Eating right when you are sick.

Options
I have a really bad cold, sore throat, and headache. I don't feel like eating what I have been eating on this journey. I just want ice cream, juice, and crap like that. I need some ideas for yummy, good for you foods that you eat when you are not feeling well. HELP!!!

Replies

• Nomnomnivore
    Options
    Do you have any applesauce? That curbs my cravings for sweet comfort food when I am sick, without being ridiculous in calories.
  • jlopez87
    jlopez87 Posts: 22
    Options
    I had the flu about 3 weeks ago and it got me so off track! I didn't want to eat ANYTHING (which is a change from what I normally want to eat)...

Usually when I'm sick I feel like you. Its not the cravings that I have, but its the convenience and "comfort" of certain foods. When I'm sick the last thing I want to do is stand in the kitchen and wash/slice up fruits/veggies & prepare healthy meals. Its easier to just open a container of ice cream scoop and eat. (or is it? or is that just an excuse I've been using)

I work as a pre-k teacher, around kids I'm ALWAYS getting sick! Recently I've been trying to remind myself that the healthy foods I DON'T feel like eating while I'm sick are the ones that I really should be eating to get my body back and healthy.

I like the applesauce idea! Applesauce with a dash of cinnamon and a squirt of some light-whipped cream to fix a craving. Apple sauce is filling in your stomach so maybe that will keep you satisfied.
    Another thing I was thinking is a fruit salad! With any kind of fruit you enjoy eating... fruit is sweet and maybe the variety of different sweet fruits will help control your cravings.

Then there is the "moderation" idea... if you're craving something, have some! Just make sure you log the calories and use proper portions. If you're REALLY craving ice cream maybe you can eat 1serving of ice cream (what is one serving of ice cream? like 1/2 cup?) and slice bananas to put in..bananas are sweet, healthy, and filling!! Just make sure you track what you're eating and stay within your calorie goal.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!!
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Low calorie yogurt in yummy friut flavors, crystal light (calorie free) sugar free cranberry juice or cranberry/blueberry blend. Hope you feel better soon!