Enchiladas

Options
nicolemarie045
nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
Does anyone have a good enchilada recipe? I have seen some with the new Kraft cooking creme, but I feel like the sodium and fat gets a little high with that. Thanks :)

Replies

• JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    Wish I could help - I'm interested to see what others will post for you though! I'm a mexican food nut and sadly, I'm just super at cooking it all the super fattening and yummy way. lol. So any of my recipes would put you over everything for like three days. lol.
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    Here's what we do...

1. Boil a pound of chicken breast. Yes, boil.
    2. Drain and allow to cool
    3. Hand-shred, season at will (I use chicken fajita seasoning)
    4. Wrap up in flour, corn or wheat tortillas and place side by side in a cake dish. (corn are fantastic but usually not big enough)
    5. What we do now is mix a bit (like a tbsp or so) of reduced-fat cream cheese with one can of La Victoria Enchilada sauce in a saucepan. Since you control the cream cheese you can make it as creamy (or not creamy) as you like. You can also add stuff to the sauce here like thicker cut veggies, since Enchilada sauce is usually very smooth.
    6. Pour over the enchiladas, sprinkle some cheese over the top and bake at 350 until the dry parts of your tortillas get crunchy.
    7. Serve with fat-free vegetarian refrieds and gnosh away.

Strangely, the calories spike in this recipe from the tortillas more than anything. Every other part of it is very low calorie.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    I seriously just use ground turkey some veggies, black beans and seasonings, wrapped in corn tortillas covered in Green enchilada sauce and a low fat cheese.

No cream or anything... just basic. The veggies and spices add flavor and i use saltless spices so there is only extra sodium in the sauce.
    Or you can make your own sauce by boiling and food processing tomatillos and other yummy stuff.....

Lots of options :-D YUM!
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    bump
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!!
  • budgirl9
    budgirl9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe:
    Fry 4-5 skinless chicken breasts using 0 calorie pan spray, then shred. Mix 1 can green or red enchilada sauce with 1 can campbells 98% fat free cream of chicken soup. Add about 1/2 cup to the chicken and stir. Roll up in small whole wheat flour tortillas, ( I use Mission...80 cal. ea.) Place in sprayed baking dish, top with remaining sauce, lightly sprinkle low-fat cheese on top, cover with foil and bake at 350 for 20 min. Remove foil and bake for maybe 10 more minutes. Add chopped green onions and tomatoes on top before serving.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon salsa)

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    1 1/4 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup beer
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
    2 (4.5-ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
    5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 cups 1% low-fat milk
    2 large egg whites, lightly beaten or 6 tablespoons egg substitute
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut in half
    1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
    1/2 cup salsa
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from skillet; let cool. Shred chicken with 2 forks; set aside.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add shredded chicken, beer, red pepper, and tomatoes; cook 10 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 tablespoon green onions and 1 tablespoon olives for garnish. Stir remaining green onions, remaining olives, and chiles into chicken mixture; set aside.

Combine flour, salt, cumin, and coriander in a medium saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg whites, stirring constantly with whisk. Set aside.

Place cheeses in a bowl; toss well. Set aside.

Spread 1/2 cup white sauce in bottom of a 2 1/2-quart round casserole or soufflé dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 tortilla halves over sauce; top with 2 cups chicken mixture, 1/2 cup white sauce, and 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Repeat layers twice, ending with sauce. Set remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture aside.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese mixture, reserved green onions, and reserved olives; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with sour cream and salsa.

NOTE: You can assemble the casserole ahead of time; cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight, then bake at 350º for 1 hours or until bubbly. Or freeze casserole, thaw in refrigerator 24 hours, then bake for 1 hour or until thoroughly heated.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    309 (28% from fat)
    Fat:
    9.7g (sat 5.1g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:
    28.7g
    Carbohydrate:
    26.6g
    Fiber:
    2.6g
    Cholesterol:
    63mg
    Iron:
    2.1mg
    Sodium:
    753mg
    Calcium:
    324mg
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have used www.skinnytaste.com recipe for Chicken Enchiladas, and they are OUT OF THIS WORLD! Mainly because you make the enchilada sauce yourself, instead of using the canned stuff. It's not that hard at all, and I'm telling you, once you make the sauce in this recipe, you will NEVER BUY CANNED AGAIN!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-enchiladas.html

I use regular, traditional tortillas in place of the whole wheat because I usually love whole wheat grains (bread, pasta, rice, etc.), but I can't stand whole wheat tortillas! I also add extra cayenne to the enchilada sauce, because I like my enchiladas to be spicy enough to get my nose running a little! :bigsmile:
    The sodium's not low on this...if it was, the flavor would be very bland. I have started using "no salt added" tomato sauce in the recipe, and that helps cut down on the sodium. So it's a reasonable recipe, sodium-wise but by no means "low sodium"...I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a tasty mexican recipe that is still somewhat authentic and flavorful that is also low sodium.