Such thing as too much of a good thing?

Options
'Someone' sent a message to me today saying that I am working my body 'too hard' and that my cardio sessions are 'too long' and that I am probably going to stop 'losing weight' because I am not following a proper weight loss routine. This 'someone' said that I eat too little and burn too much. According to this self proclaimed expert who still has over 100 lbs to lose, I am apparently going about my journey all wrong and need to 'stop and enjoy myself'.

As of this week, I have lost 10 inches off my waist, 6 inches off my hips, 5 inches off my chest and 30 lbs...I started Dec 26th 2010. I started off very unfit. I have asthma. I started with 30DS everyday followed by 60 minutes of cardio on a bike or treadmill. I have since moved on to other Jillian Michael's DVDs including NMTZ and BMFM and 6wk6pk and now am on Level 2 of Ripped in 30 and plan on doing each level for 7 days and there is 4 levels. Currently using 5lbs weights and hope to start all over from the top using 8lb weights. I do 60 minutes of cardio everyday. Some days I will do morning and evening cardio for a total of 90-120 minutes of cardio a day. I do take time off by having an easy day where I pick one exercise and do nothing else. I mentioned I am asthmatic because....after all of this hard work and dedication I can now jog for almost an hour which I have never been able to do in my lifetime even when I was at my healthiest and in track in high school. I have accomplished so much in very little time and I am very proud of me and find it frustrating to be told that I am doing it wrong. My weight loss has slowed down to about a pound a week but I only officially weigh myself in every 2 weeks and this last weigh in was over 3 lbs in 2 weeks! I feel like what I am doing is only benefiting me! I do know that I should be eating more but I don't believe in eating if I am not hungry and so far, I've managed to keep my appetite satisfied.

So my question is this....or series of questions actually....

How much is too much cardio? Is there such a thing?
Could someone look into my diary and tell me if they have another opinion?
Is it possible to workout too much?
What is the importance of taking days off?
and
Is it wrong that I gave this 'someone' no response and took them off my friends list? (lol)

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Really say what? Everyone is different what works for u may not work for others...You feel good, rock it out!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Do what feels good. If you have the time and energy, go for it. If you feel too tired one day, give yourself a rest.
    I'm a big exercise-addict: can't go a day without something (even if it's just a walk).

The importance of rest days: allows your muscles to recover. Ergo, it's something that's mostly applied to strength training. When I was lifting lighter weights (10lbs) I didn't really need rest days. It was only when I graduated to more intensive weight training sessions that I ever felt the need to take days off from weight lifting. Even then, I'll usually fit in at least 12-20 minutes of calisthenics.

A lot of cardio is only bad if you're not replenishing your body with water and nutrients. Take multivitamins and eat back your exercise calories (when you can).

And... what you do with friends who say things you don't like to hear is all up to you. It sounds like she was getting on her soap box to make herself feel better about her own personal journey, which probably involves a good deal less exercise.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    We are already friends and I took a look at your diary for the last few weeks as requested. Most days look fine, some were a little low on calories for the amount of exercise. If you are doing cardio only, it is not so important for the rest days, but if you do serious strength training, your muscles need a day of rest. It's all about balance. :smile: This doesn't mean you have to take days off, just switch the muscles you work and give each group a day off. You seem to be eating a good balance of foods and nutrients, and the occasional junky thing, which we all do! :wink:

As for friends who speak up, I guess it depends on how they approach it. If they are condescending or judgemental, they are gone. I don't need that. If they are honestly concerned and phrase it as a suggestion or a concern and have valid, well though out points, I listen, respond and may adjust if I see the value of it.
  • NavyKnightAg12
    Options
    First off, whoever that person is obviously just wanted someone to pick on to feel better about themselves....and that's just wrong.
    Secondly, you do what feels good. If you want take a day just to rest your muscles, then do so, but if you feel that you can do more, then do it, push yourself within reason. Just make sure to replenish :D
    You rock it out, and keep doing what you are doing :) Do it for you and if someone doesn't like it, then tough muscles!
  • jelezzierose
    jelezzierose Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    only you can know what your body can take and how it will react to things. bugger what anyone else thinks! this is YOUR journey and to me it just sounds like jealousy from someone who cannot yet push their body to the limits you can. GO HARD GIRL! your kicking butt :)
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If it's working and you feel good... GET IT! When things become a problem (ie you stop losing/feel crappy) then worry about changing what you're doing. Until that time, burn it up!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    read this post I put up first; http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing now once you have read the first post here is my advice. If you are working out that much then you need to feed the body accordingly or you are going to enter a catabolic state in which the body will feed off itself, if it hits that point you are actually working against the body and it will go into preservation mode (what some call starvation mode) where it will slow the metabolic rate to balance the equation. Now with that said if you are losing the inches and making things work then listen to your body and work with it. My advice to you is to educate yourself there are lots of good sources online and despite what many will say on here they are not necessarily right. Experts or not, learn your body and what works for you.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do feel great with what I am doing. These burns have allowed me to eat more and not feel guilty. Who doesn't love that? I'd like to think I am fairly educated on matters of fitness and only because I sat on my couch and read books and blogs for 2 years before deciding it was actually time to get up and do something. It was so much easier to read about it tho! Now that I understand how good it actually feels to move my body and I see the results and feel the results, I can't stop! Exercise isn't just a habit I picked up or something I 'have' to do, it's something I want to do and it's become my lifestyle. I feel discouraged when I see people say they can't, they won't, it's too much, it's not enough... Our journeys are all very different. The important thing we should remember at all times is that we all are striving for one common purpose...TO BE HEALTHY! You may do the minimum and I may do the maximum but that in no way makes you or I less of a person. I like to think that our decision to change what we know isn't right makes us all ROCKSTARS! Thanks for the support! The support makes the journey less painful.