything I read/hear on Fox News with a grain of salt...
  • BigCountry00
    Options
    I thought salt was not good for us? :laugh: Just kidding. I agree with all of you that everyone has their own opinion on different scenarios.

I was just merely relaying information to the masses. Whether they heed the "advice" or not is up to them.
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I thought salt was not good for us? :laugh: Just kidding. I agree with all of you that everyone has their own opinion on different scenarios.

I was just merely relaying information to the masses. Whether they heed the "advice" or not is up to them.

Totally! It's just hard to make sense of all the information out there. Too much of it is contradictory. I guess the best advice is do what works best for you!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    and about long-distance cardio & fat loss (while HIIT might be "better" for fat loss in certain respects, I don't think anyone would seriously argue that long-distance cardio is "bad" for fat loss... I just posted a blog about the inches I've lost this year, mostly by running longer distances - I'm training for a 10k).

10k isn't really long distance in the grander scheme of things - I mean it's over in around 45 mins... that's not taking anything away from you but many of these conversations currently held in the fitness community are about true endurance cardio... 3 hour runs... 5 hour rides etc.

The trouble with training for true endurance events like marathons, Ironman triathlons etc are fourfold...

1) most of your long sessions have to be done at a low heart rate to build endurance, so for instance your LSR should be run at least 2 min-miles slower than race pace... the caloric adaptation to these workouts is enormous and you don't burn anywhere near as much as you think

2) during many of those sessions you're actually consuming calories while you're training by way of isotonic drinks, jelly babies, carb gels etc etc

3) sessions like that give you an appetite from hell

4) many people do not incorporate strength training and lose a lot of lean mass, which in turn slows your metabolism

You might like to read Rachel Cosgrove's article "The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin" after her experience of training for an Ironman Tri, which incidentally was pretty much what I physically experienced when I trained for mine.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin

Basically the calorie burn you would expect from the hours and hours of cardio training you put in are not AT ALL reflected in subsequent fat loss or weight loss.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    and about long-distance cardio & fat loss (while HIIT might be "better" for fat loss in certain respects, I don't think anyone would seriously argue that long-distance cardio is "bad" for fat loss... I just posted a blog about the inches I've lost this year, mostly by running longer distances - I'm training for a 10k).

10k isn't really long distance in the grander scheme of things - I mean it's over in around 45 mins... that's not taking anything away from you but many of these conversations currently held in the fitness community are about true endurance cardio... 3 hour runs... 5 hour rides etc.

The trouble with training for true endurance events like marathons, Ironman triathlons etc are fourfold...

1) most of your long sessions have to be done at a low heart rate to build endurance, so for instance your LSR should be run at least 2 min-miles slower than race pace... the caloric adaptation to these workouts is enormous and you don't burn anywhere near as much as you think

2) during many of those sessions you're actually consuming calories while you're training by way of isotonic drinks, jelly babies, carb gels etc etc

3) sessions like that give you an appetite from hell

4) many people do not incorporate strength training and lose a lot of lean mass, which in turn slows your metabolism

You might like to read Rachel Cosgrove's article "The Final Nail in the Cardio Coffin" after her experience of training for an Ironman Tri, which incidentally was pretty much what I physically experienced when I trained for mine.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin

Basically the calorie burn you would expect from the hours and hours of cardio training you put in are not AT ALL reflected in subsequent fat loss or weight loss.

All that's fine and good - but at the end of the day, most people doing the extremely long runs probably don't have much fat to lose - they're doing it for sport. Hopefully the people who are doing it for sport have educated themselves enough to know that they still need to do strength training, cross training, etc. and to feed their bodies appropriately. Maintaining/increasing muscle mass is important for everyone.

For people who do have fat to lose - there's no reason to say that they should only do HIIT (or whatever other exercise people like to insert there). Variety is the spice of life and different exercises motivate different people. Sure, if you dig into the science behind things, it usually turns out that people can argue that some exercises are "better" than others - but at the end of the day anything that gets people motivated, active and moving is a good thing. I'm not personally drawn to HIIT. I do a variety of cardio and strength training exercises 5-6 days a week, and I'm happy with the fitness/health/body-shape improvements I am seeing from this routine. I realize my distance don't really count as real "long" distance yet, but I do have a half marathon, and eventually a marathon on my training plan. Am I doing these to lose fat? No - I want to do them for the sense of accomplishment they give me.