Oh man. Calling all helpers!

MrsBehaving
MrsBehaving Posts: 100 Member
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
I was being so good, and faithful, and diligent. I am losing steam. I have so much to keep on, keeping on but I usually give up when I don't see progress. This time, though, I gave up my scale for Lent so I can't check my weight and I am not seeing the progress with my own two eyes. What do I do?

Replies

• idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Measurements. If not using a scale take your measurements. It will help you see that you are still losing when you can't see the pounds changing.
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Think of how good you are going to feel on the day you finally DO use your scale and can see a DIFFERENCE. Get back on track, you have several more weeks to make a difference in yourself. JUST DO IT!

Think about how crappy you'd feel if you get scale after all these weeks and see no change or added pounds! Use this to your advantage - there was obviously one day that you thought giving up your scale was going to be a good thing - so make it a good thing for yourself!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    think about how you feel instead...and take comfort in knowing that your good choices will give you the outcome you want once you get back on the scale after lent is over.
  • You can take measurements and progress pics.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Don't give up! Like others have said, think about how you feel better, take pictures and measurements. You can do this!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    You are trying to be healthy. The scale is irrelevant. Focus on health and longevity and you will be just fine.
  • jeffwar
    jeffwar Posts: 7
    Make sure you keep your calories up around where they should be, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode which slows your metabolism and makes losing weight more difficult. on the upside , as long as you are not gaining weight it is all worth it. Keep it up, you will see results.
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    If you gave up something for lent, you're probably of a religious turn. Use this to your advantage. When ever you're feeling down about no progress, and you really just want to weigh yourself to see how your doing, sit down and say a prayer, and give those feelings of Inadequacy or Fear of Failure over to God. I certainly couldn't hurt to try, right?
  • melusinagr
    melusinagr Posts: 205 Member
    Have faith! It is hard for us to see the changes in ourselves - but you know if you keep on going, you *will* see changes eventually. I think a lot of us can relate to what you are going through - and we are all here to keep each other on track!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I gave up the scale too and it is tough to keep going without that feedback! What I am trying to do is focus on meeting other goals of mine that I know can only help in weight loss (exercising... at least whenever I can do that again... drinking enough water, eating enough fruits & veggies, etc.).
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I dont know you well, but here is my take on your situation.

We spent so much time being owned by the scale. We measure our self worth by the scale. REALLY?
    The choices that you make are for YOU not for that number of the scale right? Would you stop exercising if you didnt have to?
    Can you find something (perhaps a fitness goal) that you can focus on right now and measure your progress by that?

I gave up the scale for Lent too... I am focusing on making sure to get my workouts in (I started P90X) and I have been focusing on trying to set PRs for the 5mile and 10K distance (which I finally did tonight) .....

Perhaps my husband said it best once when I was having a moment of weakness....
    If you do all of this and you get on the scale and it shows a loss you will ease up on yourself....
    but if it shows a gain or less of a loss then you would like... what will you do (I replied workout more) and he just laughed... if you are giving your best, there isnt a more...

Just some words for thought!
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Have faith! It is hard for us to see the changes in ourselves - but you know if you keep on going, you *will* see changes eventually. I think a lot of us can relate to what you are going through - and we are all here to keep each other on track!

Exactly what I was gonna say
This discussion has been closed.