Best and worst - Dating, Wedding, In-Laws, etc

Options
Ok!!! Time to relieve some stress! I know there's at least three of us (even if no one else joined in) that could keep this going for years. Tell me your story....... best date, worst date, great wedding, worst wedding, in-laws - love 'em? hate 'em?

I'll go first with a lil snip-it of my wedding. My brother in laws gf was used as a stand-in for me during rehearsal, they wouldn't let my mom come within 10 feet and the DRIVEWAY with her lit cig just before the rehearsal dinner, just before photos my older sis picks a fight with me and then she leaves 15 minutes into the reception - during the father daughter dance....

Replies

• mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Ok!!! Time to relieve some stress! I know there's at least three of us (even if no one else joined in) that could keep this going for years. Tell me your story....... best date, worst date, great wedding, worst wedding, in-laws - love 'em? hate 'em?

I'll go first with a lil snip-it of my wedding. My brother in laws gf was used as a stand-in for me during rehearsal, they wouldn't let my mom come within 10 feet and the DRIVEWAY with her lit cig just before the rehearsal dinner, just before photos my older sis picks a fight with me and then she leaves 15 minutes into the reception - during the father daughter dance....
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't happen to be rednecks would you.....:wink:

My future in-laws......
    Interesting people, they never communicate with anyone in their family, you never see the father and the mother has these backwords ideas of what women can and can't do! Also....I worry about getting some weird disease when I visit cause their house is really messy....too many pets not enough people willing to take responsibility for them.....if you know what I mean. Sibs-in-law.....more interesting stories.....but after noting the above not overly surprised....you have the "saintly" ones and you have the "hella" sinners....it's crazy and of course no one talks....they joke....but never talk seriously.

It drives me nuts.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    My in laws are morbidly obese...BIL, SIL, MIL, niece... all of them are.... I hope my husband doesn't end up that way. He's not that much overweight...maybe he could lose 15....but I think their problems are just because they're pretty crazy in general. But they really love me, and I guess that's all that counts. My wedding went off without a hitch, everything according to plan...except for the photographer telling my MIL that if she scoots behind the person next to her in the picture she'll automatically lose 10 pounds. That sucked.

Hmmm...dates. My dating life was CRAZY. I'm glad I'm married now and don't have to subject myself anymore to that bs...I did SO many things out of insecurity and immaturity. Phew...I least I made it out alive.
  • mholmes
    Options
    Yeh... we're country but not overly rednecky. My dads from WV and my moms from Miami. They've lived in SC forever but never adopted the redneck lifestyle or the country accent. My in-laws are very um.... well what I consider rude sometimes. For instance we bought this property and on it was 76 years of history. Old refridgerators, old pepsi bottles, old firedogs and whisky bottles. They his family came over one week-end uninvited to "help" and threw away a ton of stuff we wanted to keep for momentos and because I just love anything antique or that has a story. The old fridges (like '50's diner style) I was going to clean up and repaint to use in the big game shed we wanna build but I walked in my back yard to see them in pieces in the back of one my husbands aunts truck. I said "NO! I wanna save those take it down please" and she said "Nothing is coming out of the back of that truck, it's junk" Then I got yelled at by his grama for being upset.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Yeh... we're country but not overly rednecky. My dads from WV and my moms from Miami. They've lived in SC forever but never adopted the redneck lifestyle or the country accent. My in-laws are very um.... well what I consider rude sometimes. For instance we bought this property and on it was 76 years of history. Old refridgerators, old pepsi bottles, old firedogs and whisky bottles. They his family came over one week-end uninvited to "help" and threw away a ton of stuff we wanted to keep for momentos and because I just love anything antique or that has a story. The old fridges (like '50's diner style) I was going to clean up and repaint to use in the big game shed we wanna build but I walked in my back yard to see them in pieces in the back of one my husbands aunts truck. I said "NO! I wanna save those take it down please" and she said "Nothing is coming out of the back of that truck, it's junk" Then I got yelled at by his grama for being upset.

They sound like lovely people....:huh:

Our wedding was pretty seamless too. I was a pretty laidback bride though. Let my bridesmaids pick the dress color & style that they liked. Figured since they had to buy the dresses they should pick out what they like.

Me
    > angel4.gif
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    My BIL was married in Vegas by Elvis. That was fun, in it's own way.

