5 Tips For A Great Workout!

Options
Tip #1 – Maintain a vigorous pace. Keep moving from exercise to exercise. One trick is to bring a pair of dumbbells next to a treadmill. Run for 60 seconds on the treadmill then jump off and do a dumbbell exercise, then get back on the treadmill. Keep alternating throughout the workout.

Tip #2 - Plan your workouts ahead of time. Don’t waste time and let your heart rate go down trying to think of what to do next. Spending a little time planning your workouts will save you a lot of time and yield better results in the long run.

Tip #3 - Pick exercises that do not require a lot of time to set up. It’s all about pace and saving time. Exercises that take more than a few seconds to set up let your heart rate go down and can add a lot of extra time to your workout.

Tip #4 - Keep your routine flexible. If a piece of equipment that you need to use is occupied, don’t wait or ask to work in. Just move on to the next exercise and come back later. Keep the pace going and the fat melting.

Tip #5 - Focus on multi-joint movements. These exercises will burn more calories and increase the fat burning process. Stick with free weights with a minimum amount of machines mixed in. Free weights use more muscle and are much more effective at burning calories.

Replies

• missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    awesome advice, I'm really digging number one with the treadmill and lifting in between. Thanks for the awesome tips!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    great advice thanks =)
  • AmandaHammill
    AmandaHammill Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    totally agree, great tips! especially as i just finished a great cardio workout followed by tai-chi. Treadmill is usually 3 to 4 times a week. Had my dumbbells sitting on the top of it as i was doing fast walks with them during the time on the t.m...like the idea of jumping off and doing the strength...much more focused! (and one of my dumbbells..only 5 lbs thanks goodness...bounced from the top right onto the t.m last week...missed my foot which was good because i don't run in shoes, but silly place to put them!)
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    you don't run in shoes ? Wow.. that's not good.. you need shoes to support your joints etc.. even bad quality shoes are going to give you pain in the long run, but - no shoes at all ? .. can't even imagine doing that..

Like the advices - and have thought about it in the past few days.. i would be on the treadmill and than going to the floor to work out not knowing " what's next " have days where the exercises just keep " poping up " in my head .. but had days where i would be just standing and thinking .. hmmm.. what now ?
    so now while on the treadmil or eliptical- i try to think of a routine that i will do on the floor.. it saves time and keeps HR up..

thanks for the tips
  • AmandaHammill
    Options
    you don't run in shoes ? Wow.. that's not good.. you need shoes to support your joints etc.. even bad quality shoes are going to give you pain in the long run, but - no shoes at all ? .. can't even imagine doing that..

Like the advices - and have thought about it in the past few days.. i would be on the treadmill and than going to the floor to work out not knowing " what's next " have days where the exercises just keep " poping up " in my head .. but had days where i would be just standing and thinking .. hmmm.. what now ?
    so now while on the treadmil or eliptical- i try to think of a routine that i will do on the floor.. it saves time and keeps HR up..

thanks for the tips
  • AmandaHammill
    Options
    opps meant to include that above quote in my reply. i seriously am a barefooter. always have been - i think many years of gymnastics when i was younger is part of the reason for my shoeless comfort but i find my joints are much worse when doing treadmill running if i wear foot gear. that said, i do have a great pair of really light trainers for outdoor running - i just don't do that yet.
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    Thanks Ladies!