Help with calcium

Options
Im in need of ideas for high calcium foods that aren't packed full of calories. Im finding it hard to get my calcium anywhere near my daily goal. I really don't like milk that much so Im looking for something besides milk & cheese. Thanks in advance for any ides.

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat.... I have to take a calcium supplement... that is what I suggest!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I drink orange juice that is fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Be sure you get enough vitamin D with your calcium as they work together for the bones and D helps you absorb more calcium.
  • muzicgurl02
    Options
    Not all cheese/dairy is high cal. Look for low fat or reduced fat versions. Personally, I'd rather get my nutrients from actual food than from a supplement any day.

Fat-free, sugar-free yogurt. 1 cup is under 100 calories, contains 15% of your daily calcium needs, plus has about 8 grams of protein. 1% cottage cheese with pineapple is also yummy; 1 cup of cottage cheese contains 14% of your daily calcium needs, plus 28 grams of protein and is 163 calories. 1 cup of pineapple added to it is 74 calories and gives you 94% of your daily Vitamin C needs. Makes a great lunch or snack for 237 calories.

Also, dark green, leafy vegetables are good sources of calcium, such as collard greens and turnip greens. Especially when accompanied by foods rich in vitamin D (like milk, cheese, or eggs), greens can really up your calcium without upping your calories. So an egg white omelette with spinach and cheese would be great and not bad on calories!

Also remember that the body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at a time, so don't try to cram it all in one meal. Spread it throughout the day.

Calcium Food Sources Include: spinach, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, Swiss chard, yogurt, kale, mozzarella cheese, cow's milk, goat's milk, basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, peppermint leaves, romaine lettuce, celery, broccoli, sesame seeds, fennel, cabbage, summer squash, green beans, garlic, tofu, brussel sprouts, oranges, asparagus and crimini mushrooms, oregano, rosemary, parsley, kombu, and kelp.

Check this website out: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45

Hope this helps :-)
  • OmelissaO
    OmelissaO Posts: 42
    Options
    I'll try all of those and see which one works best for me. They all sound easy enough.:wink: Thanks