Exercise Calories overload

Options
Here's the sitch:

I get sporadic exercise here and there. The bulk of it comes from my dance classes twice a week. One night I dance for nearly 3 hours (give or take the down time between classes, groups, etc.) At my current weight this is approximately 1,000 calories that I'm supposed to eat back. My problem is that I am having a dastardly difficult time trying to eat them back. I dance from 6-9pm so that doesn't leave much time to eat all those calories before bed.

Dear MFP-ers what are your suggestions for GOOD foods to eat before I go to dance that are higher in calories, protein etc. I've been having difficulty combining eating before dance, dancing and then "gaining back" 1,000 calories that I have to somehow cram into the rest of my day. I've made some bad choices or not good enough choice so far and now I'm looking for some guidance. Please feel free to be as specific as you like with suggestions. Thanks!!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like slower digesting carbs with some protein in it about 1.5 hrs preworkout, something like chili for instance. That will prime you for muscle gain and energy, rather than try to eat all them post workout I would try just eating more earlier in the day, I do that on workout days as I burn from 700-1000 cals per workout. If I did all them post workout I would be filled and sleeping on food that I just ate. I also love a huge breakfast the morning of the workout. My food diary is public take a look at today's breakfast as an idea. Post workout drink is 1-2 glasses of 1% choc milk for energy and recovery followed with a 300ish cal protein shake made of fruit, flax and cinnamon and honey.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you know you're going to have a higher calorie day, plan your day accordingly. Supplement your whole day with extra calories, if it's 1000 total, add 300 per meal, or 200 and have a 200 calorie snack after.

I run into the same issue in teh summer. I pitch in mens baseball, and 9 innings of pitching the first game of a double header then playing center field for the second game, that's roughly 1500 calories extra. I'll make my breakfast of about 1000 calories (my daily calories is about 4000 on those days), have a 400 calorie snack after the first game, have a late lunch of about 900 calorie after the second game, have a 500 calorie snack at about 4:00, another 800 calories for dinner at 6:30 and another 400 calorie snack at about 7:30 or 8:00 that night

Seems like a ton of calories doesn't it? It is, and 4000 is an extreme example as my maintenance calories are 2650 to 2700 anyway, but I do it, and it works, and I don't gain weight doing it. It really does work.