It's almost camping season!!! :]

Options
prettyinpink117
prettyinpink117 Posts: 30 Member
I can't wait to venture out on our first camping trip in a month! I am looking for a few good low calorie, vegetarian camp meal ideas! We have a little grill and of course a fire!! Also, any ideas for some low calorie trail snack ideas as we will be hiking a majority of the day?

On another topic, has anyone tried the litelife gimme lean sausage?

Thank you!!

Replies

• ashleighk2010
    Options
    Since you're going to be hiking all day I wouldn't worry too much about low-cal... just try to get healthy things!

I can't wait for camping either!!! =]
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    AHHHHH!!!!! I am SOOO EXCITED for camping! I love love love it! I could LIVE in a tent!!! I would like some good recipes too!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite camping treats (when others roast marshmallows) is to core and roughly chop an apple, sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar, wrap it in heavy duty aluminum foil, and snuggle it into the coals (like you'd bake a potato.) So good.

If you're car camping and have a big icebox, then you can bring ziplock bags of chili beans or a good vegetable stew that you've previously frozen. Or dal. Then, at camp, make a salad and quickly heat flour tortillas while you reheat the main course.

We eat a lot of a salad, quesadillas, pancakes, oatmeal, fruit (both cooked and raw), couscous, and spaghetti when camping, but we're definitely car campers.

Snacks: nuts and dried fruit; fresh apples; granola bars (especially for our kids); grapes (if you've got a non-smooshy portion of your pack); I pack a few hard candies, as well, in case someone needs easy sugar.
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    One of my favorite camping 'treats/dinner". Get some good, hard crackers, diced tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, light chicken in a can, bell pepper, mild chilis. Dice all the veggies, add to the meat (add any juices too!) Celery salt, garlic powder, a tough of lime salt, dill, chili powder. Mix all together, cover and let set a couple of hours to get the full benefit of the tastes.

Serve on hard crackers, or a good small loaf of hard crusted bread, sliced, sprayed with olive oil spray, a bit of garlic powder and browned over the open fire. We have a tt and even then we cook outside as much as possibl

It is, for us, fantastic. Between that and the fish we grill with olive oil, bell peppers and onions, we could be set for the summer. The occasional low fat grill beef with wheat buns and mozzerella cheese is a fun treat. The grand children come and beg for that!

If there are any trails, I walk them for at least an hour with our dog. I can't do the elliptical but there are endless opportunities to burn calories and I take everyone of them I can with my camera in hand. :)

Have fun!!!
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are also big campers. Unfortunately, we won't be doing any actual camping this year because I had a baby in November so we're going to wait until next summer - but we have lots of state parks around to do hiking in!

I like to do foil packets over the fire. Potatoes & garlic and zucchini, squash & onions are my two go-tos. I usually make a pasta salad and fruit salad to take. I also make my own trail mix with nuts, dried fruit, sunflower seeds and m&ms.

I have had the lightlife ground sausage and I wasn't a fan. I do, however, love the Morning Star sausage patties.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Black Bean Burgers...there's a great recipe on foodnetworktv from the show "Big Daddy's House", episode "Veggie Mania". I use oatmeal instead of the flour called for as the binder. Complex carbs, filling, great with the spinach and roasted red peppers. Good after an active day. Make patties ahead, keep in the cooler. Cook on a grill over the fire.

Or make some hummus, good for a snack. If you make it yourself you can control your ingredients, to make it more nutritious.

All these recipes, makes be want to go camping, too!
  • misden23
    misden23 Posts: 6
    Options
    There are lots of trail mix recipes on allrecipes.com. And if you read the reviews there are many variations of the recipes. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I was just thinking the same thing yesterday about camping season so I started searching for some recipes! Can't wait! Hope you find this helpful!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    We camp all winter long. Last camp out it was -5 degrees. Get your gear ready and Camp!!
  • cunokyle
    cunokyle Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can not wait to start camping this year!
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recipie ideas but if you have a pie iron you could make some light vegitarian (sp) sandwiches.
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My sister -in-law makes a yummy banana dessert on the coals. All you have to do is put a whole banana on the coals and leave there till it's warm. Then slice it open and toss in some chocolate or peanut butter chips. Warm, melty, gooey and delicious! (I think there have been microwave versions of this recipe posted on here before).
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump. Love me some camping!
  • glendadykstra
    Options
    And with your low cal cooking practice, you can even cook for your mom. :)))) *Hopeful look*
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am SO excited. We go to Saranac Lake every year for our "big" trip with my fiance's dad, sister and her husband. It's SO FUN. But we eat like crazy lol. And since the camp sites are on islands, there's not a lot of "hiking" to do around the site. Definitely going to suggest hiking a mountain trail this year. But seriously, my fiance's family is Italian... we have bacon, eggs, pancakes, and the most AMAZING homefries (made with bacon fat no less lol) every day for breakfast, usually a light lunch, and then a great dinner like chicken cutlets and penne. So I am definitely looking for some healthy snacks/lunch items. Plus they'd be good for our smaller weekend camping trips.

I love the Great Value (Wal*Mart) brand of the Almond Granola Energy mix. Also Kashi bars are a great snack too!