ankle pain

Options
So my first 5k is a week from today. Yesterday I ran the trail for the first time where the 5k is going to be. I started having ankle pain just as I was finishing my run. Today it is really painful. What should I be doing? I don't want to miss my first 5k :( The trail is packed dirt and shell.

Replies

• david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    See a doctor? At least rest it for a few days, but if you run on a painful ankle it's asking for trouble, might set you back a lot longer...
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i would maybe just walk for the next few days with rest days in between, put cold ice packs on ankle:smile:
  • BeHereNow
    BeHereNow Posts: 10
    Options
    I recently sprained my ankle badly and what helped the swelling was icing it and elevating it. Contrast baths (alernating for a minute each of hot bath water and cold water) and Icy hot helped the pain.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You can try tape. I used to tape my ankles when I ran cross country to give them more support. How many miles have you been logging? Do you have proper shoes for running? Also ice your ankles to help with the pain right now.

Not having the right shoes can cause instability and pain so if you haven't gone to a store to be fitted for shoes you should do so. They will help you find the shoes that will provide the right kind of support for your gait. You can try fleet feet if you have one, they are a little expensive but having good shoes is worth it. If you do get new shoes make sure you break them in before your race so that you don't have issues with them come race day.