90x for a beginner...

Options
Hey guys,
Let me preface this with a simple fact:
I AM THE FACE OF SKINNY FAT.
I'm not overweight, but I have no tone to me whatsoever.

My friend has a copy of P90x that he's willing to give to me,
I was wondering something similar:

Am I going to completely die because the workouts are too difficult?
How do you find a way to power through them?

I've been seeing results pictures and I really don't want to be all that muscular, just toned and tiny with a bit of strength.
Does that make things easier for me?

Any insight altogether would be fabulous, thank you!

Replies

• Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can go at your own pace in P90X so just take it slow the first week and focus on correct form if you aren't used to some things being done. From there just find the pace you are comfortable at but still working hard enough.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    P90X is hard no doubt about it. But it's nothing you can't handle. When I first started, I couldn't even finish half of CardioX. Now I kill it. It's actually too easy! So just keep going and do what you can do! As they say, do your best and forget the rest! Plus you can modify if you need to. They show you how on each workout.

I find my way to power through it because I know what I want to accomplish. And I won't let a little pain stop me! Plus I have a few friends who also do it. So we push each other. Feel free to add me if you want. I will help you in any way I can

I can't really comment on the muscular thing. I am trying to bulk up. My advice would be use a lighter weight. Something you can do 12-15 reps with. This will help tone your body. Of course you will still build muscle. But not so much were you can bench a car ;)

P90X is a great program. I am almost done with round 1 and my energy is through the roof compared to what I was before starting! So much so I am going to buy Insanity and do both programs.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    P90X comes with a pretest to discover whether you are ready for P90X. I think you'll be okay. I think you should push yourself as much as you can and do the heavier weights. Should you find before you finish that you get to the strength level you desire, stay at the same weight or slightly lighter and increase reps to finish toning and increase your endurance. If you go straight in just trying to tone ( light weights and tons of reps) you won't get the same results you desire.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The workouts are a bit intense at the beginning but I've seen an incredible amount of improvement in my stamina, ability to keep with the video, and lifting weights.
    I get through the workouts by reminding myself that I'm never going to look the way I want unless I push myself. I've got a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if I'm not working at my max I'll pick up the pace or heavy up my weights. Also, I've been watching "The Biggest Looser" and "Heavy". I figure if people who are that heavy can exercise I can do it too!
    There are three phases on the program, and from what you said I'd go with the lean program. Good luck!
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    P90X has 3 different schedules you can follow: Classic, Lean, and Doubles. Classic is targeted at building size and strength (if you choose weights that you can do 8-10 reps with) or toning (if you pick weights that you can do 12-15 reps with), Lean is more geared toward fat loss and general toning, with a lot more cardio and core routines than classic, while doubles is classic plus an extra cardio routine on 3 of your 6 days.

If you're concerned about bulking, you could always do the Lean routine, I've heard of quite a few people getting very good results w/ Lean.

When I did my first round of P90X last year, it kicked my *kitten* for the first 3 weeks, and never did get to be EASY, but was definitely doable. As has been said before, Tony shows you how to modify for lower intensity in each exercise, and constantly reminds you not to worry about keeping up with the people in the videos, just "keep pushing play" and "do your best & forget the rest" - Take the fitness test, and if you can handle everything in there give it a try. (don't worry about the pullup requirement since plenty of people go into it not being able to do even one pullup though)

What have you got to lose?
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    dont worry about the muscularity, you need to fuel those muscles with increased calories and protein to develop them. Therefore, if you aren't adding the extra 100g - 150g of protein, you shouldnt have too much to worry about it.

As for difficulty, don't be scared to fail before you even start...... give it a shot, and fail..... i have never met anyone that came close to getting through P90 their first time

good luck, and have some fun
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You're going to do great. If you can't finish a workout, who cares? Note how far you got and aim to go farther next time!

It is a hard program, but it's possible to finish. Seriously, just do your best. If you need to take breaks, take 'em! Don't forget to eat well. We're all behind you!
  • parkygirl
    parkygirl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and it's pretty awesome at toning. My husband described it as P90x for beginners just last night.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You're going to do great. If you can't finish a workout, who cares? Note how far you got and aim to go farther next time!

It is a hard program, but it's possible to finish. Seriously, just do your best. If you need to take breaks, take 'em! Don't forget to eat well. We're all behind you!

Exactly! Any workout is better then nothing. People get worried about nothing being able to do P90X. They seem to not think about that fact that even their best effort is better then doing nothing at all.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i have never met anyone that came close to getting through P90 their first time
    I break a sweat just watcing the infomercials! :bigsmile: