Does it work to do extra calorie burning if you're over your

Options
Hey guys :)

I've been on this site for about 8 weeks but only just am venturing into the forums - and I'm so happy to see everyone is so motivating and supportive :)

Just a quick question - if I am over my calorie limit for the day, does it work to go and work it off as soon as I log my foods and work it out? I have an exercise bike at home, and if I look like I'm over my limit I go and exercise on the bike to make sure I'm back in the green again. Does this work? Am I right in thinking it?

I welcome your thoughts :)

xx

Replies

• isaiahxoxoender
    Options
    Not really sure. I do that sometimes but not sure if it helps or not. I would think so?
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    If you are only going over a little every once in a while, I wouldn't kill myself over it. Variation is your caloric intake is not a bad thing. :)
  • cjfoster
    cjfoster Posts: 36
    Options
    :smile: Not sure that really helps...I try to stay at or below my intake..If i know there is something I r3eally want to eat--I plug it in to see if its really worth it..Usually I find that it"s not worth it and look to something more healthy and still keep within my goal,,The result has been weight loss! hope this helps
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I would. I exercise extra if I know I am going to indulge, same thing.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Yep sure does. You add calories by eating and burn calories by exercising. Doesn't matter the order it occurs and there really isn't anything magic about a 24 hour period except it makes for a natural unit of measure.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Yes you can burn the calories :)
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would say that every bit of exercise helps regardless of what your caloric intake is, but certainly the closer you stay to your caloric goal the better. Remember muscle weighs more than fat so whenever someone begins a workout routine the scale may show an increase in pounds at first.
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    Thanks very much for your replies everyone :) I'm hoping it does work - I've lost 13lbs in about 8 weeks so it must be working, right? It just sounds to me like cheating a bit lol.
  • Elfkindelasmoo
    Options
    That works, because it's an equation. Calories in should be less than Calories out (Calories out=your daily body function depending on weight and normal activity+your exercise). This is why if you're very active you can consume more calories and still lose or maintain.
    However, for weight loss I've found that controlling diet is most important b/c you should be re-training yourself how to eat. And, the last thing you want to do is tell yourself you'll burn off the extra calories later and never do it.
    Good luck!
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I'm never over by heaps, just 100 or 200 calories tops - and I always exercise to make sure I am back under my limit (including eating my exercise calories). This doesnt happen very often, most of the time I'm below my limit anyway, I'm just curious as to whether this method works is all :)
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay within your goal calorie intake before any cardio exercise is put in. You want to keep a caloric deficit in your diet to lose weight. All your cardio is like "bonus" calorie burn. You still lose weight if you consume less calories than what your daily caloric burn is through normal day-today activities, but you want that deficit to be as much as possible without going under 1200 calories consumed. Varying your intake is beneficial so that your body doesn't adapt to a set amount, but definitely try to keep in range of your goal calorie intake. One thing I do because of the way it subtracts cardio calories from your net, is wait till the end of the day to add my cardio. This way I stay on track with my goal calories, and can really see at the end of the day how the "bonus" calories benefit. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, shoot me a message.
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    I would try to stay within your goal calorie intake before any cardio exercise is put in. You want to keep a caloric deficit in your diet to lose weight. All your cardio is like "bonus" calorie burn. You still lose weight if you consume less calories than what your daily caloric burn is through normal day-today activities, but you want that deficit to be as much as possible without going under 1200 calories consumed. Varying your intake is beneficial so that your body doesn't adapt to a set amount, but definitely try to keep in range of your goal calorie intake. One thing I do because of the way it subtracts cardio calories from your net, is wait till the end of the day to add my cardio. This way I stay on track with my goal calories, and can really see at the end of the day how the "bonus" calories benefit. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, shoot me a message.

See this is where I get confused lol. :P Take today for example. My net calories consumed after cardio was 1400 so I did some more cardio to bring that back down to 1200 net calories intake. Am I doing the right thing?
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Think of it as a bucket of water that you want to keep at a certain level. Eating puts water in and exercise takes water out. If you exercise before you eat, the water level drops and then rises. If you eat before you exercise, the water level rises and then drops. Either way, you wind up at the level you want (assuming you don't put in more than you take out).
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    Think of it as a bucket of water that you want to keep at a certain level. Eating puts water in and exercise takes water out. If you exercise before you eat, the water level drops and then rises. If you eat before you exercise, the water level rises and then drops. Either way, you wind up at the level you want (assuming you don't put in more than you take out).

So that being said, I'm on the right track. :) Thats a really good way of putting it for my tired little brain lol. Thankyou :)
  • Alphastate
    Options
    I highly recommend staying at your goal number. Eating more and then burning it off is kind of cheating. If you stay at your goal number and do the same extra cardio, you will see results faster.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doing it right. Let the success you have already made be your guide. Like someone else already said, it's all about calories consumed vs calories burned.
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    lol I think its funny how people all have a different view on this stuff. Seems theres no straight answer :S
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    it sure does work!
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Let the success you have already made be your guide.

Best advice ever!
  • Alphastate
    Options
    There are a lot of different opinions, but I've been personal training for a long time and the hardest thing to get straight is peoples diet. Think of it like this, if you eat 2000 calories one day, but burn 2500 calories with cardio and daily activity, then the next day eat 1200 calories and burn 1800 calories in only daily activity, which sounds better? Controlling your diet is the best option. I'm not saying that on occasion you can't do the extra if you go over, but consistency, or at least relative consistency is key to management of weight loss in the long run.