Is too much protein bad?

Options
So since I've started my food diary, I have realized that in the past every single meal I ate in a day was very carb-heavy. So I've been trying really hard to focus more on protein this week, which I do realize keeps me full a lot longer. But yesterday I went over my MFP-recommended protein intake, as I had salmon for lunch and a chicken breast for dinner. Is this bad? Can I get too much protein? I am working out with resistance training 3x a week, so hoping that protein will transform into lean muscle mass. Thoughts?

Replies

• workoutqueen628
    Options
    MFP's settings are high in carbs and low in protein. When I used their settings, I didn't lose weight. Then, I customized my settings to 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I have had great success with these settings/ my body def. responded to less carbs and more protein. A lot of my other friends on this site have the same customized settings. Try it and see if it works for you! Going over on protein isn't bad, unless you're going over by a ridiculous amount.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    MFP protein figures are very low, if you are training too then you can consume upto 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. I've read your body just disposes of any excess protein so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Protein is food for your muscles, so feed them well! :)

Ben.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    Depending on what way of living you're choosing to eat according to. Whether it is high carb, low carb, low fat, etc. A great site for calculating is http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm. After you figure out which eating plan you want to follow as a lifestyle change ( I won't say diet), then you can click on "goals" on MFP and customize accordingly. Good luck on your weight loss journey! ~smile
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    depeneds on your life style. If you are very active and on your feet most of the day then most likely not. My diet consest of 2000 cals 60% protien 20% carbs 20% fat. This is what i do when i cut. You can look at my daily meals and get a idea.
  • ekbontje
    ekbontje Posts: 36
    Options
    MFP's settings are high in carbs and low in protein. When I used their settings, I didn't lose weight. Then, I customized my settings to 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I have had great success with these settings/ my body def. responded to less carbs and more protein. A lot of my other friends on this site have the same customized settings. Try it and see if it works for you! Going over on protein isn't bad, unless you're going over by a ridiculous amount.

Thanks, this is a great suggestion and I didn't even know that I could change those settings! Thanks to everyone for your feedback, I won't worry about getting too much protein now :)
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Many weight-lifters/body-builders like to consume at least 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight. Others even more.
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I changed my carbs to 35 percent about 120 carbs a day, remember you can deduct dietary fiber from the carbs because the body does not diget dietary fiber. I have never had this easy a time on a diet and have lost 77 lbs since Oct 10th. Diet is set for 2 lbs week but am exercising and not uping the calories and am loseing more then the 2 lbs a week.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't like MFPs settings for protein. I routinely go over. I eat very little bread, white rice or pasta. Just some whole grains at breakfast usually.