weight lifting first of cardio first?

Starlage
Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone know for sure which is better to do first- weight lifting or cardio? I tend to do weights after cardio as a cool down-ish kinda thing. I recently read on a previous topic that you can log weights under the cardio section as "strength training"- had no idea! I was so frusterated that it wasn't counting calories burned during lifting- I'll definitely be doing that now! Also learned that you can enter stretching under cardio. I love the message boards :o) makes MFP complete!:happy:

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Anyone know for sure which is better to do first- weight lifting or cardio? I tend to do weights after cardio as a cool down-ish kinda thing. I recently read on a previous topic that you can log weights under the cardio section as "strength training"- had no idea! I was so frusterated that it wasn't counting calories burned during lifting- I'll definitely be doing that now! Also learned that you can enter stretching under cardio. I love the message boards :o) makes MFP complete!:happy:

Weights first. Max energy and strength to get the intensity needed to trigger growth and build strength. You don't even need cardio afterwords if you do it circuit style with as little rest as possible between exercises.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Weights should be first, otherwise you are trying to lift on already fatigued muscles and may compromise your form and/or you won't be able to lift at your max capacity so you won't get the full benefit from your workout.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    wrong answer, both is the answer in the form of metabolic resistance training, research it and hate me when your sore.
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    5-10min cardio warm up then weight then cardio. Otherwise you just used up all your strength in cardio. That is what I do 3x a week for the last 10 weeks and boy for a lady did I build some guns(biceps) even one of my guy friends said man take my wife with you to the gym, LOL that was a good one.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Well, not to be a rabble-rouser here, BUT . . . I do my cardio first and then weights; when I start out with weights first, I tend to pull muscles. It may just be me, but if I'm not seriously warmed up (at least 15 minutes for me), my muscles are cold and I get injured. I am a big believer, like the first guy said, however, in doing circuit weight training so it's both cardio and strength training at the same time. I love workouts where I do one weights exercise (like flyes for chest) for a minute, then go on to biceps for a minute, etc. That gets my blood pumping. Best of luck to you.:smile:
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Weights first, always weights first. Always make sure you warm up and stretch but you will have way more energy to lift weights before you do cardio. You'll be too burned out to lift effectively.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    They say for weight loss that you should do your weight training first because it uses up your stored carbohydrates and then when you get on your cardio machine all you have left is your excess fat to burn. But if you don't need to lose weight then I guess it depends on how you feel.
  • Weights first hands down! You want to do weights first because that will use up all you're immediate energy, which is what you need to build muscle, that way when you do your cardio, you only have stored energy (fat!) left, so you target you fat cells when you do cardio last. Doing cardio first thing in the morning-on an empty stomach-is optimal, you burn like 3 times the amount of fat, then you eat rest and do your weights later in the day... but if that can't work into your schedule (as is for most people) and you can't do your cardio first thing in the morning, doing your weights first, then cardio, is the optimal choice...
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    I have a heart rate monitor so I can see my actual calories burned during a workout. I find I burn more calories during my weight lifting if I do cardio first. The higher the heartrate the more cals you burn. Depends on your goal (burning the most cals or just toning up). You can also mix it up by doing cardio for a few mins in between weights to burn more fat by getting your heartrate up. There's a class at my gym called "power hour" that does this. Blends cardio/toning for maximum calorie burning.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    I think for me personally it is circuits... I do a 10 minute cardio and then hit legs, arms and abs, then cardio, legs arms and abs.... etc... I save the less strenuous weight work for the end so I have less risk of injury.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Weights first. Max energy and strength to get the intensity needed to trigger growth and build strength. You don't even need cardio afterwords if you do it circuit style with as little rest as possible between exercises.

agree, 100%; in fact, I try to dissuade my clients from doing aerobic and anaerobic training on the same day (or at least within a few hours of each other) as the hormone counteraction can diminish the effects of both. I have a great article from Jade Teta on this from an OnFitness from about a year ago, I'll have to dig it up, it cited all the research on it and everything. Man I wish I was better organized!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    For me, weights first. I lift heavy so I don't want to wear myself out with cardio before pumping iron :) I also don't like to get on all the weight training equipment full of sweat... yuck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Well, not to be a rabble-rouser here, BUT . . . I do my cardio first and then weights; when I start out with weights first, I tend to pull muscles. It may just be me, but if I'm not seriously warmed up (at least 15 minutes for me), my muscles are cold and I get injured. I am a big believer, like the first guy said, however, in doing circuit weight training so it's both cardio and strength training at the same time. I love workouts where I do one weights exercise (like flyes for chest) for a minute, then go on to biceps for a minute, etc. That gets my blood pumping. Best of luck to you.:smile:

you should warm up before doing either. at least 10 minutes of active stretching and light cardio, whether you are weight training or doing cardio. the same goes for cooldown.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Weights first, then cardio!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    They say for weight loss that you should do your weight training first because it uses up your stored carbohydrates and then when you get on your cardio machine all you have left is your excess fat to burn. But if you don't need to lose weight then I guess it depends on how you feel.

You would be burning muscle, not stored fat. Intense strength training is what let's you recover the muscle turnover.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Thank you for this info because I have been wondering this exact thing. I do a lot of running and find that if I run after I do weights, my muscles are so fatigued I can't run, so was doing cardio first, then weights. Hmmm, will definitely have to change things up.

@stephanielynne76 - we are the same height and I want to be where you are (your weight and size is a dream!). Did you use a personal trainer? I really, really want to start lifting more as I need to lose inches and create more definition. How / where does one begin?
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    I never realized how much I could sweat lifting weights!!!
    I love circuit training! =)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    I read somewhere on the internet cardio first if you are tryin to lose the weight and weights first if you are tryin to tone. I've always done weights first thou. Either way you are still burning fat, bc weights reshape the muscle and cardio burns the fat. But I'd stick with wieghts first you need lots more energy to focus on proper form for them.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    weights first, because tyo get the best out of your strength training workout it is best to have all the energy possible. Cardio can deplete your energy before even getting to strength training, which causes it to be not as effective and not as progressive.

i also 100% second the circuit training vote! Very effective! If I have time I will also put in a moderate to intense short cardio session afterwards, but again circuits all the way! :-D
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Depends on your goals. If your weight training is really intense and you are trying to gain muscle, you should do weights first.

If your goal is pure weight loss and your lifting is not intense and progressive then I don't think the order matters as much.
This discussion has been closed.