Hey Everyone Happy Friday!!

Options
Hello My Fitness Members,
I have been using this site to track calories and exercise for a couple months now but never got around to using the blogs and researching. I gained about 60 pounds when I broke my foot in a car accident 2 years ago. I grew up a "chunky" kick boxer but was never in extremely good shape...or health! I started at my current gym last August and I was at my heaviest weight of 258 lbs. Until recently, I was kind of a slacker at the gym. I have had a a personal trainer since August but I was traveling so much for work it was hard to stay committed, I also am a vegetarian, so carbs were my life!

On January 30th, I was down to 245 lbs.

On February 1st I started a 12 week fitness competition at my gym, the person with the biggest percentage of weight loss will win $10,000 and a free annual membership, I was like, where do I sign up!

Since February 1st I have lost 24 lbs, currently at 221, it has been about 6 weeks and I have weekly weigh ins that occur every Saturday. I have my personal trainer 3 times a week and I hit the gym on my own 4 times a week- NO Days off during the competition.

Honestly at first, it was all about winning the money, but I can truly say that after being 6 weeks in, I have never felt better. I have so much energy from my daily work outs and I can see my life changing before my eyes.

I love the gym, boxing and the intense workouts but there is something that I have to admit, I HATE running! I have tried and been unsuccessful. I am in the midst of doing the C25K for the treadmill but I need some pointers about breathing and how to stay on course. I do the program every time I hit the treadmill but I just get tired after running for a couple of minutes...PLEASE HELP! I am doing my first 5K on April 2nd and want to have running knowledge under my belt.

Well, enough about me! I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello! Feel free to friend me
Thanks,
Dana

Replies

• CrazyC8
    CrazyC8 Posts: 16
    Options
    Try running outside...I'm not the best runner (pretty slow and I shuffle)...running for me is mostly a mental thing, I get bored soooo easily. I used to run on a treadmill and then I started running outside. I find it a million times better. It seems easier for me both mentally and physically. I got on a treadmill about a month ago when it was crazy cold outside and I could barely make it five minutes (my mind just couldn't handle it and i was only thinking about the fact that I was running)...outside I can run about 4 miles before I have to walk.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    wow! talk about motivation, can i sign up for this challenge? lol.

glad u've realized u need to do this for you, regardless of the prize. you go girl!
  • danamfinn
    danamfinn Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks for the pointer! In the past, when I have seen runners outside I honestly looked at them like they were crazy, ...but one day I want someone to look out their window and think I am crazy!
  • danamfinn
    Options
    wow! talk about motivation, can i sign up for this challenge? lol.

glad u've realized u need to do this for you, regardless of the prize. you go girl!

Thanks you, very much appreciated!!!!
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to do something about your life. It's great that you have made the change in your life. I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your journey to a better you.
    feel free to friend me if you would like. I'm not a runner, but I do other things in place of it. Congrats again and welcome aboard.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I HATE running, but when I was in the military it was part of our fitness test. I found doing outside was better than on a Treadmill, but my "coach/section commander" suggested doing interval training to make it more interesting and give a little boost/ get you working.
    I would jog/run along the foot paths and every five streetlights go all out full speed for the length of two. Then slow again for the next three.
    I still dislike running, but it gave me a goal to work for and it was easier after time.

(Now I just need to kick my own butt to get back in the habit myself, Army days were too long ago.)
  • danamfinn
    Options
    I HATE running, but when I was in the military it was part of our fitness test. I found doing outside was better than on a Treadmill, but my "coach/section commander" suggested doing interval training to make it more interesting and give a little boost/ get you working.
    I would jog/run along the foot paths and every five streetlights go all out full speed for the length of two. Then slow again for the next three.
    I still dislike running, but it gave me a goal to work for and it was easier after time.

(Now I just need to kick my own butt to get back in the habit myself, Army days were too long ago.)

Thank you for your service. I am doing a 5K to honor fallen soldiers in my city on May 28th, it is definitely the one I am looking forward to the most (despite the running part) Thanks for the tips!