I am not sure whether I should lose anymore weight...

Options
I am 19 years old, a boarding school boy, weighing at around 142 pounds with 173cm in height. Many people have up to me and say i look really thin and they all say I should gain weight..........what should i do??

Replies

• Franticantics
    Options
    Boarding school boy...aww, I used to be a boarding school girl!
    Just put on some muscle, you definitely don't need t lose weight. What country are you based in?
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You need to do what is good for you. If you are now on the thin side, try weight training to gain muscle. Feel good about yourself and not what others are telling you.
  • fudokung
    fudokung Posts: 31
    Options
    UK!!!

well ive been restricting my calorie intake to around 1800 calorie per day for around a month now and thats probably why ive been losing weight so should i eat more? mayb aim for 2000+ calorie? because I dont think i will eat enough protein with a 1800 calorie diet.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree, but don't let folks tell you that you are too thin. You sound just right weight wise. I would bulk up a little - some weight training would be good.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hello UK boy. I think you intuitively know what you need to do because it seems to me you found the solution to your own problem. I agree with you by the way, and think you should aim for 2000 calories, especially given your age, gender, hormones, and height.

For the record, 142 pounds for a teenaged five foot eight inch male is a wee bit on the low side.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    ooh interesting, i'm a brit too, and the boarding school world is a small world, and we're the same age :O

I would say perhaps raise your calorie limit, however dont fill it with rubbish. Really whack out the protein, perhaps invest in some protein shakes and just make up the calories with them, and supplement it by training hard in the gym, get on the weights ;)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Set your calories to maintenance levels, or slightly above, and concentrate on heavy weight training.
  • fudokung
    Options
    thanks for the help peeps...

On most days I go for a mile (or even 2 mile) run so is it really that important for me to count calories?? Because if I eat healthy and only snack on apples and grapes (which I have been doing) surely that wont make me fatter right?
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help peeps...

On most days I go for a mile (or even 2 mile) run so is it really that important for me to count calories?? Because if I eat healthy and only snack on apples and grapes (which I have been doing) surely that wont make me fatter right?
    No. I don't think you are at a point that's gonna make you fatter. In fact, you need those healthy snacks and all the vitamins! You're running! They're good for you!
  • fudokung
    Options
    so should i still continue to count calories?? or just concentrate on eating healthy and exercise?

If I should still count calories to maintain weight can you please recommend my calorie intake daily for me. lets assume I run a mile 5 days a week.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I'd say about 2000 is good. Also make sure to get some strength training in on top of your running if you want to see results