Stuck

Options
I started running 25 to 30 miles a week and lifting weights total body 3 days a week and I have only lost 10 lbs. since Jan. 1, 2011. I never have tracked calories but I ate very healthy, low carbs, no alcohol. Just this week I started tracking calories on this site and yesterday I had 700 or so calories still to eat at the end of the day. I think that is ridiculous.....there is no way I could eat as many calories as they say I am suppose to. I am 54 years old and the weight is not coming off like it use to. Yesterday I burned 900 or so calories on running alone and don't know how many I burned lifting weights. I am not hungry, so therefore I feel I am getting enough calories. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have 20 more lbs. to lose before my vacation on May 20th........Thanks

Replies

• shariann3
    shariann3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would suggest "Body for Life for Women", she discusses the effect of aging/menopause on women and it may provide some helpful insight. You are doing amazing, don't stop! You're doing your body good no matter what the scale says.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    I know you wanted advice and I don't have any, but I do want to commend you on your loss so far and the work you are putting in. I struggle to jog 5 mph for 10 min per day so that really inspires me that someone that is 20 years older than me is in better shape, better health and I want to be like that! As each year of my life goes by I have wasted it by people running by me and you really inspired me this morning to really keep pushing. Thank you! Good luck with your journey
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Just make sure you are not consuming less that 1200 cals a day, if you you are eating less than that your body will go into starvation mode. Also if you consume more lean protein and fiber you will naturally consume more cals, that doesn't mean you have to eat more food. (think quality not quantity)
    Keep up the great work.
  • phoppock
    phoppock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Being stuck is hard to deal with. There are so many different reasons we get stuck. I would seriously consider looking into eating more calories. The fact is, our bodies need fuel in order to lose weight. If our calories are too low, then our bodies go into starvation mode and we stop losing weight for a while, and I think it can negatively impact our muscles too. do some research and see what you find.

Also, change what you do in terms of activity. Our bodies remember our patterns. Changing what we do physically allows our bodies to use different muscles.

I also agree with the other poster who says look into how our bodies change as we age.

It sounds like you are doing wonderful things for yourself. I applaud you and encourage you to continue on your healthy journey.
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    with the intensity of training and few cals...i would ask where is your body getting its energy from?...probably not fat stores. higher bpm during workouts may burn some muscle because your metabolism is in neutral and holding on to your fat stores. i would reconsider your program with a little research to get your system in balance to rev up your metabolism.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in 13 weeks is nothing to scoff at! That's a good, steady loss. :flowerforyou:

The weight does not come off overnight. And if it did, you'd be losing a great deal of muscle.

How are you calculating the calories burned? Are you using MFP or a heart rate monitor?

If you opened up your diary, it would be easier to give you some advice.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Thank you for your compliment....I just enjoy runnning....I think you need to find something you enjoy doing in order to stay with it....good luck to you also........
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    I am consuming around 1400 calories a day
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    I just opened up my diary for all to see...maybe some more needed advice from you all.....thanks
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I just opened up my diary for all to see...maybe some more needed advice from you all.....thanks

Um, still can't see it. Maybe you opened it to "Friends Only"?

Here's how to make it Public:

Go to MY HOME.

Click on Settings

Then Diary Settings

Scroll down until you see Change Diary Sharing

Then select Public.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Ok, NOW I think I have it.......I opened my diary to public...thanks for any advice
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating but you have done fantastic so far!
    Did you take your measuurements before you started? You could see if your inches aremoving if the scale is not.
    Also, maybe stay away from a goal weight, give yourself a goal size instead, want to be happy with how you look not what you weigh. You may find it easier to ignor the scale for a while.
    Also, your diet looks pretty good to me, there isn't much to look at because you've not been tracking very long, I can see why you're struggling to eat your exercise calories, as you are burning a lot. Did you do much exercise before you started trying to lose weight? Going from nothing to what you are doing now is one hell of a change!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I only see two days there, but you are not eating enough.

