TRYING to love cottage cheese..

Options
andreacord
andreacord Posts: 928
Hi All!

Well, I recently learned that cottage cheese is a fantastic protein filled calorie bargain, if you get it fat free it's 90 cals (I think.. don't hesistate to correct if i'm wrong) and 18 grams of protein per half cup. I mixed it with some chopped strawberries and a little bit of honey to try for breakfast and .. BLEH! i really do want to love it, because it would be a fantastic source of protein to incorperate into my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do with it? The help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You might like the 1% better as it is far lower in sodium.

There was an awesome smoothie recipe using cottage cheese that I saw recently. Let me go see if I can find it for you!

Found it! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/192775-strawberry-cheesecake-smoothie-w-photo-3-ww-points

I don't think you'll need as much sweetener as was in this recipe, so I'd add half the recommended sweetener and then taste it.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I love it plain btu sometimes I mix some flavored fat free yogurt into it.
  • Gelly_Bean
    Gelly_Bean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find it absolutely vile when it's plain, but in the UK you can buy it ready mixed with pineapple, which I love. If you want to try mixing it with pineapple yourself, I would recommend using the juice too so it's nice and sweet.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Try pineapple or peaches. Both are good. If you like something not sweet, chop a tomato and add pepper. I really like mine plain, but then I like plain greek yogurt too.
  • mikki3
    mikki3 Posts: 63
    Options
    I know what you mean. I can't stand the texture (blech!) I have whizzed 1/2 a cup in a blender with some fruit for a smoothie and also whizzed it in a blender with some garlic and herbs for a low cal/high protein pasta sauce.
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    I use to eat it everyday with sugar free maple syrup and grapes in it. I would get the Fat free kind and that was delicious!!
    ahomemadefamily.com
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I can't stand the texture (blech!) I have whizzed 1/2 a cup in a blender with some fruit for a smoothie and also whizzed it in a blender with some garlic and herbs for a low cal/high protein pasta sauce.

Your second option would make a great dip for veggies too!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy it plain... I usually eat it with some fruit on the side, mango or strawberry is great for me. I also usually try to eat it as an after dinner snack since it is a slow digesting protein.
  • sfcop311
    sfcop311 Posts: 21
    Options
    On a salad with fat free Italian dressing....
  • tglennon
    tglennon Posts: 1
    Options
    Try mixing in like dry ranch dressing dip mix. Not great for the sodium, but for a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, it's only roughly an addition 10-20 calories. Actually was my lunch today with the flax seed pita bread.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great...IDK about the honey..but the strawberries should be tasty with it...maybe try a granny smith apple...
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is a thick slice of home grown tomato covered in cottage cheese then heavily peppered.
    But of course that's out of season.

Try adding a lot of good ground pepper, some diced tomato, and maybe diced cucumber or sweet onion.
    Those add near zero calories. If you're adding honey and fruit you may as well eat yogurt.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I prefer the 1% to the fat free; it definitely tastes different. I'm also one of those people who can't stand it mixed with sweet things like fruit. Try having it with some some fresh chopped tomatoes or cucumbers. You may be a savory cottage cheese lover too. :happy:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I hate it too! I by it every couple of months when I need more protein and stomach it with some pineapple.

That is until I made my Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie!! Soooooooo good and you cannot taste the cc!

Go to my link for the recipe and my photo;

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/192775-strawberry-cheesecake-smoothie-w-photo-3-ww-points
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese...but, I do get the 1% kind, not the fat free. And if I am not wanting it to be sweet with like peaches or pineapple with it, I just mix it with some pepper. I guess I'm happy that I love cottage cheese....but, I think I'm the only person on the face of the earth that HATES hummus! LOL.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese but not sweet..:noway:

I usually buy the one with onion and chives, and will sit there just spooning it in my mouth!

If you're not keen on it sweet try it savoury, finelt chopped onion, cucumber, tomato all go well. Also try black pepper and/or cayenne pepper to liven it up if its too bland for you. Not sure what to suggest if its the texture that puts you off tho
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    yeah - I've never been a fan of cottage cheese and fruit.

when I did eat cottage cheese I always preferred it like a dip with vegetables like cucumber, red peppers, carrot sticks, broccoli and cauliflower. I often added freshly grated black pepper and sometimes added a pinch of spicy curry powder for zest and tang.

Have you considered using it as a spread on a lettuce wrap with julienne carrots and diced red bell peppers? Or what about a cottage cheese sandwich with tiny bits of sweet meat and sauted veggies? Perhaps you could mix it with a little fat-free zesty italian dressing and use it as a thick salad dressing on a salad.

I think it all depends on your taste buds. For example, if you naturally prefer sweet, then maybe you need to find a way to sweeten it up with more than just fruit - a little Stevia powder perhaps?

Just some things to get you started in your thinking.
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My favorite recipe which is very easy to make

In equal amounts Mix applesauce and cottage cheese-I use fat free
    Put on a teaspoon of cinnamon
    Plus some raisons, mix it all together

It doesnt look yummy but it takes great. Even when Im not trying to get in shape I crave it

I dont like cottage cheese and fruit, but its not too bad mixed with yogurt
  • BeHereNow
    BeHereNow Posts: 10
    Options
    I can't eat cottage cheese. I've had to add protein mix to my diet. I love J Robb's Chocolate Whey Protein with Light Cranberry Juice. The protein has 25 g of protein and 110 calories. The juice adds about 45 calories for 6 oz, but I like it blended with about four ice cubes and the protein.
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can put it in a food processor with a bit of flavoring. For instance dry onion soup mix. Then use celery to dip into the mixture. I like this. I also like peaches with HEAVY syrup. I measure 100 calories worth of peaches and syrup and then use 90 calories of cottege chs. It feels like a treat because of the heavy syrup. Just a couple of ideas. If you don't like it -don't eat it. There are other good foods. I like nonfat plain yogart mixed with ice and pinnapple in non sweeten syrup. I like the drink, it is tart and sweet. Good luck.