MORE/FITNESS half marathon (NYC)

Options
nakami
nakami Posts: 34 Member
I signed up for one this year (April 3rd) in Central Park, NYC. Just looking for training tips and others who signed up as well.

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This race is VERY walker friendly t has a really long cut off

It is well run - NYRR stages races in central park all the time - they have it down to an art form

you will need to pick up you race packs a day or 2 before - usually you can get someone else to pick up for you if you can not get there - there is usually no race day pickup for this race.

If you are a fast runner you will loop the walkers which can be hard when you are tired and you have to run around people walking 4 or 5 abreast - it is what it is - this is what this even caters to

Cantral park is hilly - more so than anyone outside NYC seems to appreciate - if you train on the flat only you will not have a fun day

There is not much in the way of crowd support and the park is open to other users like cyclists during that time so stay alert
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So jealous! I would kill to be able to sign up for that! I love NYC! I'm originally from NJ! Now I live in Florida!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    How far are you running now? That is in like 3 weeks...I love my spy belt. You can attach your number to it, plus it has a pocket to put keys or a small bar and you can attach GU packets if you do that. I am guessing you are coming up on your longest run here soon. I would try and use that like a mini race run. Practice fueling your body and pick the outfit (whole thing from undies, socks, bra hat etc..) that you want to wear that day and run in it. Other then that.. just keep one foot in front of the other and you'll do fine.
  • nakami
    Options
    To mfkfoster: They organize one every year! I am definitely doing it again next year :) You should join too. It keeping me motivated to lose weight. I live about 2 hours away from NYC but don`t mind waking up at 4am and traveling so far just for run this race :)
  • nakami
    Options
    To coronalime: I got belt in Walmart recently and planning to wear it on the day of the race. My only problem: I am night runner, morning runs don`t do so well, feeling weak and exhausted. This is my second half marathon, and I run 5K 3-4 times a week + cross training, 2 weeks before slowly increasing from 5K to 7K, 10K and finally 15K two days before :):happy: