Going to camp! What to eat!?

Options
im leaving for camp next monday and pretty much all they serve is high carb/calories/fat meals. You know french toast,pancakes,sugary cereal, enchilladas, spaghetti. occasionally they'll have salad or eggs which i take advantage of. and i eat the vegetable they serve with lunch and dinner. what are some non perishable items i could bring with me? so far i've thought of protein bars, almonds, and low fat jerky. any ideas?

Replies

• sunshine92
    sunshine92 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    im leaving for camp next monday and pretty much all they serve is high carb/calories/fat meals. You know french toast,pancakes,sugary cereal, enchilladas, spaghetti. occasionally they'll have salad or eggs which i take advantage of. and i eat the vegetable they serve with lunch and dinner. what are some non perishable items i could bring with me? so far i've thought of protein bars, almonds, and low fat jerky. any ideas?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Starkist Tuna Packs...they come with tuna, mayo, relish, and crackers. Perfect for a lunch and between 100 and 200 calories (I don't remember exactly).

Take a loaf of bread and reduced-fat PB.

Pretzels are good and if you watch the serving, are not bad calorie wise.

These are just a few I could think of right now.
  • kristineh86
    kristineh86 Posts: 134
    Options
    PORTION CONTROL! Haha. No, but really. You are going to camp, you will be burning a lot of calories in the day, I am sure. Don't worry so much about what you are eating, because really you don't have much of a choice. Just focus on eating the healthiest food provided to you and eat withing portion. Don't eat when you are full, etc. GOOD LUCK!
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We're getting ready to go camping for a few days with not a lot of options for healthy food. I bought some "snack size" plastic baggies and filled them with single servings of walnuts & dried cranberries, pistachios, & dried mango. I also packed FiberOne bars. On each of the baggies I wrote the calories and fat so I can have an idea of what I'm eating during the day. It won't substitute for meals but at least we can keep ourselves filled with good snacks so we'll eat less at our main meals.

Do lots of hiking and enjoy yourself!!!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are a great idea! I would also bring 100 cal packs too...
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I'm so useless...Umm...eat the same things you normally would but only mind your servings! You can eat a hot dog and bun, but stay clear from the chips, the fattening mayo, and the cookies. Or have a cookie, but only one or two. Drink tons of water, drink tons of water, treat yourself to a diet drink, bring some fresh fruits.

I'm a smore freak, so if that is on the menu, have one whole graham cracker, but only one. Have only one marshmallow, and a 1/4 of a piece of chocolate on top. YUM!

Do lots of walking, and playing and you should be fine!