night eating

Options
2»

Replies

• thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I usually exercise about an hour-hour 1/2 after dinner and that cures my hunger. Night eating use to be my biggest problem, but since I started doing that I've been loosing weight and I also sleep better!! Good luck to you!

Ditto that works great for me.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I am a night time snacker myself so I just do as Taso said and I adjust my calories during the day to allow some extra room for it. If you really want to cut it out all together for some reason, try drinking some herbal teas instead.
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    This is a struggle for me also. I try to stay out of the kitchen at night. I always make sure I have water to drink besides the bed and it helps me. I wake about every three hours or so anyway so the drinking at night is not a big deal for me
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    It's unsettling how many people here are implying or even explicitly saying that eating at night is a "problem".....

I had a 280 calorie shake containing 22g of carbs and 42g of protein last night around 12:15am, then went upstairs, brushed, and went to bed. This was a *slightly* later than usual last meal, but I thought nothing of it. I had no reservations about it. I had finished a late night workout, so naturally I needed to eat, and I needed the calories to stay on track with my plan. I weighed in this morning back at my record low weight, which I hit a few days ago, and I will probably bust through to a new low within the next few days.

The "don't eat late at night thing" is an old myth. If you follow this rule, you aren't helping yourself. You are creating a handicap.

I don't think that people are saying that the time of day is bad. Time of day doesn't matter - it's calories in vs. calories used. The problem is that we tend to eat mindlessly in the evening and that is what we are trying to avoid.

I agree that many are implying the night time eating is bad. If it is just a matter of mindless eating, that is a problem, but night is not the issue.

As a formerly fat person, I think that much of our problem is not mindless night time eating, but mindless eating in general. We should never eat mindlessly because unlike skinny people whose minds seem to stop eating at the right point even if they don't think about it, ours seem not to. I am realizing that I will likely need to consciously consider my eating for the rest of my life if I am going to maintain a healthy weight.