Does HRM calories subtract BMR?

Options
I recently began using a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor (HRM) that tells me I burn 500 calories in an hour on the treadmill.
The basic metabolism rate (BMR) tool here tells me my BMR is 91 calories per hour.

During the hour on the treadmill did I actually burn 500 calories more than my BMR or does the 500 include the 91 I would have burned resting?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    No it doenst subtract out BMR
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...doesn't MFP account for BMR though?
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have read that HRM do not include calories already burned by your BMR. I am glad you brought that to my attention, because I have not been subtracting that at all!
  • elcar7
    elcar7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    in the last days I was deprived why my Polar HRM always is showing sooo much less than the calorie counter on the elliptical, which also tracks my correct heart rate just as the polar.

I was reading alot of discussions about that on here and I googled it. What came to my mind first, was that this could be due to the substraction of the bmr-cals.

I found on this site http://www.howtobefit.com/polar-owncal-feature.htm, that the Polar HRMs with the OwnCal® function only start counting the calories, when your heart rate is above 100/90 bpm (depending on the series), which covers the BMR-cals.

so in my opinion this solves the problem for me, and I won't subtract anything else, just go on entering the cals from my Polar.