On the day with the 964 calories from exercise, I'm guessing this was a running day? To be at 964 that would have to be about 9 or 10 miles. It's roughly 100 calories per mile, no matter how fast you go.

When I was running as much as you are ( I weighed about 135) I was needing to eat around 2000 calories on an average running day. And this wasn't 20 years ago--I was 40. And that was to try to KEEP from losing weight!

So I'd say you really need to up some calories. When you overwork yourself as much as you are, your body is going to fight you with losing any weight. And you're going to lose muscle, which you really can't afford if you want to keep running.

And you need a LOT more protein. As a runner (and a fairly substantial one at that in terms of mileage) you should be getting at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight per day.

It's hard to tell much from 2 days of logging, but at least there are a few ideas for you to kick around.
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Ok, I will try and eat more...hard to fit it in........I just started this site and just started tracking my calories....never have done that before..but since Jan. 1, have been eating around 1200 to 1500 a day..........today I feel wiped out....yesterday was my long run and strength training day and I felt great..........going for a run outside today and then taking tomorrow off..........I want to lose 20 more lbs. by vacation time in May....so afraid to eat more...but I will as what I am doing is not working.........thanks for your help and please keep checking my diary and offering advice...........
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you are working out that hard and not refueling your body with enough calories you are going to get stuck. It seems like such a contradiction, eat more to lose weight...but sometimes, that is what has to happen. You might try to add some sort of protein shakes to your after workout routing (if you don't already) and see if that will help. The protein is good for your body and the extra calories may help you get over this hump!

Good luck, congrats on your success so far and great job on all the running! :drinker:
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    Thanks, I do not drink protein shakes now......I tried one awhile ago and hated it........I like whole natural sources of energy......no processed food if I can help it....I am going to double my amount of tuna and cottage cheese per day......that should help........hopefully...thank for your encouragement
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Thanks, I do not drink protein shakes now......I tried one awhile ago and hated it........I like whole natural sources of energy......no processed food if I can help it....I am going to double my amount of tuna and cottage cheese per day......that should help........hopefully...thank for your encouragement

I'd at least eat more on the long run day, as it really affects your recovery (even if you weren't trying to lose weight). I understand it's hard to get all those calories in--when I upped my mileage to 25/wk when training for my first half marathon, I didn't even realize I was losing weight. Other people told me and then my clothes were too big. And eventually, my running was suffering as well. I had to really think hard at the end of the day and get a snack in late sometimes.

I wouldn't strength train on your long rum day--that IS strength training as well as cardio! I'd do it the day after if you can work it into the schedule.

I just started with protein powder recently because I'm having a hard time eating all my calories at the moment. Drinking some of them is easier for me.

But here's a good protein shake that uses cottage cheese in place of protein powder that you could try (I don't see how you could need 6 sweetener packets though, so I'd try 3 and then taste): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/192775-strawberry-cheesecake-smoothie-w-photo-3-ww-points

You're doing great if you're running 9 miles on your long run day!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    you could try adding morning and afternoon snacks to your day, I find thats the easiest way for me to get more calories. Almond or other nut butters with a piece of fruit work for me, or greek yoghurt.:smile:
  • pmorrison101
    Options
    My long runs are usually 7-8 miles..........usually 4 or 5 miles outside and then later 3 or so on the treadmill at a 10 min. pace.....I have never done 9 miles.........sometimes I walk / run...sprints........I don't have any kind of device that tracks my pace outside.....I just know how many miles I do and how long I am gone....but on the treadmill I can gauge my workout better.

I love that smoothie...........will definately be making alot of that...thanks........I agree I need more fuel....today was a struggle..........I am going to do my longer runs like you said on the days I don't lift weights........thanks for all your advice

I am like you .......I run 6 or so days a week for about 9 mths...and then take 3 mths off and wonder why I put on 30 lbs eating and drinking like a fool....lol..............sometimes you just need a break............but now with vacation coming I feel like it's crunch time....lol