Weekend is coming...how do you get thru?

Options
The weekend is coming and it seems I always end up making one bad choice that just excelerates into one too many and by Monday my weight is back up to where I started. Plus we are going out of town this weekend so all meals will be at resturants. What do you do to stay strong on weekends? Any tips to not cave and pick what i WANT on the menu as opposed to what I NEED to pick? Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Two words......Self control.

Good luck!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can plan on exercising more on weekends. That would help offset more eating.
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    WATER!! I drink a glass of water and then ask myself if I really want what I am craving =)
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Sad, but true. It sounds much easier than it is...but really it's the only way to go. Try cutting out (or going light on) cheeses, dressings (ranch, mayo, etc). Even if you go over, be sure to log everything you eat. This will make it easier to deal with next time around.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    advanced planning all your food - look up and research the menus before hand - know what you have to eat in the day to be able to eat out in the evening - and ask your friends who you are with to help you by not letting you eat crap
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Look up on mfp how many calories are in the food before ordering it. When u order food first thing is divide your food in half take half home and eat only half. Fill up on salad ignore the bread.
  • helthymom6
    Options
    Maybe you could allow yourslelf ONE thing that you WAnt off the menu all weekend. then if the rest of what you eat is good for you and you try to walk a little you should be okay. I find it better if i know I can pick one thing than to think I can't have anything that I might want.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Self control is a BIGGIE! Do you know what restaurants you're going to? If you do - Plan ahead - look online what they have and make good choices ahead of time. If they serve chips or bread before the meal already have the mindset you're not having any. If you must take half the piece of bread or a few of the chips then keep the rest on the other side of the table. Pack almonds, or other healthy snacks you can snack on during the day. "nothing tastes as good as being skinny feels! " :) Good LUCK!
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    You have to make these decisions for yourself. You have to remember why you want to be healthy. You need to find your inner strength. When I started my journey I stayed far away from temptation until I could get a handle on what was the most important to me. I've just recently been able to hit up restaurants and I have been completely successful and even my husband orders the healthy options to support me and my lifestyle change. I never say that I am dieting...it's a lifestyle change and it's one that I know will bring much happiness to me and my family. The last time we went away for the weekend, I packed meals and healthy snacks because it was during my time of 'avoiding temptation'. I simply just said NO! we are not going there and if we do, I'm staying in the car with my cooler of good choices. LOL It worked and my family was more interested in being together than eating a greasy burger. G'luck to you. Find your inner strength!
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Weekends completely derail me and not in the way you think. When I'm at work, its easier to remember to eat every few hours. But without that structure, I'm all over the place.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you've got the application on your phone it makes it pretty easy. What helps me is knowing I've got to track all my calories. I usually leave around 1000 for dinner and drinks. Since I've got the application on my phone, I can log it right then and there and see how many calories I still need to get in order to reach my goal.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I dont go out to eat when i travel i go to the grocery store and normally get sandwich stuff and lots of snacky fruits. Carry a bottle of water with you even though it suck to stop and pee it will give you an excuess to stop take a walk get out of the car and stretch. Try to stay in a hotel with a swimming pool or a gym.
    and thats what i would try to do. stay strong.
  • Alyssadiaz
    Options
    Weekends are torture for me while on a diet. lol. so i allow myself one "cheat" day on the weekend, but on the cheat day i make sure to just eat a little of what every treat it is I'm craving that way my mind is satisfied and I havent totally blown my progress. I've noticed its really a mind thing like and self control is absolutely key to not go on an eating binge!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    when I eat out at restaurants the only section I look at is the grilled food. Ignore the starters, deserts and pizzas. When my meal arrives I cut everything in half, if Im still hungry after the first half then I have the second half but by putting that mental image in my head that theres only half there I tend to leave some food instead of polishing it all off like I used to! I dont get any extra side orders, no breads and eat all the salad that the meal has been garnished with (huge for me as I hate salad) Order water instead of fizzy drinks. I know it sounds boring, but my impression was that it didnt spoil my night out, didnt spoil the meal and infact I enjoyed it more as I wasn't bloated from eating rubbish!

Weekends I guess are tricky because all I ever want to do is sleep and be lazy on the sofa, instead I plan well ahead things to do, whether its a long walk or swimming or a family day trip out where I know there's constant moving! On the flipside I always treat myself then for all the hard work Ive done, and I try and do this on a Sunday. I NEVER reward myself with food like I used to, instead I have a facepack, hot bottle bath, the latest book and a smoothie. It also helps prepare my body for the following weeks workouts.

Its not easy, I hate giving up my lazy Saturdays for walks which usually have me out in the cold, but I love my treat on a Sunday so makes it all worth it!

Enjoy your weekend away!!
  • sharaleeb
    sharaleeb Posts: 32
    Options
    I like to order what I want and split it with my hubby or 1 of my kiddos, that way I'm getting a little bit of what I want but not all the calories! I also order a side salad w/o dressing or w/ a lite dressing on the side to help fill me up! I can't skip the bread, I LOVE IT, so I just limit myself with 1/2 a piece or 1 breadstick. It's really hard and I just recently got the hang of it! Good luck!
  • song2sing
    song2sing Posts: 183
    Options
    If you have set a goal for yourself and have the mindset of accomplishing that goal, you can do anything you put your mind to!

I too agree with planning ahead on your meals and calorie counting! Share with the group your with that you need to eat healthy so that eateries chosen are conducive to at least something good on the menu for you!! You do the suggesting of where you want to go!!
    For sure drink water before you eat!! Always a filler!
    Love the weekends out, you can get alot of walking done at the mall, or other places (it all counts as exercise)! If you buy things, you are doing strength exercises by holding the darn bags!! Hold them out away from your body to feel the full burn! Heck hold everyone's bags while walking!!
    If there is a baby in the group, offer to carry the baby, that is also exercise!
    Think of how you are making healthier choices in your life and tell yourself that you can get through the wicked weekends!
    But most of all have fun doing it! Don't make it a chore, make it a choice!
    YOU CAN DO IT!! I'm rooting for you!!
  • dperez108
    dperez108 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Those are two words that aren't in my vocabulary!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    15 minutes before every meal, drink a full glass of water, and eat an apple. At a restaurant only order from the "sides" section of the menu. Seriously, I mean it. Everything else is usually way too fattening.

At home, plan your meals ahead of time. Make sure you eat a lot of protein in the morning and only eat whole-grains. Cut out sugar. Sugar is what makes you crave more food. Good luck.
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    Options
    Weekends completely derail me and not in the way you think. When I'm at work, its easier to remember to eat every few hours. But without that structure, I'm all over the place.

I have the same problem! I end up forgetting to eat every few hours, and then all of a sudden I'm STARVING and I tend to overeat then.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Those are two words that aren't in my vocabulary!

Well time to revise that dictionary girl. xD