Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dealng With Those First Trimester Hunger Pangs! Help!!!!

I just found out Im pregnant and now I have the appetite of a horse. lol I have two older kids, but I didnt eat healthy befre and gained alot of weight (50+ pounds). I really need help maaging my diet this time. I need your help please!

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Congratulations!!!!:happy:

You should increase your calorie intake by a little bit during the first trimester and by more in the 2nd and 3rd trimester. Most of your weight gain should actually come in the 3rd trimester to make sure it is mostly baby and not fat, but I'm sure you already know that. I say allow one small treat and do as much exercise as your doctor allows and enjoy your healthy pregnancy.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Thank you. It's so hard to avoid cravings. If I crave a burrito with a crap load of sour cream WATCH OUT! lol
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    yay! Congrats! Have no advice as I've never been pregnant... maybe portion control!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    I would speak to your midwife for advice on diet and exercise :o)
  • sargent1976
    sargent1976 Posts: 33 Member
    Congratulations.

Honestly i would listen to my body and definitely up your calorie intake. Try and make it as healthy as possible. I have 3 kids and with each one i gained 70+lbs when i was pregnant (i wasn't healthy). Make sure you are taking care of the tiny little bundle in your tummy, the 1st trimester is when everything develops.
  • Scorpiomom222
    yay! Congrats! Have no advice as I've never been pregnant... maybe portion control!

lol Thanks. I try but I'm hungry every friggin hour or two.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Congratulations!!!!!!:drinker:
    I've been there 4 times, and I know how hard it is! With my last (and healthiest) pregnancy, I gained 29 lbs, and I attribute it to healthy eating and tons of exercise. Trust me, I TOTALLY understand that in the first trimester, there's no way to eat carrot sticks when you are craving a burrito! lol I found that it REALLY helped to eat every couple hours. If I let my stomach get too empty, then I felt sick and that's when I would make bad choices. I kept lots of cheese sticks on hand. If you drink milk, that helps settle the stomach and also fill you up. Proteins will help you feel full longer.

Honestly though, if you doctor/midwife has cleared you for exercise, and you aren't too sick to move a little, I say utilize this site to the fullest: if you crave it, go ahead and eat it (within reason, of course); and exercise to make up for extra calories. I did weights and running till 6 months or so, then went to power walking several miles a day. Good luck! So excited for you! :)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Thank you. It's so hard to avoid cravings. If I crave a burrito with a crap load of sour cream WATCH OUT! lol

LOL....that is what I craved with my first child. But they always triggered morning sickness so I had to get two so I could hold one down.

You could maybe try fat free sour cream. At first it tastes different but once you get use to it you can't stand the full fat stuff. At least that's how it is for me. I can't eat full fat sour cream, cheese, etc. anymore because they taste funny now. ;) While it doesn't totally cut out the food, it does cut the calories some by not having the extra 9 calories per gram for the fat.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    CONGRATS, mama!! How exciting!!!!! Like others said, it's nearly impossible to ignore those hunger pains in the first trimester. I would say, eat what you NEED. If your body is craving a burger or ice cream, have some. SOME. Don't go through the drive thru and grab three burgers, lol. I know, I've been there before. With my last two pregnancies, I gained FORTY lbs!! And I definitely paid for it afterwards! When I was pregnant, I would have cravings, not want anything BUT the cravings, and then get sick if I didn't eat! So why don't you try stocking up on some delicious healthy food that you don't normally get, that you might get excited to eat later in the day after you've had your craving? Low fat frozen yogurt, fancy cheese and fancy crackers? Spend a little bit of extra money on you every week when you go grocery shopping. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Congrats! This is a tough one - the 1st trimester I caved into my cravings "once in a while". A big mac w/ my son and taco bell & pasta anything with my daughter. I would make sure the majority of your food/drink is healthy. Remember you are the incubator for your baby. Also lots of bad food can give you heart burn and other stuff maybe your partner wouldn't enjoy :embarassed: .

Check this out and other pregnancy websites: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

For healthy weight gain guidelines. BabyCenter has great advice for mommies too.

Enjoy your pregnancy!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    I suggest not dieting while pregnant unless your doctor is fully informed and supportive.
    Instead change gears and just eat very "clean" without worrying about quantity.
    If you limit yourself to healthy foods both mama and baby will benefit.
    Then after baby arrives lots of excess weight will fall off.
    Don't try to fight nature
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I have had five kids, and I can definitely relate to the mad hunger.
    With my first two children I gained a lot of weight. With my last three, I barely gained any weight, (about 7-10lbs) with each so in essence I lost weight while I was pregnant, but I was eating much healthier than I had been when I wasn't eating for two and I had more than enough weight to spare.
    Its really good to talk to your obgyn or midwife about your goals and they can help you with healthy weight gain during the pregnancy.
    If you are having hunger pangs your body is truly telling you that you are hungry and that it needs food to provide for the life growing inside you. Even if you are not eating properly, the baby is taking nutrients from you to make sure he/she is geeting what is needed. And if you end up STARVING yourself you will gain more which might not be noticed during the pregnancy but will definitely show up after.

Best I can say is EAT FOR TWO but NOT LIKE TWO
  • Scorpiomom222

LOL....that is what I craved with my first child. But they always triggered morning sickness so I had to get two so I could hold one down.

You could maybe try fat free sour cream. At first it tastes different but once you get use to it you can't stand the full fat stuff. At least that's how it is for me. I can't eat full fat sour cream, cheese, etc. anymore because they taste funny now. ;) While it doesn't totally cut out the food, it does cut the calories some by not having the extra 9 calories per gram for the fat.
    I have actually replaced the sour cream with plain nonfat yogurt. It tastes the same to me, so it works. Thanks to everyone that has responded!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Congrats! This is a tough one - the 1st trimester I caved into my cravings "once in a while". A big mac w/ my son and taco bell & pasta anything with my daughter. I would make sure the majority of your food/drink is healthy. Remember you are the incubator for your baby. Also lots of bad food can give you heart burn and other stuff maybe your partner wouldn't enjoy :embarassed: .

Check this out and other pregnancy websites: http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

For healthy weight gain guidelines. BabyCenter has great advice for mommies too.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Thank you! Yeah, I gave up the soda back in september so really the only things I drink is milk, coffee, and water. I just need to work on the food i eat. It's so hard not to eat fast when I'm so hungry, but I know it takes time for my brain to tell my body I'm full. Ugh! What an unexpected challenge. lol Thanks for the link!!!