Brand New, I Need Some Advice On How To Lose!!

Options
Hi, I am 5'3, 127 lbs. I want to lose 20 lbs by this summer and I am not sure what foods to eat or what exercises I should focus on. Any advice would really help me out! Thanks!

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, it's good to avoid overly processed foods. Try to avoid drinking your calories too - one glass of coke or whatever can be a whole meal, or at least a decent snack.

I find it helps to keep an eye on nutrients. With the iPhone app, you can check all your nutrients for the day. If you're low on a few, try to put together a meal or snack that has those. You can also set your diary to show up to six nutrients, so pick the ones you want to keep an eye on. That way, you can see which foods do what.

What most people do is come up with a few 300 calorie meals, and mix and match those throughout the day.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and the suggested weight is 112 to 130. So be careful. I would def avoid processed foods and watch your calories. Think natural foods!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Consistency is a Big Part of success, in my opinion. Whatever exercise you choose, find one that you enjoy enough to do it regularly!! Not neccesarily every day unless you alternate activitys, but at least every other day.
    Small frequent meals and not drinking your calories as the previous poster mentioned is very wise advice.

:flowerforyou: Good Luck!!
  • timpatrick
    timpatrick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Start out with a daily goal of exercise that you can commit to....however small, it doesn't matter. Then build up on top of it. For example, 15 minutes daily on the elliptical is a great base starting out. Then you can feel even better when you put in 30-45 minutes on days.

Focusing on exercise will help you keep food decisions in perspective, also I find that exercise before dinner reduces the portion size I desire.

Good Luck!
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    trying to get something to post
  • bnv08
    bnv08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    these were all very helpful, thanks everyone! and i never knew about the "drinking my calories", i'll be sure to watch that from now on!