Ran my first 10k, and got a treat!

Options
Wakx
Wakx Posts: 105 Member
I used to be a heavy smoker, so I am very proud to have run my first first 10 kilometers within an hour today. It took me 10 months before I was ready. During that time I lost 10kgs so basically, I reached my goal!!

Now, my body had this cool treat for me, to reward me. I do no think many people know about it and even less have experienced it. It's called a Runners' High. It's when your brain releases a bunch of endorphins after extended exercise, mostly running. Ahhh, that's NICE! I can tell, because cigarettes trigger the release of similar chemicals.

After 50 minutes this RUSH comes up. Suddenly, there's no more pain, only that RUSH. I was running at 10k/hr up to then, but I jacked the speed up to 13 kilometers/hour, with no problem, no pain, no shortage of breath even after almost an hour. It lasted only a minute or two, but wohoooww, it's such a cool experience.

Replies

• jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Nothing to say but nice and welcome to the club
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, well done!
    I completed C25K a week ago and have kept up the running, trying to actually get to 5k (I was going with time, not distance, and always fell short of a full 5k run). I finally got my 5k run in (with two short recovery walks due to harsh hills) and I feel great. Can't WAIT to get to your stage with a 10k run.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    thats brilliant and well done:smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 10K!!!! I'm working up to mine and can't wait to get that "high"!!!!! Good for you for giving up the smoking and for reaching your goal.. very inspirational!
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    cannot wait to experience that high..im at 6.5 km longest run, but looking forward to the 10km. Well done on giving up smoking too !
  • Peacebone
    Peacebone Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heeey nice one!

Hope to be replying to threads like this with "yeah man, me too!" in a few months.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Yep, awesome feeling!! Good job on the run and excellent on quitting smoking. I quit over 11 years ago now and don't miss them in the least. Kudos to you and keep running!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on both achievements! :flowerforyou:

There's nothing like a run when you're in that zone!:bigsmile: