shin splints

Options
This happens everytime I get serious about working out. A week into it i get shin splints. I am doing about 10 min of stretching for this and it still happens. any suggestions? It hurts so much I have to quit working out which is a huge motivational hiccup for me.

Replies

• mollyanne01
    mollyanne01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always have to be careful because I'm prone to shin splints. They are an overuse injury so my first thought is that you might be overdoing it a bit. If you decide that is not the case or are stubborn (like me) I recommend ibuprofen and ice. I find it helpful to take ibuprofen about 30 minutes before I run and then ice for 10-15 minutes after. When dealing with shin splints I often ice multiple times a day. Also you might want to look at the type of shoe you are wearing. Make sure it's the right kind for the type of working out you are doing and the right shoe for your foot (ie: gait, over-pronation, etc.)
  • anidiotabroad
    Options
    I've found that people who get shin splints are generally trying to run, but the impact is too much for your shins right now. I used to have the same problem years ago. I found it best to go on the cross trainer, as it is virtually no impact on the legs and strengthens them over time so that running will become easier.

Hope this helps
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    What working out are you doing? If it's running outside then you need to make sure that you have the right trainers. I have had shin splints when I have increased activity too quickly rather than gradually. I manage to work through it but it makes my legs feel like concrete - so I have every sympathy with you.

Massaging after work outs also helps too.

Best of luck.

Alison

x
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Some people are just prone to shin splints. You could try getting some orthotics to wear inside your shoe to correct the foot movement/placement (this can be expensive). Also, try and run on "soft" surfaces like grass and avoid concrete. Every night, write the alphabet with your toes (in the air). Also, ice and elevate the shins after every run to decrease the inflamation.

I've had shin splints for years and have tried EVERYTHING. Nothing really works for me except running less. I do a lot of bike, swimming and rowing instead, and can only run once a week. Annoying, but you need to work within the limitations that your body gives you!!

Good luck.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    The below link is an excellent source for information and the prevention of shin splints. If you just started working out recently, you may have tried to do too much when you first got started. You may need to rest your muscles for about three days and then start back into your exercise routine for shorter workout times at first.
    Day 1 20 min
    Day 2 30 min
    Adding time gradually will help. A good soak in an Epsom Salt bath will help with the pain :)
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I get shin splints on and off, and the best treatment I have found for them is to take a cold bottle from the fridge (like a canned drink or a water bottle) and roll it up and down my shins for 10-20 minutes each. It hurts at first, but the next day my legs feel brand new. I've read that you can also do this with a wooden dow, but I like the cold from the bottles on my sore spots and seems to help a lot more.
  • mollyanne01
    mollyanne01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a less expensive alternative to custom orthotics, I highly, highly recommend Foot Disc insoles (feetgeek.com). They are made specifically for runners. As a high mileage endurance runner, I've suffered pretty much every runner's malady possible. These are the only things that helped my plantar Plantar Fasciitis.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for ideas and input. I am only doing 30 day shred and I slowly added an indoor walk I do. I have good shoes and do it on carpet so maybe I am just one of those prone to them. Previously in a weight loss effort I used to get them for even a 20 min workout as well. I will def. Be icing them!! I have always wanted to run but with these shins have always dreaded it. Thanks again!! :smile: