Should I buy running shoes?

Options
I've been thinking of taking up running (trying C25K probably) but I've never EVER been able to run... I get stitches in my sides and fatigued before I hit 2 minutes on the treadmill. Should I buy running shoes before trying C25K or just try it with my Asics that I think are just shoes for training? Don't wanna invest, especially if I still can't run, but everyone keeps saying that the shoes make a huge difference...

Replies

• bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    YES YEs go to a running store and get fitted>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    1000000000x the answer is yes...if you have a running store i STRONGLY recommend going and getting fitted for the proper shoes...you will not believe the difference it makes....
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    def buy running sneakers and check out this site about the stiches-- should help. http://running.about.com/od/runningforbeginners/f/sidestitch.htm
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would say you should definately invest in a good pair of shoes. You should get your gait analysed too. If you do you may find that you can run! Actually I don't think anybody CAN'T RUN. If you can walk you CAN RUN.
    Go for it. You will avoid injuries and you will know that you are well supported.
    Best of luck!

Enjoy.

x
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Best thing to get by far!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1) Anyone can run

2) Shoes really should be more about foot and leg comfort. They are VERY important, but for right now, I would say your asics are servicable.

3) It sounds like you are running too fast. Try slowing your speed down. Even better run outside and let your legs and lungs tell you a comfy pace rather than trying to force a "running" pace.

Just to give you some context, when I started running, I "ran" at a 4.0 pace (possibly slower). I don't care if its 2.0mph- you can absolutely run and learn to build your speed.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    YES!! ESPECIALLY if you have trouble running you should be doing it in good shoes. Good shoes made the difference between me loving and hating running. Worst case if you don't stick with it you'll have a nice pair of gym shoes.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've just started running and I just wear cross-trainers. I'd want to be more committed before I made such a financial investment in special shoes for it.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I generally wear running shoes (I'm on my feet most of the day chasing little ones) all the time (unless I'm going out or to church or something) and I've just found that they are the most comfortable to me. A good pair of shoes is priceless. I can tell right away if something is off with my shoes because my feet ache, my legs, hips, back and knees ache -- it's not pretty! It stinks to spend the $$, but I'd rather fork out the dough than be hurting.

The last shoe I bought was the Saucony top of the line. Love it. But I've been really happy with some of my Asics too. Usually I need a new pair every 6 mo. They seem to "break" or something and my legs start hurting. You have to go try on a bunch of them, though to see what works for you and your feet!
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    If you have had your Asics for a while I would suggest going to get a new pair of cheaper shoes before you invest in an expensive pair from a good running store. Then from there you can decide if you like running or not. The reason I say this is because if you have had your Asics for a while the padding is probably all worn down and not good for running. If you get a new pair of cheaper shoes they will have good padding and will feel much better than your current ones and you'll get a better feel for what running in a good supportive shoe feels like, and you're also not investing a ton of money into them.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The shoes do make a huge difference in your comfort and in protecting you from injury, but they won't help side stitches. Side stitches usually come from eating to close too a workout or from overdoing it (usually by going too fast).

Shoes are expensive, yes.

I think that if I were you, I would try doing the first week of C25K and then make a decision. If it seems as though you can stick with this program because you were pleasantly surprised by the first week, I'd buy shoes. You want to go to an actual running store and have them advise you of the best shoes for your foot type, gait and size. There's no point in just buying shoes on your own the first time as you'll most likely choose the wrong type.

Once you know what shoes you need, shop for them online and buy last season's colors, which will be 24%-40% cheaper. All the major shoe companies turn over their inventory twice a year, and the last season's color will go on sale. :smile:

I think it's easier to begin C25K outside, as you can instantly adjust your pace to make it through the intervals. Good shoes are even more important outdoors though, as there's more pounding and inclines to contend with.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I was like you a year ago. I have rowed, cycled, done martial arts and pilates, but running was never my thing. I started because a friend signed me up for a 10k (at 8 days notice), so I went from not having run in 14 years to doing a 10k in 8 days. Needless to say, I nearly died, but what I realised was that the first 5 minutes of running are the hard part. Once you hit about 2 km it becomes much easier, and having never run (I am big busted, narrow hipped and most definitely not built for it), I now love it. I love feeling my body working as it should. It takes about 6 weeks to really get the bug, but keep at it, and you will.
  • up2me2lose20
    Options
    Once you know what shoes you need, shope for them online and buy last season's colors, which will be 24%-40% cheaper. All the major shoe companies turn over their inventory twice a year, and the last season's color will go on sale. :smile:

YES! I always buy mine as last year's models and on clearance sales. But I do buy GOOD shoes that feel GOOD on my feet (not just because they are on sale. :)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's hard on the feet to get started running. So, anything you can do to make this tranisition easier / more comfortable, you should do it! I thought my $40 running shoes were fine until I got fitted for a pair of running shoes. Wow! It's a great feeling to not have to think about your feet while your running!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If you don't have proper running shoes, the chances are you will develop an injury and give up.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I just started C25k, and my first stop was the running store. They fitted me for what I needed, and I swear, I could keep them on foverer! They feel great, and wonder of wonders, they actually make me want to run.
    Like some of the other posters, I've been been a runner. I danced, I did marching band, I go to the gym (now) on a regular basis, but running never appealed to me. Now that I have my Asics (more $$ than I wanted to pay, but sooo worth it now that I know), I find myself anticipating the next day I get to run.

So go get fitted, and get some suggestions of which shoes would be good for you, then find them somewhere online for cheaper! The idea for last season's shoe is great!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There are some decent inexpensive running shoes out there that, if you decide running isn't for you, can be used for other types of exercise. Just buy a pair of shoes that fit you well and are comfortable. I went to a running store and got fitted, it didn't work at all, the shoes left blisters on my feet no matter what I did. I hated them and ended up using them for all purpose daily shoes and going back to my favorite Nike Shox for exercise.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    definitely!!

I can soooo tell the difference if i try and run in non running shoes, or even if i try and run in my old pair of running shoes that are past their best.

Ive just got some Kswiss tubes, and theyre amazing
  • up2me2lose20
    Options
    definitely!!

I can soooo tell the difference if i try and run in non running shoes, or even if i try and run in my old pair of running shoes that are past their best.

Ive just got some Kswiss tubes, and theyre amazing

I want to try the Kswiss tubes (yes, I'm a Jillian Junkie) and went to try them on in our local store and theydidn't have anything in my size. How do they run as far as size? They are cheaper online at the Kswiss website, but I'm afraid to buy without trying them on.
  • greatescape
    greatescape Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! Great info. I think I will try getting fitted this weekend!