I actually had to wear sea-foam green at one wedding - Renaissance style, yep.

My nephew's mother (not SIL, thank goodness), wore a sequined, low-cut, cocktail dress to my wedding. She is still referred to by my in-laws at the silver lady.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    My BIL was married in Vegas by Elvis. That was fun, in it's own way.

I actually had to wear sea-foam green at one wedding - Renaissance style, yep.

My nephew's mother (not SIL, thank goodness), wore a sequined, low-cut, cocktail dress to my wedding. She is still referred to by my in-laws at the silver lady.

Yuck!!

I went to a wedding where the bridesmaids wore the ugliest, brown calico dresses I've ever seen. They were soooooo hideous. I would've been pi$$ed if I had to wear that! :laugh:
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My hubby is catholic....I was raised babtist....
    families were pulling us in different ways on where to get married...
    so me and my hubby ran off to vegas...
    problem solved!!! lol
    I was with my hubby for 5 years before we tied the knot...and I had a sister in law that gave me hell for all those years....
    I MEAN HELL....
    now we are really close...go figure!:frown:
  • randimockensturm
    randimockensturm Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    oh my worst date! I have so many where to start.
    - I have one that came to my house to pick me up. I had him wait in the living room and when I came down stairs he was buck naked on my couch!
    - I had another who after taking me to dinner and then for a drink - when he dropped me off and wanted to come in and I said 'no' [see I learned from the first one] he started listing all the money he had spent on me including pennies. "I spent 50 dollars and 39 cents on you tonight - I should have permission to come in"
    I have a few more - maybe a bit too much for here though <grin>
  • mholmes
    Options
    thinking.gif lets see...what else....

OH YEH!! My hubby and I got married late October of 06. He's a bit of a mama's boy, but I don't mind. So anyway she gets him a credit card the day before we get married without asking me - his soon to be wife but who cares - and I HATE cc's!! They're death traps, especially first thing in a marriage. So then 2 weeks before Christmas we find out his old checking account is overdrawn by like 1500 bucks!!!!!!!! :explode: 2 WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!! Come to find out she, trying to take care of her baby (cause I obviously wasn't doing a good job) asked if he'd paid his car ins. and he said no, she said she'd write the check and mail it out since she was on his old account. WELLLLLL she wrote the check for a full friggin year or something and there was only 18 dollars in the account because we were only keeping it open for his lunches and stuff and until he got a card and was added on to my account. I made him repremand her decision, tell her IIIIII was his wife, and not to use the account again. 2 months later (with what should have been 1.75 in the account) I went in to close it since everything had been fixed with the 1500 and it was over drawn again.... by 350. She bought new tires and her check was denied so she wrote it out of my hubby's account and forgot to tell us. :grumble:
  • mholmes
    Options
    oh my worst date! I have so many where to start.
    - I have one that came to my house to pick me up. I had him wait in the living room and when I came down stairs he was buck naked on my couch!
    - I had another who after taking me to dinner and then for a drink - when he dropped me off and wanted to come in and I said 'no' [see I learned from the first one] he started listing all the money he had spent on me including pennies. "I spent 50 dollars and 39 cents on you tonight - I should have permission to come in"
    I have a few more - maybe a bit too much for here though <grin>

Hahahahaha!!!:laugh:
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I went to a wedding where the bride maid everyone wear black, that way (in her mind) she would extremely stand out and be the most beautiful thing at the wedding.....but it did not look that way at the wedding. It looked like a funeral....it was strange
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I went to a wedding where the bride maid everyone wear black, that way (in her mind) she would extremely stand out and be the most beautiful thing at the wedding.....but it did not look that way at the wedding. It looked like a funeral....it was strange

Black was really in for bridesmaid's about 5-10 years ago. It would be flattering anyway.

