vegetarian?

Options
I have wanted to become a vegetarian but I don't know any info. If anyone has some suggestions or recipes I would love whatever you can tell me.

Replies

• Ceoc
    Ceoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and have been vegetarian for about 4-5 years now. Balance is super important and quality of food (especially carbs) becomes a priority. Greek yogurt, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, nuts, peanut butter, sunflower butter, beans are all good complex foods to keep you satisfied and balanced. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and remember that just because donuts are vegetarian doesn't mean they are good for you :) I transitioned gradually which helped figure out what foods did well for me. Try keeping a food journal to figure out how you feel eating certain foods and pay attention to your energy and activity level and adjust your diet as necessary. Soups and stir fries are great meals to start with and easy to combine proteins, carbs and fruits and veg. And make sure you take a multivitamin! I try to stay away from the processed "meat" type foods but they can be a good treat.

My favorite cookbooks are the Moosewood Cookbook, Veganomicon, and How to Cook everything Vegetarian.

There's lots of info and opinions out there so meeting with a nutritionist is a good idea (I do so every once in a while just to check in), but really how you feel is your best indication.
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    I am a vegan since two years back, and before that I was a vegetarian for five years. Being a vegetarian I never paid any attention too my food, and just by eating actual food and not crap you pretty much get what you need. Being a vegetarian is not hard, but it requires you to re-think how you cook. There are also lots of great vegetarian (and sometimes vegan) products out there now, to help you.

Being a vegan I have to think a bit more about what I eat. Being a vegetarian is no problem. It is pretty much impossible to get protein deficient if you eat all your calories in food (you will fint that mfp tells you you need lots of protein whick is not true, although vaires from person to person), if you eat dairy you will get your calcium and b12, lots of leafy greans and legumes are good for iron.

Add me as a friend if you like! :)
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am wanting recipes also>
  • GypsyRoaddog
    GypsyRoaddog Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Go to the library & get some vegetarian cookbooks. Go through them & mark recipes pages with a bookmark that look good to You. Each week, go back through & make a shopping list from the recipes. Buy the stuff & make the meals. Take books to a copy machine & copy recipes for meals You liked. Over time, You will have a cookbook of recipes You like and no buying cookbooks, which are expensive, and no guarantee You'll like the meals. That's how i did it . . .

My profile mentions a couple of books that are superb for a really committed nutritionally balanced dietary regimen.

The first few store runs will likely be expensive cuz You'll need lotsa spices, pks of stuff that You use only a small part of, etc. As You go along, You'll have collected the spices etc., and have partial cans/jars/packages of other ingredients and so your shopping bill will reduce.

One more thing: I'll bet You will find that most of what You get (food, not spices, cornstarch, etc) will be from around the perimeter of the store and very few items from the aisles. Wait & see & let me know :>)

Last but most certainly not least, feel free to msg me. These forums get so much input that I've found posts can get lost quickly . . .

gyps