bike helmet

Options
This may be a dumb question, but I am shopping for my first bike helmet. I don't want one, but I promised my husband I would get one. Should it match my bike? Problem is, my bike is purple and I found a nice helmet in purple, but I'm already feeling really nerdy and feel like I need a "bad *kitten* helmet" to not feel nerdy....is it nerdy to have a purple bike and matching purple helmet? Lol

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't really have an opinion on this but it did give me a good chuckle this morning. Make sure you post pics of whichever helmet you get! :bigsmile:
  • iaho1976
    iaho1976 Posts: 49
    Options
    It's not nerdy if you like it and it saves your life !!

I resisted wearing one for years but now I won't leave home without one....

Ian
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Aside from worrying about the color, make sure it fits your head properly and meets all safety requirements. If you check out a bike shop, they usually have a good run on a various amounts of helmets (maybe even a purple one). My bike is black and my helmet I guess matches it but I wouldn't worry about that... this isn't like matching your purse with your shoes...
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    you totally cracked me up....get a skater helmet instead of a bike helmet...itll protect your noggin and the little kids'll think youre cool :D i hope youre smiling!
  • nikkijay
    nikkijay Posts: 17
    Options
    what the..............?
    NERD! haha get the skater helment. Might look dorky but whateva!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it matches your bike, but if that makes you feel good (and more likely to wear it) i say go for it.

Helmets stopped being nerdy about 20 years ago when the general public started wearing them. Even if they did look dorky, i'd much rather keep my brain intact than care about fashion. If you bike, eventually you will have a wipeout & i can speak from experience saying that a helmet can make the difference between an embarrassing fall and a ride in an ambulance.
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Better to be safe than sorry! Purple sounds good :happy:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i never bike without a hemet ....... just get a decent one and not a walmart cheapie
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Really... Who cares if it did look nerdy? What I say to my kids is..Think about how you would look if you suffered brain damage, walked awkward, drooled, or was paralyzed and in a wheel chair.

Thats how I look at it. Definitely get a good one thats going to fit right, and make it cute or whatever you want. It can be fun to have a cool helmet!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    i never bike without a hemet ....... just get a decent one and not a walmart cheapie

Actually I heard that all bike helmets have to meet a certain safety standard, so even a "walmart cheapie" would meet those standards, and anything more, like an expensive one from REI is paying for either extra comfort or the brand (or in this case the fancy store). Is that correct?
  • fatboypup
    Options
    they do meet the safety standards but the weights and airflow and fit arent the same .... take it from someone thats bought the cheapie and a expensive REI one ..... its better to buy 1 and be done lol

Actually I heard that all bike helmets have to meet a certain safety standard, so even a "walmart cheapie" would meet those standards, and anything more, like an expensive one from REI is paying for either extra comfort or the brand (or in this case the fancy store). Is that correct?
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Really... Who cares if it did look nerdy? What I say to my kids is..Think about how you would look if you suffered brain damage, walked awkward, drooled, or was paralyzed and in a wheel chair.

Thats how I look at it. Definitely get a good one thats going to fit right, and make it cute or whatever you want. It can be fun to have a cool helmet!

Wow, this didn't sound very good. I didn't mean for it to sound offensive, I myself have suffered brain trauma from an accident, have worked with people who have brain injuries, etc... I in no way meant for this to sound like I"m not sensitive. It's just that it's a huge risk to not wear a helmet, and I feel very passionate about it. There are so many more things that could be far more uncomfortable than wearing a helmet. (I really hate how hot my head gets in the summer wearing it) but it's just not a chance worth taking. Just to be more comfortable.
  • fatboypup
    Options
    get a GIRO
    $40 dollars 5 star rated
    http://www.rei.com/product/747019
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Wow, this didn't sound very good. I didn't mean for it to sound offensive, I myself have suffered brain trauma from an accident, have worked with people who have brain injuries, etc... I in no way meant for this to sound like I"m not sensitive. It's just that it's a huge risk to not wear a helmet, and I feel very passionate about it. There are so many more things that could be far more uncomfortable than wearing a helmet. (I really hate how hot my head gets in the summer wearing it) but it's just not a chance worth taking. Just to be more comfortable.

I personally was not offended. The truth isn't pretty and you spoke the truth, honestly it kind of hit home for me....I mean I've accepted getting a helmet because I promised my husband I would, but your statement pointed out that it's true, a little awkwardness and feeling nerdy about a helmet sure beats what could happen. My main resistance to it was my stubbornness saying, "I rode a bike for years as a kid and nothing ever happened that a helmet would have helped". But honestly just because nothing ever happened as a kid doesn't mean it won't. I also didn't take 20+ mile rides and ride along the shoulder of a fairly busy road as a kid. I drive on this road as well and I see how people sometimes drift onto the shoulder, that's kinda scary.

Plus, six months ago my uncle fell out of his deer blind, broke his back and is now paralyzed from the waist down. He's been hunting for most of his life and apparently felt comfortable enough to not wear his harness. He thinks he fell asleep and tumbled the 25 feet down.....if he had had his harness on, he wouldn't be in a wheelchair right now. So THANK YOU for your words, not insensitive at all.
  • Becky1971
    Options

I personally was not offended. The truth isn't pretty and you spoke the truth, honestly it kind of hit home for me....I mean I've accepted getting a helmet because I promised my husband I would, but your statement pointed out that it's true, a little awkwardness and feeling nerdy about a helmet sure beats what could happen. My main resistance to it was my stubbornness saying, "I rode a bike for years as a kid and nothing ever happened that a helmet would have helped". But honestly just because nothing ever happened as a kid doesn't mean it won't. I also didn't take 20+ mile rides and ride along the shoulder of a fairly busy road as a kid. I drive on this road as well and I see how people sometimes drift onto the shoulder, that's kinda scary.

Plus, six months ago my uncle fell out of his deer blind, broke his back and is now paralyzed from the waist down. He's been hunting for most of his life and apparently felt comfortable enough to not wear his harness. He thinks he fell asleep and tumbled the 25 feet down.....if he had had his harness on, he wouldn't be in a wheelchair right now. So THANK YOU for your words, not insensitive at all.

I'm glad that it helped. It's so easy to think it's not a big deal, so many of us are guilty of that, no matter what the issue is, I just think it's smart to weigh the risks with the inconvenience, no matter what the chances are.

I'm really sorry to hear about your uncle. Sometimes things just happen, I have been trying to explain that to my newly licensed son, sometimes accidents just happen, we have to do all we can to try and prevent them.