Someone PLEASE explain this calorie thing to me?!

Options
MFP says I should eat 1200 calories a day, and I do. I typically go over, but not by very much at all. I also work out almost every day, so at the end of the day, after all meals and workouts are included, my NET calories is ALWAYS 200-300 below 1200, sometimes even more. When I'm not hungry, I don't eat. I never skip meals, I just don't eat extra if I'm not hungry.
Am I doing this wrong? Do my NET calories need to say 1200 at the end of the day? If so, can someone please explain it to me so that I understand? I feel kinda dumb here...

Replies

• ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    If your exercising a lot..you should probably be eating more sweetie. I usually try not to let my net cals go under 1200
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Read this thread, it deals well with your situation

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    Id like the answer to this as well I'm a tad bit confused lol
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not killing myself when I'm working out, right now I'm actually just doing 30 day shred, and occasionally walking in the evenings with my kids or playing just dance or something with my oldest.
    I guess eating more really freaks me out cuz eating more is what got me to 170lbs in the first place. And I feel like if I'm eating when I'm not hungry, or continuing to eat even after I'm full, just to bring my calorie count up, that I'm defeating the purpose here... I dunno, I just don't get it I guess. Like I said, I feel kinda dumb here...
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately going too low in calories can have the opposite effect. You need so many calories in the day to maintain organs and body systems. If you are below that for too long it can slow weight loss by slowing your metabolism (your body does this to conserve energy). Then it digs into lean muscle mass for fuel. Keep your NET calories above 1200 and you should be good.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's good that people are referring to prior posts instead of trying to explain it again. Thank you guys. It seems every time someone asks this, someone else tries to explain, and there are already plenty of posts out there that explain it.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred in Jan/Feb while on WW and noticed NO weight loss. Even though it's a great quick workout when you're short on time, I don't think it's enough to keep weight loss going. That could just be me though. Also - when I started MFP a little over a week ago, i couldn't deal with 1200/day. The only way I could stick to that was if I exercised and earned another 300-500 calories. I adjusted my goal to -1.5/wk giving me 1320 calories, and I've felt SO much better in week 2 than 1. I can actually modify my intake in a day and not require exercise now if I absolutely need a day off.

Maybe find some snacks that are just as healthy, just a little higher in calories? Or increase your breakfast calories. (I always skimp on breakfast and make it as low as possible out of fear!!) If you've already lost 32 lbs so far, your metabolism has probably finally caught up and is in freak out mode, so you might need to reset it with a little bit of an increased calorie intake.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as your are......I am so confused right now
    not knowing if I should be eating more or less....
    am interested in the answers
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 30 day shred in Jan/Feb while on WW and noticed NO weight loss. Even though it's a great quick workout when you're short on time, I don't think it's enough to keep weight loss going. That could just be me though. Also - when I started MFP a little over a week ago, i couldn't deal with 1200/day. The only way I could stick to that was if I exercised and earned another 300-500 calories. I adjusted my goal to -1.5/wk giving me 1320 calories, and I've felt SO much better in week 2 than 1. I can actually modify my intake in a day and not require exercise now if I absolutely need a day off.

Maybe find some snacks that are just as healthy, just a little higher in calories? Or increase your breakfast calories. (I always skimp on breakfast and make it as low as possible out of fear!!) If you've already lost 32 lbs so far, your metabolism has probably finally caught up and is in freak out mode, so you might need to reset it with a little bit of an increased calorie intake.

I haven't lost 32lbs, I have 32lbs to go lol.

As far as asking the same question that others have apparently asked, SO SORRY to repeat, but I'm pretty sure we all keep asking because we all want to know.

I suppose it is a mental thing for me, I have struggled with my weight and body image for as long as I can remember, and as much as most people don't understand it, for someone like me (it's taken a LONG time to be able to say this about myself, I'm working on the mental aspect, so PLEASE no one be ugly to me for saying this) body image is unfortunately completely consuming. I've finally gotten to a point that I can work at this on my own, but that doesn't mean I'm 100% mentally/emotionally, it just means I've made big progress and I finally feel like I CAN control myself more then my weight can. But for myself, and the thousands of others out there like me, that keep asking the same questions, it is FRIGHTENING to think we need to eat more, put more in our bodies, when all along it was putting more in our bodies that got us here in the first place.