Better then the royal blue sateen I wore once. :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

OH YEH!! My hubby and I got married late October of 06. He's a bit of a mama's boy, but I don't mind. So anyway she gets him a credit card the day before we get married without asking me - his soon to be wife but who cares - and I HATE cc's!! They're death traps, especially first thing in a marriage. So then 2 weeks before Christmas we find out his old checking account is overdrawn by like 1500 bucks!!!!!!!! :explode: 2 WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!! Come to find out she, trying to take care of her baby (cause I obviously wasn't doing a good job) asked if he'd paid his car ins. and he said no, she said she'd write the check and mail it out since she was on his old account. WELLLLLL she wrote the check for a full friggin year or something and there was only 18 dollars in the account because we were only keeping it open for his lunches and stuff and until he got a card and was added on to my account. I made him repremand her decision, tell her IIIIII was his wife, and not to use the account again. 2 months later (with what should have been 1.75 in the account) I went in to close it since everything had been fixed with the 1500 and it was over drawn again.... by 350. She bought new tires and her check was denied so she wrote it out of my hubby's account and forgot to tell us. :grumble:

Omg, sounds like my ex-husbands mother! She never could let go of her baby. He would constantly be out of money and when I would push him about it he would confess to buying groceries for his parents (and cigarettes or whatever else they wanted at the time). I wouldn't complain about helping parents out but they were both unemployed! Then she would show up all the time (she had a knack for showing up as soon as we hit the sheets :blushing: ). Ugh, she was a huge factor in why we aren't married anymore! (that and he took after them and decided that I could be the bread winner while he perfected his Playstation skills).
  • mholmes
    Options

Omg, sounds like my ex-husbands mother! She never could let go of her baby. He would constantly be out of money and when I would push him about it he would confess to buying groceries for his parents (and cigarettes or whatever else they wanted at the time). I wouldn't complain about helping parents out but they were both unemployed! Then she would show up all the time (she had a knack for showing up as soon as we hit the sheets :blushing: ). Ugh, she was a huge factor in why we aren't married anymore! (that and he took after them and decided that I could be the bread winner while he perfected his Playstation skills).

No ma'am. I'll take care of crap like that in a minute!! I so agree though, there's nothing wrong with helping family! All in all, she made some mistakes but my MIL is a great person! She'd give us her last crumb and never ask for a penny. My hubby's dad passed away when Bryan was 10 so with him being the man of the house I think monetarily it was hard for her to get used to now having his help or having to balance his bills and budget for him...
  • Koozy81
    Koozy81 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Black was really in for bridesmaid's about 5-10 years ago. It would be flattering anyway.

No no no Shannon, it wasnt just the wedding party, it was requested on the INVITE FOR EVERYONE to wear black....everyone attending the event......:huh: :huh:
  • mholmes
    Options

No no no Shannon, it wasnt just the wedding party, it was requested on the INVITE FOR EVERYONE to wear black....everyone attending the event......:huh: :huh:

:noway: creepy. just creepy.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, no bad stories about this kind of stuff.

The only thing about the FIL is that he will tell me to my face if my dinner or lunch doesn't taste good.
    So, I guess you've all figured out that I no longer cook for him. My dh is responsible for food when he comes over. lol

It used to offend me but it doesn't anymore. :sad: J/K!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Well, I don't get along with my MIL but no major horror stories (I fake it and get along with her when I have to see her for DH and the kids sake)
    DH is an only child....(surprise, huh?)
    The icing on the cake was when we got married in Vegas....of course she didn't blame DH (when it was HIS idea) but blamed me 100%..oh well...no sweat

I had one BAD blind date story...I posted this a few weeks ago I think
    So for those that haven't already read it..here it is in a nutshell
    When I was about 20 I was set up on a blind day to go to a Faternity formal
    The guy shows up, TOTALLY not my type wearing one of those dinner/sports jackets with the suede patches on the elbows
    He told me within the first 10 minutes of meeting him that he is in the process of kicking a REALLY bad drug habit and on and on
    After that tid bit, I tried to stay clear of him at the dance...
    On the way home in the bus (one of those big party buses)
    He got on the microphone and yelled me name and called me a SLUT....

Never saw him again...and no more blind dates for me :)
    Kim
  • mholmes
    Options
    I'm lucky, no bad stories about this kind of stuff.

The only thing about the FIL is that he will tell me to my face if my dinner or lunch doesn't taste good.
    So, I guess you've all figured out that I no longer cook for him. My dh is responsible for food when he comes over. lol

It used to offend me but it doesn't anymore. :sad: J/K!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

untitled.jpgYa know what? If you're not gonna complain with the rest of us then hit the back button! AAAAHHHHcopy.jpg

HOLY CHEESE & RICE THATS HUGE
    P.S. J/K by the way :wink: