I'm just not getting it!!!

Options
I am ALWAYs over something. whether it be cal, carbs or protein.. and I can't seem to get a good balance without seeing that darn negative sign. I am posting my "menu" for today. This time I'm going over in protein..maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong..or things I can change. It seems like even when I go over protein or carbs I still have a good amt of calories to eat before i hit 1200....... but when i go over my calories...I still have a good amt of either protein or carbs to eat..strange I know!! So here it is...Help!

Breakfast
Splenda - No Calorie Sweetener, 1 tsp
Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
Great Value (Walmart) - French Vanilla Coffee Creamer Ultra-Pasteurized, 1 Tbsp
Price Right Oat Meal - rolled oats Oatmeal, 1 c

Cal- 348 carbs-64 fat-7 protein-10

Lunch
Egg Whites- Fried , 1 large egg
Sargento Reduced Fat Cheese - Mexican Shredded, 1/4 cup
Great Value - Skim (Fat Free) Milk, 1 cup

Cal- 187 carbs-14 fat-6 protein-18

Dinner
Zucchini, Raw, 1 cup
Filippo Berio - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.5 tablespoon
Perdue - Chicken Breast - Boneless Skinless, 3 oz cooked
Great Value - Zesty Italian Dressing, 1 Tbsp

Cal- 240 carbs-7 fat-14 protein-24

Snacks
Grapes - Green, 1 cup
Rold Gold® - Classic Stick Pretzels, 48 sticks
Watermelon

Cal-162 carbs-52 fat-0 protein-3

Total: Cal-937 Carbs-137 Fat-27 protein-55
Your Daily Goal: cal-1,200 carb-165 fat-40 protein-45
Remaining: 263 28 13 -10

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    I am ALWAYs over something. whether it be cal, carbs or protein.. and I can't seem to get a good balance without seeing that darn negative sign. I am posting my "menu" for today. This time I'm going over in protein..maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong..or things I can change. It seems like even when I go over protein or carbs I still have a good amt of calories to eat before i hit 1200....... but when i go over my calories...I still have a good amt of either protein or carbs to eat..strange I know!! So here it is...Help!

Breakfast
    Splenda - No Calorie Sweetener, 1 tsp
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Great Value (Walmart) - French Vanilla Coffee Creamer Ultra-Pasteurized, 1 Tbsp
    Price Right Oat Meal - rolled oats Oatmeal, 1 c

Cal- 348 carbs-64 fat-7 protein-10

Lunch
    Egg Whites- Fried , 1 large egg
    Sargento Reduced Fat Cheese - Mexican Shredded, 1/4 cup
    Great Value - Skim (Fat Free) Milk, 1 cup

Cal- 187 carbs-14 fat-6 protein-18

Dinner
    Zucchini, Raw, 1 cup
    Filippo Berio - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.5 tablespoon
    Perdue - Chicken Breast - Boneless Skinless, 3 oz cooked
    Great Value - Zesty Italian Dressing, 1 Tbsp

Cal- 240 carbs-7 fat-14 protein-24

Snacks
    Grapes - Green, 1 cup
    Rold Gold® - Classic Stick Pretzels, 48 sticks
    Watermelon

Cal-162 carbs-52 fat-0 protein-3

Total: Cal-937 Carbs-137 Fat-27 protein-55
    Your Daily Goal: cal-1,200 carb-165 fat-40 protein-45
    Remaining: 263 28 13 -10
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I always go over my protein, but i don't consider that to be a problem
  • LML79
    Options
    so I guess it is better to go over protein vs. calories?
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    LML79, your lunch is a little light. Maybe add an english muffin or piece of toast with a small amount of butter or peanut butter. this will give you extra carbs and fat that you need without giving you too much protein.

I always go over on my protein but that is because I love meat and I eat a lot of it.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless your a body builder or professional athlete, I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're following a healthy diet. Make sure you're following the food pyramid in terms of getting the recommended servings of fruit/veggies and fiber and the rest will be ok. You've also got to remember that MFP does not differentiate between healthy fats and unhealthy fats. With you're meal today, add in some veggies and you'll still be within your calories and balance out the carbs.....

Don't stress, this site offers guidelines, not hard/fast rules. I go over my protein all the time and my latest checkup was great! My cholesteral and triglycerides have dropped by more than 100 points.

You're doing fine.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Options
    I think that you are too low on your calorie intake. You ate 937 calories, and your body needs to have about 1200 calories a day, otherwise it will go into starvation mode and hold on to your reserves which sabotages all your efforts. Your food choices look excellent, with the exception of the creamer! Try eating the 1200 calories plus exercise for a week and see what happens. If you do that, you should start to see some results! And keep me posted! Keep it up...don't get discouraged!!!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    so I guess it is better to go over protein vs. calories?

i think so
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little--900 and some calories is simply not enough for your body to maintain itself in healthy state. You should be eating at least 1200 calories per day.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    You're eating way too little--900 and some calories is simply not enough for your body to maintain itself in healthy state. You should be eating at least 1200 calories per day.

I agree you're NOT eating enough. Generally, the protein listed on here is too low, si if you're going over don't worry about it. You should try to make sure you're getting a balance of carbs, fats and proteins at every meal. I wouldn't worry too much about going over in any of the categories as long as you're sticking to healthy foods and getting at least 1200 calories in a day (more when you excercise).
  • LML79
    Options
    oh yes I forgot to add...this is my rough draft LOL.. I usually end up adding things in as the day oges on....eating about 1500 calories and then working my but off to at least TRY to get back to 1200..... but even on my best days... i end up over in SOMETHING!

I have already gone over stuff ..thanks eating 2 cups of the rolled oats instead of one ( hungry morning I guess) Which now..when added to the menu above has now brought me overboard once again.
    Your Daily Goal: Cal- 1,200 Carb-165 fat- 40 protein-45
    Remaining: -37 -26 8 -20

All from eating 2 cups of oatmeal instead of one. I haven't exercised since Friday but wanted to see if without exercise I could stay within a normal range....... guess not!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You might try a different mix for breakfast if you are hungry. I some times eat oatmeal, but on 1/2 cp with 1 cp of blue berries or 1/3 cp of dried cranberries. Another more filling breakfast is Jimmy Dean Delights - whole wheat english muffin with turkey sausage, egg white and cheese - about 230 calories and I don't get hungry till after noon!

When you add more to your diet, try not to add carb or protein, add more fruit and veggie. I eat a huge pile of romaine lettus with balsamic vinegar, feta cheese and some fruit. Very filling and low in cals. V-8 is also a great low cal filling snack. Some thing I added this week is frozen peppers and onions sauted with a squirt of Pam topped with salsa. Tastes a lot like fajitas with very few cals. (portobella mushrooms go great with that!)

I agree with the others on the protien, I wouldn't worry too much if your sources are lean meat, low fat dairy etc.

Good luck!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I always just focus on CALORIES!!!!

I figure I eat balanced meals most of the time, with healthy whole foods, so I just let those other numbers be a guide, not a rule.

Hope that helps!
    :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    somehow this double posted.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The protein will keep you satisfied and keep you on track going over isn't a problem.

I changed the carbs to fiber. I consider the calories and fat to be maximums and the fiber and protein to be minimums.
  • LML79
    Options
    thanks for the helpful ideas everyone! Today is a new day..lets hope to not see any negative signs !! haha!! thanks again :heart: :heart: