NOT LOSING

Options
I work out 5-7 days a week, cardio. I burn 5000-7000 calories a week (about 1000 per day, usually more). I eat healthily, lots of fruits, spinach, fish. I don't eat/drink dairy, so I take calcium tablets to keep up my calcium. I eat more fish than I do chicken (I have chicken once or twice a week). I sleep 7-8 hours a night. On weekends I might cheat a little bit, having some DARK chocolate (no milk chocolate/white chocolate for me). The closest thing to unhealthy food that I eat is smartpop popcorn or tostitos multigrain chips. I drink only water. I no longer drink alcohol. I eat over 1200 calories worth per day (because of the major calorie burn from workouts), but that is recommended.

SO SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHY I'VE LOST ABSOLUTELY ZERO WEIGHT IN THE LAST MONTH AND A HALF.

My thighs are still huge as ever. My tummy is still flabby. Love handles all over the damn place. My back is not toned the way it should be. The ONLY place I have seen any change is my chest, which has become unfortunately smaller, and now my bras don't fit.

I weight 155 lbs (ugh) and I am 5'3. Please help. I am desperate.

Replies

• Mara54
    Mara54 Posts: 5
    Options
    Possible you're building muscle but have your had your thyroid tested?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    By over 1200 calories worth, do you mean net calories (what you eat minus exercise calories) or just 1200+ calories from eating? If you're not getting 1200 net calories, you probably aren't eating enough. I'm 5'3" as well and stuck at 150. I'm increasing my food intake so my net calories are closer to 1200, so I'm eating upwards of 1500 and 1600 calories a day to reach that amount. I haven't seen the scale start moving yet, but I only started eating more this week so it'll take some time to see the results of it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Start resistance training and Interval training. You may burn less calories in your workouts because they are shorter, but resistance training like Metabolic Resistance Training or Interval Training, especially High Intensity Interval Training will burn a lot more fat than cardio, and unlike cardio they keep burning after you stop exercising. My other thought is you may be over training, you might want to dial it back a bit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I work out 5-7 days a week, cardio. I burn 5000-7000 calories a week (about 1000 per day, usually more). I eat healthily, lots of fruits, spinach, fish. I don't eat/drink dairy, so I take calcium tablets to keep up my calcium. I eat more fish than I do chicken (I have chicken once or twice a week). I sleep 7-8 hours a night. On weekends I might cheat a little bit, having some DARK chocolate (no milk chocolate/white chocolate for me). The closest thing to unhealthy food that I eat is smartpop popcorn or tostitos multigrain chips. I drink only water. I no longer drink alcohol. I eat over 1200 calories worth per day (because of the major calorie burn from workouts), but that is recommended.

SO SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHY I'VE LOST ABSOLUTELY ZERO WEIGHT IN THE LAST MONTH AND A HALF.

My thighs are still huge as ever. My tummy is still flabby. Love handles all over the damn place. My back is not toned the way it should be. The ONLY place I have seen any change is my chest, which has become unfortunately smaller, and now my bras don't fit.

How much do you eat, if you burn 1000 cals/day you should be eating anywhere from 2200-2500 calories. You may not be eating enough.
  • angelinah
    angelinah Posts: 20
    Options
    By over 1200 calories worth, do you mean net calories (what you eat minus exercise calories) or just 1200+ calories from eating? If you're not getting 1200 net calories, you probably aren't eating enough.

I definitely eat about 1600 calories a day. I've considered cutting it way back to 1200 but yeah, I wouldn't be eating enough. I'm already hungry all the time as it is, I feel like I could eat ALL DAY and still be starving!
  • trecha
    trecha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    are you eating 1200 net calories? you may need to increase your intake. are you losing any inches?
  • erickirb
    Options
    Possible you're building muscle but have your had your thyroid tested?

Probably not, or very very minimal, as unless you are brand new to working out it is next to impossible to build muscle while in a caloric deficit.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 1600 calories and your burning 1000 a day- You are not eating nearly enough
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day 6 days a week and usually throw in a work out on the 7th day as well. My goal is set for 1250, once I add my exercise my goal goes up to anywhere between 1880 to over 2000, and once I'm done for the day, my NET is back at or within 15 of 1250. I'm 5 2 and a half, weighed in when I first started this about 12 days ago at 121-120, weighed in this week at 117.8. When you're building muscle the scale doesn't budge much and can go up do to your muscles retaining fluid. Just keep at it and I'm sure it'll start coming off.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, but it sounds like you might not be eating enough.

On your homepage there is an equation that says:

GOAL FOOD-EXERCISE=NET

The way MFP is designed, your goal is to get your NET calories to equal that GOAL number. My guess is for you it's between 250-500 pretty much everyday... Get that number up between 1200 and your GOAL number and you will start to see results

(Side note- if your GOAL is 1200, that means your weekly weight loss setting- 1, 1.5 or 2lbs a week-- is too high, choose the next lowest setting. GOAL should be about 1300 or more. At 5'3" and 150 ish lbs, I recommend about 1350.)
  • erickirb
    Options
    By over 1200 calories worth, do you mean net calories (what you eat minus exercise calories) or just 1200+ calories from eating? If you're not getting 1200 net calories, you probably aren't eating enough.

I definitely eat about 1600 calories a day. I've considered cutting it way back to 1200 but yeah, I wouldn't be eating enough. I'm already hungry all the time as it is, I feel like I could eat ALL DAY and still be starving!

1200 net is 1200 plus your exercise calories, so on days you burn 1000 you need to eat 2200 to net 1200 (2200-1000)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same exercises every day? Maybe change things up and give your body a challenge. I know after some time if you do the same workouts you can hit a plateau. Like one of the other posters mentioned.. are you getting enough net calories? Just some thoughts as I read your post :)
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How long have you been exercising and eating like this?

What was it like when you first started?

It's possible that your body has got used to it. Stuck in a rut, that type of thing.

Maybe have a day where you whatever you want and not think about the calories. On several gym inductions i've had that is the advice that the instructor has given me. I've also read a bit on the message boards etc about cheat days/meals giving a metabolism boost. Not sure how right this is but maybe look into it as a possibility.
  • angelinah
    angelinah Posts: 20
    Options
    Maybe have a day where you whatever you want and not think about the calories. On several gym inductions i've had that is the advice that the instructor has given me. I've also read a bit on the message boards etc about cheat days/meals giving a metabolism boost. Not sure how right this is but maybe look into it as a possibility.

I've heard that too, about cheat days. I limit myself to one every month/month and a half. I've been on MFP since Feb 2011 (approx. a month and a half ago) but I have been seriously working on losing weight since the beginning of Dec. 2010 (before that I went to the gym about twice a week and burned far less than 1000 per attendance). So far I've had one real cheat day. There was ONE time I had a slice of cake (it was my brothers birthday) but I burned 2000 calories at the gym the next day to work it off.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

without seeing your food diary I can not make specific advice but in most cases I would say you are not getting enough fat and by fat I mean healthy fat like omega 3s and nuts, olive oil etc. Most ppl who I have seen diet on here eat very low fat, and those healthy fats will burn off fat for you. healthy fat works for the body not against it. Also shake up the routine, take 3 days off a week, to allow the body to heal by working out as much as you do I would say you are in a catabolic state where the body is eating your muscle as fuel. Muscle burns fat, overworking it will make the muscles turn on themselves since they are not properly fueled to begin with. Post workout drink 1-2 cups of 1% choc milk, 15 mins later a good protein shake with some fruit and fiber in it. Feel free to check my diary I have made some small tweaks and do so regularly with no plateaus in almost 3 mths.
  • guayaquil
    Options
    If you are eating only 1600 a day but exercising 1000 a day you are a prime candidate for being in starvation mode - your net is only 600. Best bet is to do two things - cut back on the exercise a bit and ramp up the calories so that you are comfortably over the calorie threshold for a couple of weeks - for a daily example;

Exercise 500-800 calories
    Eat 2350-2500 calories.

Do this regularly for a few weeks. Most likely you'll actually gain a couple of pounds but don't freak out. You are shocking your body into realizing it is okay to use fat. After that you can adjust some and the weight should start flying off if you are doing 1000 cardio a day. If your goal is 1600 and your exercise is 1000 your eating goal should be 2300-2600 calories intake to lose around 2 pounds a week.

Good luck!
  • DianaSuvorova
    DianaSuvorova Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit like my story. I think it has something to do with how your organism reacts to such extensive workouts. I have similar symptoms and have no idea what to do-)

I see the same difference-my bras are too big but my jeans are too tight.

Since I stated counting calories and exercise daily (1,5 month ago) I didn't lose any, I even gained a bit more. And that's so frustrating. Never in my life I've been in a better muscle shape. But I've never been that heavy as well.
    And there is nothing magical about it.
    Before regular exercising I wouldn't eat diner at all, but now after evening GYM classes I am so hungry that I can't help it.
    And I feel that I gain both muscles and fat and I'm getting bulky.
    And I have no idea how to change this.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Sounds a bit like my story. I think it has something to do with how your organism reacts to such extensive workouts. I have similar symptoms and have no idea what to do-)

I see the same difference-my bras are too big but my jeans are too tight.

Since I stated counting calories and exercise daily (1,5 month ago) I didn't lose any, I even gained a bit more. And that's so frustrating. Never in my life I've been in a better muscle shape. But I've never been that heavy as well.
    And there is nothing magical about it.
    Before regular exercising I wouldn't eat diner at all, but now after evening GYM classes I am so hungry that I can't help it.
    And I feel that I gain both muscles and fat and I'm getting bulky.
    And I have no idea how to change this.
    Read my post earlier, you are making the body work against itself and its not as simple as eat less workout more that you are programmed to believe. It will not get you the results you truly crave. If you want and with your permission I can go through your diary and take a look over it and will make suggestions tailored to you and the routine to get you the results you want.
  • DianaSuvorova
    DianaSuvorova Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Newfiedan,

Actually your previous post also sounds like my story-) I indeed reduced "fat" products I eat. I don't know if it's healthy fat or not. But earlier I was the biggest fan of cheese but I now I don't eat it-I just don't want it. The same with all oil salad dressing- I just don't want it.

Feel free to read my diary (it's a lot of work though-I eat a lot-)))

And I would appreciate any advices especially on what to eat after exercising.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    ok I will do so here momentarily in the meantime check out mine its public I am currently down to 20% bf and working to 10%. Not bad for 3 mths work and starting out 25 pounds heavier.