I'm NOT starving myself, I never have, my issues with food unfortunately were always the opposite lol. Like I said, I always eat my 1200 calories, unless something crazy and unexpected comes up, and with 2 kids, that happens. And most the time I actually eat a little more then my 1200 calories. I drink LOTS of water and I include veggies and fruit as often as possible, although not nearly as often as I should, I'm sure. I guess what I'm saying is it just feels really counterproductive to eat if I'm not hungry and I hate the way I feel when I've eaten too much, I think that's a pretty normal feeling... who likes to feel full and stuffed like that?
  • OUKoala23
    OUKoala23 Posts: 17
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the OP and the above. I don't know why this is still confusing to me. I normally struggle to GET to 1200 calories and never would think that's the reason why I'm not losing weight. It's interesting to see the responses and the previous posts on this.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    your net does not have to be over 1200. At the end of the day if you have NOT input any exercise and hit "Complete Entry" on your food page if you are under 1200 calories you will receive a message about starvation mode. If you eat at least 1200 calories but exercise so your net is less, then you will not receive this message.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    it's good that people are referring to prior posts instead of trying to explain it again. Thank you guys. It seems every time someone asks this, someone else tries to explain, and there are already plenty of posts out there that explain it.

Amen to this.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I haven't lost 32lbs, I have 32lbs to go lol.

As far as asking the same question that others have apparently asked, SO SORRY to repeat, but I'm pretty sure we all keep asking because we all want to know.

I suppose it is a mental thing for me, I have struggled with my weight and body image for as long as I can remember, and as much as most people don't understand it, for someone like me (it's taken a LONG time to be able to say this about myself, I'm working on the mental aspect, so PLEASE no one be ugly to me for saying this) body image is unfortunately completely consuming. I've finally gotten to a point that I can work at this on my own, but that doesn't mean I'm 100% mentally/emotionally, it just means I've made big progress and I finally feel like I CAN control myself more then my weight can. But for myself, and the thousands of others out there like me, that keep asking the same questions, it is FRIGHTENING to think we need to eat more, put more in our bodies, when all along it was putting more in our bodies that got us here in the first place.

I'm NOT starving myself, I never have, my issues with food unfortunately were always the opposite lol. Like I said, I always eat my 1200 calories, unless something crazy and unexpected comes up, and with 2 kids, that happens. And most the time I actually eat a little more then my 1200 calories. I drink LOTS of water and I include veggies and fruit as often as possible, although not nearly as often as I should, I'm sure. I guess what I'm saying is it just feels really counterproductive to eat if I'm not hungry and I hate the way I feel when I've eaten too much, I think that's a pretty normal feeling... who likes to feel full and stuffed like that?

I think, maybe you misinterpret. It wasn't a dig on your post, I understand why you ask it, it was just an acknowledgement of the people that post the answer to this from other topics. There was no malice intended, and any ill will you perceived was incorrectly interpreted from my post. I was simply saying that there are a lot of responses to this question already, and there's no need to answer it fresh every time as it would be re-inventing the wheel. As such I was just thanking folks for referring to the work some of us have already done in the past to explain this topic. If you take a look at those posts and you are still confused, then I don't see any reason why not to ask questions.

most of us have been or are where you're at tldabney, I myself was obese 5 years ago and lost 60 lbs partially because of MFP. We understand the issues you face, and fully support your effort. I wish you continued success.

-Banks
  • armygurl92
    Options
    actually i was wondering the same thing but then i realized the only time mine says im eating to less is when my food calories are under 1200 it doesnt matter about your net calories. at the end of the day you should have your food calories say 1200 or more becuase if it says any less then thats when it will tell you that your eating to few calories so just watch your food calories